Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bus to keep or not to keep?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

It all boils down to paying for .If people arent paying their fees then the management co had no choice

If unpaid fees is the reason for this (and not unsustainable costs of the service itself) then would it not have been possible to send around a notice to say that the service will be cut unless the fees are paid? Or at least give residents the chance to have some input into the decision-making process? It doesn't seem fair that if there are so many people not paying their fees, those who have paid suffer too. If that was indeed the case.

Whatever the reason for the decision, I can't help feeling like the rug's been pulled out from under our feet a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

Aparently it is being used by people who don't live in Charlesland, which is unfair as we pay for it! I don't use it but did use during the snow and am happy to have it then.
    I was very annoyed when an elderly lady I know asked me did I think it would be ok for her to get a lift up to Shoreline during the snow, I said yes if there was room, but there were several people who were obviously Tutt Tutting, so much so she headed off walking! Not very Neighbourly :mad:

68K a year, I'm in the wrong Business...gonna get myself a bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Two Boys wrote: »
    68K a year, I'm in the wrong Business...gonna get myself a bus!
    not in charlesland though!

A bit of competition, bet the 68k would go down a bit

• Advertisement

think it came down from 95k odd with alpine

Still very expensive, how about only those who use it pay for it, they can only get away with charging that beacuse 1500 households are all contributing to it. I bet they could do it for less....

If people had to pay as they got on then the guys from Eden Gate who are parking at Superquinn and hopping on the bus would be paying for it too!!

Two Boys wrote: »
    If people had to pay as they got on then the guys from Eden Gate who are parking at Superquinn and hopping on the bus would be paying for it too!!
    as discussed previously that requires a license from wicklow co co. not a viable option.

look at it this way, we had the service of a bus for about 8 hours every day.

Thats 1 full time staff member plus benefits. (30k)
    THen there's diesal costs which were probably in excess of 500 a week. (25 k a year)
    THen there would be maintenance costs which would probably be about 1-2k per service 4 times a year (8 k) plus any break/fix requirements. (4k)
    insurance (5k including public liability etc)

Right so:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Letter just in the door from the management company states the bus will no longer service Charlesland from the 31st of March.

Remind me again why house owners bother to pay management fee's?

I personally see zero benefit from having them.

DK32 wrote: »
    Letter just in the door from the management company states the bus will no longer service Charlesland from the 31st of March.

Remind me again why house owners bother to pay management fee's?

I personally see zero benefit from having them.
    Insurance, Landscaping, Community electricity, general estate maintenance and repair.

It benifets apartments more than houses as it covers more, but in turn they pay more.

after this year some properties will potentially see a 10% reduction in charges. probably won't see it adjusted in this years budgets unless the overall committee decide to change the budget but next year should see the saving and potential rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Thanks Matt, it was more of a rhetorical question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IntheWood

Saw this thread last week and put it down to just a local rumour. Have to say I'm completely shocked that this service is being halted. Personally I think the move is madness.

Firstly I’ll say I don’t use the bus right now but I have done in the past and it’s fantastic and despite not using it I'm happy to continue to pay for it. This isn’t something that is only occasionally used by residents, when I used it each bus was all but full and by the look of those waiting for it in the mornings that hasn't changed at all.

To my mind with this gone the area is significantly less accessible. The walk to the Dart is 25mins and Dublin Bus is not an effective feeder service to the Dart as its timetable is not matched to train departure times. Sure you can drive to the park and ride but not everyone has that option. The less accessible an area is the less attractive it is. The less attractive it is ... you'll eventually see that reflected in house prices. It's not rocket science. So like it or not, with the service gone, even those who haven’t been using the service will be effected.

If this service is being cancelled due to unpaid mgmt fees I would LOVE to know why the mgmt companies have not been pursuing those who haven't paid the charges due. If have been pursuing people then obviously they haven’t been very good at it if they now have to cancel the bus because of unpaid fees. I've been in Charlesland almost since day 1 and paid mine religiously.

Someone on an earlier post mentioned that the notice (I’ve yet to receive it) talks of the decision being based on surveys? Exactly when did these happen? Anyone I've talked to about this was not surveyed and says this is a horrible move. It's only indicative but the poll here on this thread is at 70% in favour of keeping the service.

Just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Some properties will potentially see a reduction in charges this year!? I'm sorry, but there will be one more homeowner refusing to pay their fees this year unless the savings realised from the cancellation of the bus service, that they paid for and utilised on a daily basis, are reflected in a reduced fee.

Service charges for this year need to be readjusted taking into account the Q1 of bus fees that are going to be paid alone and reduced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

If enough people complained to management about losing the bus, they might reconsider. Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 judy1

I've recieved no notice yet regarding the bus finishing up in March.
    So does any body know for a FACT that the bus is been pulled out of service. Ive got no answer from our great estate management.:eek:

I even went to the trouble of contacting the coach company and they know nothing about it. :confused:

I know that some people already said that the bus is going (It's a sure thing), but onless I see/get the proof! what do we belive? Has any one got the letters to state the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

No Ive heard nothing and never saw any survey either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

[
    Got the letter this morning. States that CORC surveyed usage and determined usage of 15-20%.

Or maybe my receipt of a letter is another rumour. :rolleyes:

I received a single page statement in the post box yesterday signed by Gary Keenan on behalf of Charlesland Overall Residents Committee (CORC) and Seabourne View Owners Committee (SORC) outlining the situation. The shuttle bus service will cease on Thursday 31st March.

And for what it's worth, I never heard of a survey being conducted either. The statement received says that two surveys by CORC have indicated usage levels of typically some 15%-20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

15% to 20% on a 53 seater coach is dire.

Would there be 10 or less passengers on each run?

Also a 12litre Bealus cygnus coach isnt the cheapest beast to run on a short hopper service.

Kellys coaches of Kilternan have older machines, even an old DB decker. Finnegan also have smaller machines which may be cheaper to run.

They must be referring to 15-20% of the Charlesland population as opposed to 15%-20% of the bus seats filled. I generally get the 8.15 in the morning and when the schools are on the bus is full, occasionally people have to stand. I'm on the 6 home and it is quieter, maybe 25 seats occupied max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

they were hardly going to advertise that surveys were being conducted to determine actual usage. Would imagine all it entailed was someone on the buses counting heads.

Tonight for instance, the 7pm bus had no more than 12 people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Was the poll here part of the usage survey? The OP Matt-dublin seems to be on a committee that made this decision!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Going by the response on here, no residents seem to have been consulted or have taken part in the mentioned survey. This seems to have been dealt with in a very underhanded manner. Based on discussions with my neighbours, I would be reluctant to pay this years Management Fee now and wouldn't be advising any of them to pay either as we are not really sure what services will be withdrawn next (if any, but there is uncertainty) and secondly, until we get an answer as to why the Management Company does not pursue unpaid fee's instead of penalising residents to do pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

It seems that the management comany conducted their survey by standing at the bus stop one morning and counted all the people who got on the bus and took at % of the average amount of people living in Charlesland

All you homeowners that let out rooms - you will need to knock some money off the cost of monthly rent now. Charlesland has become a little less of a desireable place to live now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Was the poll here part of the usage survey? The OP Matt-dublin seems to be on a committee that made this decision!
    A survey on here is about as useful as a chocolate kettle. There's no way to verify who is voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IntheWood

Mike - If a survey on here is as useless as you say then I would have thought that the only real way of determining whether or not residents want the service is to ask them.

This appears not to have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Can I just ask, is this 80k for the whole estate i.e 80,000 / 1,500 units?? If it is what each household saves 50e a year??? which will be swallowed up somewhere else in the fees....

Also, if you disagree with this, no point just giving out here, you must contact your mgmt co too.

• Advertisement

Not quite LMC, each type of property pays a percentage of a percentage of the overall management fees.

The bus is paid for by the overall management company and each of the estates pays a contribution towards it.

so where some properties will see a saving of about €20 a year but some may potentially see a saving of up to €180 a year (houses will see a much smaller saving, apartments will see a greater saving and the bigger the apartment the bigger the saving)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement