Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Postcode for Freesat

• 18-01-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I was just wondering what would be the best postcode to use when setting up a Sagem DS186 HD freesat box.

Is the much of a variance on the regional channels in the UK ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Don't use an NI post code. You will not get ITV1HD. Personally, I use a Granada post code. ITV1HD in that region is the best quality.

Not much variance between any of the other regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

W1K 7TP

Park lane , London

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

JDxtra wrote: »
    Don't use an NI post code. You will not get ITV1HD. Personally, I use a Granada post code. ITV1HD in that region is the best quality.

Not much variance between any of the other regions.

The flip side is that all Irish publications list the Northern Ireland variants of all the terrestrial channels. You may find you will not be able to to rely on newspaper listings for planning your viewing if you use a different postcode.

If you pick a Welsh postcode, you'll get S4C instead of Channel 4 on 104. Channel 4 is still available, but further down the EPG.

Otherwise, there's little variation now between the various BBC/ITV regions in England other than the teatime regional news bulletins. The Nations are different however, with STV in particular diverging a good deal from the ITV1 schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

I use a London post code. Gives me ITV1HD and ITV1+1. I then changed BBC1 and BBC2 to the NI versions by using the Custimise Channel option on my Freesat box. So the only real differance is ITV1 instead of UTV on button 103.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭horse7

Slates wrote: »
    I was just wondering what would be the best postcode to use when setting up a Sagem DS186 HD freesat box.

Is the much of a variance on the regional channels in the UK ??
    can you receive bbc radio 1/2/3/4/6/7 on this box,because i cant.

• Advertisement

John mac wrote: »
    W1K 7TP

Park lane , London
    still not getting itv1 hd using that postcode. channel 119 dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Use a Manchester postcode - M20 2NA is a working one.

It will give you the full resolution ITV 1 HD on 119 and ITV 1+1 on 112. You can still programme 101 and 102 to be BBC ONE NI and BBC TWO NI if you prefer, although the English variations sometimes have different programmes / films on whereas the NI versions might put them on later in the evening or on a different day altogether in order to show local programming. Also handy for films on late on ITV 1 when UTV is showing Brain Box and also for getting films in HD when UTV is only showing in low-resolution SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

icdg wrote: »
    The flip side is that all Irish publications list the Northern Ireland variants of all the terrestrial channels. You may find you will not be able to to rely on newspaper listings for planning your viewing if you use a different postcode.

Use the 7 day electronic program guide to plan your viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

SW1 1AA baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

NI postcode opts out of some "mainland" BBC programmes to show some extra regional programmes. Mean occasional programmes start later on NI that in other regions.

Unless you need to know the result of Ards vs Crusaders or the weather in the North etc then use a London or Manchester postcode.

• Advertisement

John mac wrote: »
    W1K 7TP

Park lane , London
    thanks,working ok now for itv 1 hd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

horse7 wrote: »
    thanks,working ok now for itv 1 hd

W12 7RJ, bbc london HQ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i use a welsh one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I didn't realise that there was still an ITV 1 HD available in 1920x1080i. I will be swapping London for Granada later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Always go for a Manchester postcode, full resolution ITV 1 HD!

M20 2NA will work and you can still change BBC 1 and BBC 2 to the NI versions if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

What is the Best FreeSat postcode for Dublin? In the FreeSat mode I tried SW1A 1AA (London) on Humax Foxsat HD after manually doing the Antenna Settings since I have 4 LNB's connected to a 4x1 Diseqc switch. In the Manual Setup -> Antenna Setting->Satellite Setting, Strength = 80%, Quality=60%. But when I do the FreeSat tune menu I am getting the error "Invalid PostCode.Please check your post code" after "Verifying post code message" where the Strength and Quality is constantly fluctuating, most times 0% and 0%. I tried Belfast and also Newy ones, but still the the strenght and quality, both are 0%.

If I go to Non_FreeSat mode and scan for channels on the FreeSat 28.2E, i have no problem in finding the channels.

Also other than 9E, 13E & 28.2E any other direction where i could get English channels. Currently one of the LNB is pointed at 19E, but most of the content is in German.
    Is it because of the postcode or problem with the Dish -> LNB -> Diseqc connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You DO have the LNB for 28.2E on port 1 (A/A), so when no Diseqc is sent (Freesat mode) the correct by Default LNB is selected?

No, When I select 28.2E on port A, I get no signal, but when I select port D I am getting signal for both Astra 28.2E and FreeSat 28.2E.

In the FreeSat mode when I go for FreeSat tune the signal becomes 0% and gives me mesages like "Invalid post Code" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

net4hack wrote: »
    No, When I select 28.2E on port A, I get no signal, but when I select port D I am getting signal for both Astra 28.2E and FreeSat 28.2E.

In the FreeSat mode when I go for FreeSat tune the signal becomes 0% and gives me mesages like "Invalid post Code" etc.

It's deja vu all over again.

As was explained on the other thread, the output from the 28E LNB must be physically connected to Port 1 of the Diseqc switch. Changing the Freesat postcode will have no effect whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to physically wire the LNB for 28.2 to port A, port A/A or port 1 (what ever the 1st port is called on the physical box).

In Fresat mode there are usually no Diseqc commands sent, (like a Sky box). So on Diseqec and Multiswitches, ALWAYS put the LNB for 28.2/28.5 physically on the 1st port. The setting on the box can't change the physical assignment, they must match what ever the physical arrangement is.

[Apogee beat me to the "save"!]

• Advertisement

Thanks, I would change the connection.

Advertisement