Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Submission Grappling/NOGI Intervarsity

• 18-01-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Well its time to get the ball rolling on this again. This will be the 3rd year of grappling intervarsities following the great success of last year. The following details are provisional as we want to facilitate as many people as possible. Pass this on to your coaches, training partners etc.

There will also be a MMA intervarisity for which I will start a thread in the MMA section.

Event : Grappling intervarsity

Date : Saturday April 2nd

Eligibility : All current student card holders from the North and South. I will run a side event for non student card holders training with college clubs and if there is interest I will also run an alumni event. This goes for both competitions

Any comments/questions/suggestions fire away..I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

Oisin McCabe
    DCU MMA Head Coach

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Do you have an e-mail? I want to forward this to some people that don't use boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Do you have an e-mail? I want to forward this to some people that don't use boards.

oisin.mccabe@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

OMCCABE wrote: »
    Well its time to get the ball rolling on this again. This will be the 3rd year of grappling intervarsities following the great success of last year. The following details are provisional as we want to facilitate as many people as possible. Pass this on to your coaches, training partners etc.

There will also be a MMA intervarisity for which I will start a thread in the MMA section.

Event : Grappling intervarsity

Date : Saturday April 17th

Eligibility : All current student card holders from the North and South. I will run a side event for non student card holders training with college clubs and if there is interest I will also run an alumni event. This goes for both competitions

Any comments/questions/suggestions fire away..I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

Oisin McCabe
    DCU MMA Head Coach

April 17th is a Sunday.
    Are alumni of non irish universities allowed to enter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Knew i shouldn't have done TY.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Love the idea of the alumni event oisin. Anything we need as proof or is the fact that my handsome face was there last year proof enough?:D

• Advertisement

Is there a club in Maynooth? shot in the dark but just wondering :p

Killme00 wrote: »
    April 17th is a Sunday.
    Are alumni of non irish universities allowed to enter?

Sorry don't know where I pulled that date out of. Grappling intervarsity is actually the 2nd....had it written down and all. Whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

I'm in there like swimwear (assuming i dont have a fight the same day or anything)

team event?

Someone should start a BJJ/Submission Grappling club in Maynooth. :P

Is there a club in Maynooth? shot in the dark but just wondering :p

Hey joe if you are a student then you can still compete regardless of there being a club or not.

Oisin

• Advertisement

dasmoose wrote: »
    I'm in there like swimwear (assuming i dont have a fight the same day or anything)

team event?

Yes there will be a team event.

The Alumni competition will fly or die based on interest so if you would like to enter then PM me or post here and I'll see what I can put together.

Any other questions guys then fire ahead.

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

great idea. best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Someone should start a BJJ/Submission Grappling club in Maynooth. :P

There is grappling classes in Lucan MMA if you interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

bumping this

if jonathon herron, mark curry, james gallagher, myself (kinda), bobby, jim, olga, mark hamill enter this we could have a very competitive and interesting absolute advanced.

anyone in dbs doing bjj/submission, i know a guy there just wondering if there is a potential team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

It might be stupid, but can Secondary school students enter?

i was just thinking about this myself, i don't see why not, other than the obvious fact they're 2nd level not 3rd level. to the best of my knowledge the judo intervarsities used to be open to 2nd level.

personally speaking i'd have no problem with 18 year old 6th years entering, i'd be reluctant to admit children.

i guess it's oisin's call

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

bumping this

if jonathon herron, mark curry, james gallagher, myself (kinda), bobby, jim, olga, mark hamill enter this we could have a very competitive and interesting absolute advanced.

Add Richard Gorey, Cathal Gorey and Brendan McGarry to that list!
    If ya like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

to the best of my knowledge the judo intervarsities used to be open to 2nd level.

This has never been the case, they have always been an exclusively 3rd level event, in fact the inclusion of IT's is an to an extent an anomally, from a goverance point of view.

Minors present all kinds of head aches, beyond the basic fact that their parents are likely to show up.

