Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bus to keep or not to keep?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Anyone that takes 25 minutes to walk to Greystones from Charlesland must be pushing a bus 2km i.e. 2000m in 25 mins thats 80m per minute or one very slow :rolleyes: giant step per second.Yeah Darter you must have been pushing a bus also how dare you say as afemale I walk slower than a male :pac:
    threetrouts, would you mind punctuating and structuring your comments a bit better, i don't know about anyone else but i find it quite difficult to read when everything is grouped into one paragraph

not being pernicity but its hurting my eyes :)

darter wrote: »
    Stop personalizing this - I am giving you facts, not fiction, about the statistics of average adult walking pace that are easily available using any google search "average adult walking pace".

You walk 50% faster than the average, so you are fitter than the average. Well done, I congratulate you, but this is not about you. I wanted to point out that your excellent time should not be used as the benchmark as average. Perhaps everyone in Charlesland is fitter than average? Everyone who takes the DART certainly will become fitter walking it in 16 mins from April 1st onwards... :D One way to work off the calories from those 4 pints in the Burnaby. Perhaps this is a nefarious Government plan to combat obesity?
    i would second this, from the crescent it takes me about 30 mins to walk to the dart station.

im not fit but certainly not unfit.

@threetrouts, i would suggest either you walk slightly faster than the average (5km/hour is avg)

see:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=average+walking+speed&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

and http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=average+walking+speed&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

how dare you say as afemale I walk slower than a male :pac:

threetrouts,

Some more maths for you.

Average relative stride length in an adult woman is slightly shorter (0.413 x height) than an adult man (0.415 x height). Given that men are - on average again - 2" taller in Ireland, with the average woman being 5'5" in height and the average man being 5'7" in height (a very obvious age function on this though!), this makes the average Irish woman's stride 26.8" and the average Irish man's stride 27.8" - an inch longer for each stride. With an average walking pace of 120 strides per minute, that is 120" (10 feet) more every minute. I find no evidence that the stride pace of females is statistically faster than males, so females on average walk slower than males because their stride length is shorter.

However, in your case as you are 5'1" your stride is likely 25.2", which is 64 cm, so to cover 2 km you need 3125 strides (2000/0.64). If you are doing this in 16 minutes, then you are accomplishing 195 strides/minute, which is actually 63% faster than the average of 120 strides/minute.

You are walking at one heck of a pace!

But you seem to type at the same frenetic pace as well.... Do you do everything at 150% pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - can we keep this on the topic of the bus please

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Folks - can we keep this on the topic of the bus please

Why? Flogging a dead horse continuing to talk about the bus... Seems to be absolutely no chance of rescinding the decision, so perhaps the thread could be closed as it's going nowhere - like the bus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

darter wrote: »
    Why? Flogging a dead horse continuing to talk about the bus... Seems to be absolutely no chance of rescinding the decision, so perhaps the thread could be closed as it's going nowhere - like the bus...

There are always chances - I've of the opinion myself that if a group of concerned residents collaborated together on something like a petition to the committee who decided this then there might be a chance of changing the decision. Also I see no reason to close the thread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

There are always chances - I've of the opinion myself that if a group of concerned residents collaborated together on something like a petition to the committee who decided this then there might be a chance of changing the decision. Also I see no reason to close the thread.
    If someone does start a petition could you do another one for me while you're at it? I'm looking for the local community to subsidise my fuel costs for getting to work.
    I figure that if I contribute to other peoples commute they should return the favor no?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Mullie wrote: »
    If someone does start a petition could you do another one for me while you're at it? I'm looking for the local community to subsidise my fuel costs for getting to work.
    I figure that if I contribute to other peoples commute they should return the favor no?

Let's not be ridiculous. *EVERYONE* was duly aware of the bus being part of the management fees before buying. Your fuel expenses, tragically, were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 judy1

What part are you living in-- I got my bill in wood and have saved 185 already they have handed it on immediately-off this years bill and thats counting having to pay the first quarter for the bus if you add another 25% next year its a hell of a saving.

