Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatos cooked with Rice? Iranian dish?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Years ago I had some Iranian friends (lost touch with them). When they cooked rice they used to have one or two halved potatoes in the bottom of the huge pot. I can't remember why, but I remember they were lush! They were a bit crispy though, which I can't figure out, as you would imagine they would be more mushy.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this method of cooking rice, and how to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Years ago I had some Iranian friends (lost touch with them). When they cooked rice they used to have one or two halved potatoes in the bottom of the huge pot. I can't remember why, but I remember they were lush! They were a bit crispy though, which I can't figure out, as you would imagine they would be more mushy.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this method of cooking rice, and how to do it?

I'm familiar with the basic idea - Michael Barry, BBC's "crafty cook" had a persian rice recipe that ended up with a crust at the bottom. He referred to the crust as "dig" and said it was the favourite part of the dish. I never managed to get it to work.

Anyway, a few minutes on google and I found this recipe: http://sweetartichoke.com/2011/01/14/potato-saffron-tah-dig-crunchy-persian-rice-tah-dig-aux-pommes-de-terre-et-safran-riz-persan-croustillant/

It looks like what you want, it fits with what Michael Barry talked about, and I'm going to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

This looks gorgeous!

Pardon me for being stupid, but how much is 0.5dl of water please

Might attempt this dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

The addition of whoel raw spud into cooking rice can also be used to extract more starch out of the rice.

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

1dl = 1 decilitre = 100ml, so 0.5dl = 50ml

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

A dL is a deci-Litre or 10centilitres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

My brother in law makes a very similar dish to this - but rather than potatoes, he uses flat breads or wraps. He cooks the rice separately, cooks the interesting bits - crispy onions and pan roasted almonds, then he lines the pan with the wraps and some oil, adds the onion and almonds, then the rice. Lid on and cook for about ten minutes to crisp the wraps. Turn out onto a serving plate so the crusty wraps and on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The addition of whoel raw spud into cooking rice can also be used to extract more starch out of the rice.

Slam

I thought that was the explanation given at the time, but thinking about it now you would imagine potato would add more starch?
    Minder wrote: »
    My brother in law makes a very similar dish to this - but rather than potatoes, he uses flat breads or wraps. He cooks the rice separately, cooks the interesting bits - crispy onions and pan roasted almonds, then he lines the pan with the wraps and some oil, adds the onion and almonds, then the rice. Lid on and cook for about ten minutes to crisp the wraps. Turn out onto a serving plate so the crusty wraps and on top.

You've just upped the ante. I was struggling with just potatoes, now I want THAT.

nompere wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the basic idea - Michael Barry, BBC's "crafty cook" had a persian rice recipe that ended up with a crust at the bottom. He referred to the crust as "dig" and said it was the favourite part of the dish. I never managed to get it to work.

Anyway, a few minutes on google and I found this recipe: http://sweetartichoke.com/2011/01/14/potato-saffron-tah-dig-crunchy-persian-rice-tah-dig-aux-pommes-de-terre-et-safran-riz-persan-croustillant/

It looks like what you want, it fits with what Michael Barry talked about, and I'm going to try it!

That looks like it, but more potatoes than my friends made (although they always kept them for me - v good hosts!), it looks delicious, many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

That looks fantastic! Must try it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I gave this a go the other night, was a bit disappointed though. I found it quite bland, I put in plenty of saffron, but it didn't really give as much flavor as I'd hoped. I think I'll try it again, but I'd be tempted to add some fried n'diced shallots, cinnamon, ground chilli, sultana's and whatnot.

Or am I missing the point altogether?

• Advertisement

Well the way I had it was just as an extra nice bit with the rice being an accompaniment, rather than a standalone dish. A bit like picking the crispy bits off a roast beef whilst it's cooling? :)

I still haven't tried this, have flu so just chucking things in the slow cooker for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah well it was as a side that I made it too, but I just thought there could have been so much more flavour in it, while not being it's own dish. Will report back when I make it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

the only way my iraqi father would ever make rice was with a crust on the bottom...it's just the done thing in that part of the world and it's sooo good!

in general when i'm doing it i use really good quality basmati rice, give it a good wash, put it in a pot and cover it over to the depth of your thumb knuckle, stir in a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil... put over a medium heat uncovered until the water boils down to the level of the rice, turn the heat right down, cover and do not touch for 15mins, maybe even 20mins!
    turn it out and impress your mates!

frying up some finely chopped onion, some sultanas and pine nuts (as per Fajitas! suggestion) and sprinkling over the top will add tonnes of flavour.

if you are so inclined you can add a dash of rose water to the pot of rice, i like it but my OH absolutely hates it!!

you can also add some broken vermicelli noodles in for a little something extra!

Advertisement