I think the issue is that someone could well be 18/19 doing their leaving cert that could attend by themselves, just they chose to do T.Y in school so they aren't in college yet.

• Advertisement

Burnt wrote: »
    This has never been the case, they have always been an exclusively 3rd level event, in fact the inclusion of IT's is an to an extent an anomally, from a goverance point of view.

Minors present all kinds of head aches, beyond the basic fact that their parents are likely to show up.

how many years do you go back? the judo intarvars constitution is a dynamic document (Which i tihnk should be ripped up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I have read all the version, and some of the drafts going back until the 1960's
    or there abouts when the event was established.

While you might not like it Sid, and to be fair at least your consistant about
    that, it has served the university clubs well, seeing as we have managed to
    have ~50's of continous and quality competition conducted by and large with
    good sportsmanship; with a very few unfortunate exceptions. And in the face
    of more than a few external challanges, it's maintained the ethos of for students
    by students.

As you say it's a dynamic document, which can be changed with the support
    of the majority of clubs, represented by their captains, at the AGM conducted
    after each event. They have chosen not to do so.

This has little to do with the grappling inters though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you have non third level people attending, it starts to become an Open not an IV. And if there's one thing I've learned from dealing with clubs and socs in several different unis, it's that the admin people in charge of funding and facilities, etc. hate it when you start changing things - especially this close to the event.

If the DCU guys are ok with school kids attending, then that's great, but there's a good chance they just won't be able to for any number of reasons that are pretty much out of their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Id like to enter it, add Joey Breslin to that advanced list!

da-bres wrote: »
    Id like to enter it, add Joey Breslin to that advanced list!

vetoed :D

Chuck me in there too kev :)
    I rekon I can lay and pray to a couple wins :p
    And this time i wont be hung over ta fook

you still eligible paul?

for the alumni event
    Also allow me to voice my disgrace at half that list for avoiding the real world after colleg. You lot should be struggling to find a job in your field along with the rest of your classmates :P

Hey all

Covering a few things here so will split it all up!!

I'm happy to facilitate a lot of things. I'll tell you how things ran last year as we have some members in DCU who are also not college students.
    --We matched these guys up with college competitors who were eliminated from the knockout format competition. In this manner they got to test their skills while college competitors got extra matches and experience if they so wished.
    --This system worked very well as it was purely voluntary. You are simply asked if you want another fight...If you say yes then you get it..if you say no then your name is simply crossed off while others are matched up.
    --In this manner the event is an opportunity for current students...alumni...and non students training with college clubs to compete. As far as someone with absolutely no college links competing..I would be slightly concerned about the possibility of sandbagging as there is no way to verify with coaches etc their credentials. Although having said that, as there is no trophy to win for these competitors I don't see why they would.

I will certainly run a mixed Alumni/Current student advanced absolute division which I think would be one hell of a competition. Guaranteed fireworks.

As far as rules and categories are concerned I am currently leaning towards anyone over 2 years training being classed advanced and below being novice instead of making 3 categories. I am also looking at reducing the amount of weight classes in order to guarantee good numbers per category. I also wish to make the rules very finishing orientated and have a few thoughts on how to go about this.

In summary it will be a competition for current college students with a side competition for alumni and nonstudents who train in college clubs to gain experience and competitive mat time. There will also be a seperate "open" advanced absolute conpetition. Hope this is clear..any questions..shoot.

Oisin

• Advertisement

Hey all

I will certainly run a mixed Alumni/Current student advanced absolute division which I think would be one hell of a competition. Guaranteed fireworks.

Oisin
    BEST IDEA EVER :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Okay so Secondary school students are allowed if they train with a college club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

so oisin wats the weight this year ?:0

Okay so Secondary school students are allowed if they train with a college club?

If you are also 18 or over then yes..I will get you some matches on the day.

Oisin

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

current college students.

Could you define this a bit better? Like is it only Unis and ITs? Or is it any 3rd level course? Full time/part time?

i think it was decided last year anyone with a student card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

add richie crosdale to that advanded division. ucd dont have a team anymore, but im sure having a student card is grand. can the winner be crowned wit sum college title that will help him pull moths in lectures?:D

crosdad wrote: »
    can the winner be crowned wit sum college title that will help him pull moths in lectures?:D
    A bright light does better.
    I know the whole "im a fighter" worked fine in UCD.
    Dont try it unless myou have a 6 pack though cuz the 1st thing they do is lift your shirt and ask can they punch you in the stomach.

A bright light does better.
    I know the whole "im a fighter" worked fine in UCD.
    Dont try it unless myou have a 6 pack though cuz the 1st thing they do is lift your shirt and ask can they punch you in the stomach.

Watch that crowd disappear as you then continue with the sentence " Oh , No i only do BJJ...There's no striking in that "

No bjeour has ever been impressed that i'm a a cagefighter! Literally never! I even cut my hair to look tougher and attract more fightersluts! All that happened was the attention i used to get from the bitches for my awesome hair stopped!

Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

just walk into the lecture shirtless. dat has to work. trying to explain bjj to sum people is just..... sigh

• Advertisement

Gorey_R wrote: »
    No bjeour has ever been impressed that i'm a a cagefighter!

Hmmm. Must be my extremely attractive face that does it then (Dispite you best efforts to fck it up at last years :p)

Hmmm. Must be my extremely attractive face that does it then (Dispite you best efforts to fck it up at last years :p)
    God, i was an extremely rude man in that match. I think i was actually kneeling on your face at one point! I've learned some actual submissions since last year though i'l try to win instead of try to beat you up!

nobbo wrote: »
    Could you define this a bit better? Like is it only Unis and ITs? Or is it any 3rd level course? Full time/part time?

Sid Justice has it right.

so oisin wats the weight this year ?:0

Right heres what can be expected as it stands.

Novice : (under 2 years training)70kg
    77kg
    84kg
    90kg
    100kg
    over 100kg

knockout format

Advanced : (over 2 years training)
    Absolute division with knockout format. Winner of this will have some serious bragging rights.

If anyone wants to see changes here then let me know and I'll consider it.

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SenorTwist

Is there going to be a 64kg weight class? or anything under 66kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

hey guys we have girls coming down ny other clubs gt girls competing??

SenorTwist wrote: »
    Is there going to be a 64kg weight class? or anything under 66kg.

At present the lowest is 70 but if more than 4 people ask me for a 63 then I will put it in place.

This is shaping up to be one hell of an event,

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

At present the lowest is 70 but if more than 4 people ask me for a 63 then I will put it in place.

This is shaping up to be one hell of an event,

Oisin
    It would be nice to have one under 70 (65 maybe?), any reason for these particulare weight classes?
    Everyone seems to use something different, mma leagues etc use every 5 kilos 65, 70 etc
    Most grappling comps use IBJJF weight classes dont they?
    http://www.ibjjf.org/nogiweightlist.pdf

Cant wait to get to another grappling comp after the NOGI cup on Saturday:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

1. I'd be happy to help out if you need a hand Oisin...I have a low attention threshold so haven't read the entire thread but I did see that it is on the 2nd of April so I will put that in my diary.

2. I will put a notice up in the gym...so if you have some sort of a flyer...send it to me...pressing print is a lot easier than typing it all out...and will encourage the guys with student cards to compete.

3. If there's a competition for 'former students' you can put me down for that.

4. See you on the 2nd of April either way.

1. I'd be happy to help out if you need a hand Oisin...I have a low attention threshold so haven't read the entire thread but I did see that it is on the 2nd of April so I will put that in my diary.

2. I will put a notice up in the gym...so if you have some sort of a flyer...send it to me...pressing print is a lot easier than typing it all out...and will encourage the guys with student cards to compete.

3. If there's a competition for 'former students' you can put me down for that.

4. See you on the 2nd of April either way.

No flyers Will but a notice in the gym would be great thanks and there will defo be a place for you. See you on the 2nd.

Oisin

• Advertisement
Advertisement