If you saved that €185 from the bus service finnishing up that is great.:)
    But I think you have been very badly ripped off.:mad: As The shuttle bus for the last year only cost each unit 36.6 cent a week. And for the excuse of getting rid of it because of the high cost of running it for next year, that is a joke. It would have cost each unit 53.3 cent a week. Thats The Facts. So what is the rest of the moneys going on?????:confused:

As for the year before the shuttle cost more or less 53.5 cent a week per unit. Did you see a saving last year because the bus cost came down by a whole lot from the 2009 cost? I seen no change in my costs....:eek:

Judy, it doesn't work like that, you pay a percentage of a percentage and depending on where you live and what type of unit you have your percentage changes.

Look at it this way, why doesn't someone make a bus committee, if you get 300 willing participants to pay 250 up front each you can get tony Doyle to continue the service.

Or finnegans might run a cheaper/payg service but he only seemed concerned when he was looking for votes.

The bus has now gone, if you want the service continued I suggest contacting the person who left the flyers on the bus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 judy1

Matt-Dublin I just can't get my head around this percentage thing. It's ok to work things out that way with most services, ie bins upkeep of greens ect.
    But for the shuttle bus! There is no way that should have ever been worked out on a percentage the way everything else was. The shuttle bus simple is one price, and that should have been one price per unit.
    ie maybe say €50 per unit. That would have been the end of it. Instead it 50 up to 180 so some people say. Who gets the excess money's? Where did our over payments go?
    That's what has me peed off with this whole thing.:mad:

And your right someone should step forward and maybe do a bus committee type set up. :)

You sound like the right person for the job.... ;)

TBH Judy, i don't have the time nor the patience to set it up. I know for a fact the maximum amount of people that would be interested in paying for a bus is about 20-40(judging by what the agents and committees a hearing back). Also people in charlesland tend to be bloody disrespectful and ungrateful so why would I or anyone want to do it. No matter how good a job you do there will be someone there who will cause a fuss about it and this is one of these situations.

The majority of the estate don't use the bus and don't want to pay for it, yet those who do use the bus want it but only want to pay €50 a year for it. Absolute no win situation.

The percentage of a percentage thing was the way it was set up, it was the only fair way to do it unfortunatly and thats how the builders & legal teams decided it be done.

what do you mean where did your over payments go? there never was any over payments. The fees were reduced when we moved to tony doyle last year, but it was such a minimal rediction that it wouldn't have been noticable.

even if there was any over payments they would have been put into a sinking fund, its not like the committees & agents took any money from the coffers and went a partying!

The committees volunteer their spare time to support the functions of the estate. The management agents get paid a fixed annual rate to action those functions and provide day to day asistance with same alongside general administration.

What you will find however, that if all of the units paid their fees fully that there would be less stress on the overall financial system.

With units not paying fees you will find the management companies are having to use sinking funds and any excess cash to cover the day to day services. If all units paid their fees the financial fire fighting thats going on would be significantly reduced allowing for the potential of better reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MVE

Johnnymcg, I fully agree with your proposal. I have personally contacted my management company (Kennedy Wright) and requested an EGM for the residents to be consulted and to vote on the continuity of the Shuttle Bus service. Unfortunately the response I received was that "The Charlesland Overall Residents Committee will not reverse their decision or call an EGM at this time". I find CORC's position extremely stubborn and arrogant and I think that we should organise ourselves to put pressure and make our concerns heard. As a first action I would suggest not paying our management fees until a ballot takes place on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Tony Doyle can run that bus on a business footing for the first week of April and I am pretty sure he won't be back for the second week.

Only a total lunatic would take on the organisation of a pay service for the bus. people want some thing for nothing.

The bus issue is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

How many times has this thread gone the same full circle?

I feel it has run its course but i will leave it open till the end of the month.

Damo, i would suggest closing at this point, it just keeps going round.

If someone wants to start up private bus committee/service let them start a new thread but right now the shuttle service will be termintated regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

If someone wants to start up private bus committee/service let them start a new thread.

Good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement