Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 MMA intervarsities

• 18-01-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Well its time to get the ball rolling on this again. This will be the 2nd year of MMA intervarsities following the great success of last year. The following details are provisional as we want to facilitate as many people as possible. Pass this on to your coaches, training partners etc.

There will also be a submission grappling intervarisity for which I will start a thread in the SDMA section.

Event : MMA intervarsity

Date : Saturday April 9th

Eligibility : All current student card holders from the North and South. I will run a side event for non student card holders training with college clubs and if there is interest I will also run an alumni event. This goes for both competitions

Any comments/questions/suggestions fire away..I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

Oisin McCabe
    DCU MMA Head Coach

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

rules?
    Format?
    Levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 CITMMACLUB

CIT MMA club could host the comp for the south region? Run with the same rules and then possibly have the winners from both meet in a final?

as per the title 2011 MMA intervarsities, Intervarsities tend to be a knockout tournament occuring once a year between colleges, I.T s, Universitys that award both single and team based overall champions/winners, which would defeat the purpose of having it regionally or leauge format, If you wished to do a Southern and Northern and then finals for the respective winners, you would have to exclude people from competing in both.

Yeah but i said for the south region! CIT have the south and Dublin have the north.. it'll save people from cork, waterford, kerry from travelling up to dublin

Yes but the intervarsities are a competition event including the entire 3rd level education of ireland, therefore having it in two places makes no sense, as it does not include everybody, but merely the south! If you have one in the south, why not the north aswell, which would remove the intervarsity aspect and turn it into a Provincial college,alumni, non student competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

my guys will be there ois :) ittmma :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

my guys will be there ois :) ittmma :)

Who teaches the ITT MMA club? Dan Ianelli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

looking forward to this.

How many colleges have MMA Clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minimannm

We dont have an MMA club at UUC but we do have MMA fighters who train at kickboxing, wrestling, judo etc. but im sure they might fancy going if we could get rules etc. sorted

Who teaches the ITT MMA club? Dan Ianelli?

we had dan doin the first half of the college year while our head instructor was away dan is great we will also b hoping to keep him teachin a bit to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Rules will be very similar in both competitions tpo last year in terms of legal techniques....scoreing system may be changed. Will post up everything when I get the time.

Looking to get

DCU
    UCD
    ITT
    CIT
    UL
    TCD
    etc

Oisin

someone told me ucds club is gone ois is tht true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

good luck with the intervarsities hope the club does well, always a great day at them, just watch out for the dodgy scales lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Pretty sure the UCD club is gone. But most of the guys have found training elsewhere. Ill find out if theyre still intrested in competing this year. Id say ya'll have a couple for the grappling comp anyway.

For all intrested in competing and whose university doesnt have an mma/Bjj club,

I contacted my Universities sports department, and they informed me you can compete in any intrevarsity in which the college doesnt have a club, providing your private club insurance covers you to compete, and you can only compete in singles events.
    i.e If a few from your college are commiting you cant win the team event by saying your [Insert Universitry Name] MMA Club, as that would infringe on the college, But you can compete as an athlete from [Insert Universitry Name]
    Hoep that helps anyone who wasnt sure

empacher wrote: »
    as per the title 2011 MMA intervarsities, Intervarsities tend to be a knockout tournament occuring once a year between colleges, I.T s, Universitys that award both single and team based overall champions/winners, which would defeat the purpose of having it regionally or leauge format, If you wished to do a Southern and Northern and then finals for the respective winners, you would have to exclude people from competing in both.

Im only trying to help, ypu know some people wont be able to enter because of having to travel to dublin. so if there was one on in cork it would help

CITMMACLUB wrote: »
    Im only trying to help, ypu know some people wont be able to enter because of having to travel to dublin. so if there was one on in cork it would help
    Really theres not much need for it though. The 2 competitions can be run completely seperate. What the Intervarsities are about is really just a bitto fun and some kinda competition for the club to give the members some experience and a sense of competition. Theres not a massive sense of competing to prove your the best so having 2 legs really doesnt matter. Is your competition an intervarsity too?
    Hope both the competitions go well.
    Oisin let me know if ya need any help on the day time keeping, reffing, laying a beatdown if someone gets too rowdy(of course only if they're 2 weight divisions below me) etc. (Its a sunday right?)

hey pablo where were you for tapout guy and keeping order lol :)

Ha. I had my nose broken the night before in rush and then richie gorey decided it would be nice to smash it in further that day.:D
    Good times. Plus my hungover ass was in no state to enforce. Just to compete.

good times man lol

good luck if your and your club are competing at them this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Have CUSAI - http://www.cusai.ie/index.php

officially made this a Inter varsity competition? :D

CIT will be there any way and if you have info on a grappling varsity? we'd be well up for that.

If there was other colleges from around cork/munster entering maybe we could organise one bus to share?? might end up being cheaper (even though the colleges will pay) might be a bit of crack too. esp for clubs who might only have a few fighters entering of maybe if individuals were entering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

If there was other colleges from around cork/munster entering maybe we could organise one bus to share?? might end up being cheaper (even though the colleges will pay) might be a bit of crack too. esp for clubs who might only have a few fighters entering of maybe if individuals were entering.

Sounds like a great idea :D, Munster Clubs unite!

Ok folks..apoloigies for the delay but just back in the country so can give the necessary time to this. I will answer any questions you may have relating to this chance to compete so go ahead and ask.

Oisin

empacher wrote: »
    For all intrested in competing and whose university doesnt have an mma/Bjj club,

I contacted my Universities sports department, and they informed me you can compete in any intrevarsity in which the college doesnt have a club, providing your private club insurance covers you to compete, and you can only compete in singles events.
    i.e If a few from your college are commiting you cant win the team event by saying your [Insert Universitry Name] MMA Club, as that would infringe on the college, But you can compete as an athlete from [Insert Universitry Name]
    Hoep that helps anyone who wasnt sure

This is basically how things ran last year. Some colleges sent full teams while other individual or groups of students came representing themselves which is absolutely no problem. Everybody that shows on the day will be guaranteed matches as long as they are students (on a side note we will also accomodate those that are training with college clubs but are not actually students, however there membership must be affiliated by that colleges coach/committee member on the day)

Oisin

CIT will be there any way and if you have info on a grappling varsity? we'd be well up for that.

Check the SD&MA forum for the grappling intervarsity. Great idea sharing the bus.

Oisin

thats good to know oisin one of our lads was dying to compete but hes not a student like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AirborneAnto

CIT MMA have a few lads who are interested, any info on times etc so we can sort out our transport?

Gym opens at 10 on the saturday so we plan on weighing in from 10-10.45 followed by a rules meeting and getting the first matches underway for 11.

Remember everybody, competitors require slip on shin pads with no straps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement