Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most valuable review site?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm thinking to pop past customers a mail asking for feedback for my own website, and if they wouldn't mind, maybe posting a review on the likes of Google or Facebook. I don't want to ask them to do too much so just wondering where should be the number 1 place I should look for people to post reviews?

My first guess is Google, perhaps a higher review/star rating will be good for SEO as well as this being where most people will find me anyway, so seeing good reviews and feedback will influence them here also.

I'm not sure exactly where to send them though, the link to the review page on Google seems to change with whatever search term got me there. Does this link bring everyone to the right page? http://maps.google.ie/maps/place?cid=9529551243965522023&q=vantasks&gl=ie&dtab=0&sll=53.302198,-6.151738&sspn=0.187635,0.038658&ie=UTF8&ll=53.43531,-6.515579&spn=0,0&t=h&z=11

Then there is FaceBook aswell of course which is saying to be becoming more important for business. There doesn't seem to be an option to write a review in the review tab here though www.facebook.com/VanTasks although that's possibly just because I'm the owner? Can anyone else see an option to add a review?

So would I be right in thinking Google or Facebook and if not, where else would have even more benefit?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why the shocked face? Did I ask something I shouldn't have? :o

Just thought I'd give this a little bump to try and get some feedback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i think he was shocked at the cormie cormee thing haha. Cormee i recall asking you about ikea deliveries a while ago, now i see where the confusion was :o

Haha :) I was here first :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Is the business on Google places?
    If it is then getting a couple of reviews on that would be a good idea

Facebook is a walled garden, so getting reviews on there wouldn't be as helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Here’s my quick take on the site:

I think the design is great, I’d be inclined to, for absolute clarity, change the font colour/background as they are a little too similar. Plus I’d up the font size a few notches.

If you’d intent on using the slider – make more of it –more info, function over form.

All your page titles are the same, that’s a no-no. You have to have different titles and make use of that space as it’s good.
    Your H1’s are messed up – and possibly confusing the fcuk out of spiders. You only one h1 on the home page and it’s wrapped in your logo (I’d change that). Spiders cant ‘read graphics’. But as well – the “alt” for that logo, which is being picked up, is ‘travel guide’. Emm, I thought we were in the printing game!!

As a priority get some analytics tacking on your site – it may come across a Greek now, but it will stack up in the long run. It will also begin to tell you a lot about your site.

Longer term I’d be looking at a page for each string to the bow (with properly formed urls, H1 and, most importantly – decent copy). Each page should have example of that particular work, perhaps a template for specs, production specifications – prices, Delivery – The Free delivery! etc etc etc. It’s not crap – its valuable information to the punter.

Put your address in the footer (if you can).

Hope those quick pointers steer you in the right direction

blue4ever, I think you may have posted in the wrong thread with that reply :)

Blacknight, yup, business is on Google places which is what I was thinking would probably be the best place to get reviews as people who are actually searching for my service will see it, as opposed to people who may just come across a facebook page with no need for my service, plus as you mentioned the walled structure of facebook. Maybe Google would be best for now and then when I've completed another few months of jobs I could mail those asking for facebook reviews, or maybe just mention both review pages and ask for whatever they can do.

Just to come back to this. I still haven't asked my customers for the feedback yet which I guess is good as now with Google +1, if I ask now, it may be a lot easier and more valuable to ask.

So I'm thinking I could ask in order of preference.

Review on google places
    +1
    Facebook like and review
    write back with a review I can put in my feedback section.

How does that sound in terms of value for the feedback?

Just thinking actually, it would probably be better to hold off for a few weeks/months until the world gets used to Google + before asking people to + me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

cormie wrote: »
    I still haven't asked my customers for the feedback yet which I guess is good as now with Google +1, if I ask now, it may be a lot easier and more valuable to ask.
    My own take would be to encourage any engagement there you can manage as soon as possible.

I wouldn't dwell on trying to figure out which will be of the most value to you, the truth is it's only valuable if they actually do it so trying to encourage more +1's or Google Places reviews could end up backfiring if your target market don't have Google accounts and you end up missing out on the opportunity of gaining a connection with them on other platforms. I'm sure we'll notice an increase in the number of +1's as Google+ takes off and encourages slow adopters to pick up a Google Account, but getting the activity kicked off early with the current users might also have a lot of positives.

Let the user decide where and how they wish to connect and or rate the service, giving them options will open the door to meeting them where they are most comfortable. While a places review or a FB review would be more beneficial than a like or +1, it's also far more of an inconvenience (it takes some actual effort) so ensuring you're picking up the first step of a like and/or a follow might end up providing greater results (where you can then subtly encourage the next step of making the reviews through excellent customer service).

Thanks a lot for the input! You've made a very valuable point which I didn't think about. Asking for +1's while the +1 thing is still new could get more results than asking people to +1 something when everybody is used to, and bored of doing +1's, it would be nothing new, but asking now could be asking them to try something new which is of tomorrow fad. I think I'll just write up an email asking them to do any or all of the options and hopefully some would be comfortable enough to do the more valuable options but of course any kind of feedback is always very much appreciated anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

That link takes me to the right place.

I think you are doing just perfect, just keep going asking for people to review you on both facebook and google places. Even if facebook is walled, it doesn't stop the exposure and marketing gained from getting reviews on there.

Lindsay

Advertisement