Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Submission Grappling/NOGI Intervarsity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Niall0 wrote: »
    It would be nice to have one under 70 (65 maybe?), any reason for these particulare weight classes?
    Everyone seems to use something different, mma leagues etc use every 5 kilos 65, 70 etc
    Most grappling comps use IBJJF weight classes dont they?
    http://www.ibjjf.org/nogiweightlist.pdf

Cant wait to get to another grappling comp after the NOGI cup on Saturday:D.

Hi Niall. The reasoning for the weight classes comes from experience. This is my 3rd time running this competition so I know how the weight classes usually breakdown. I can almost guarantee that the 77 and 83 classes will be the biggest while a 65/64/63 will be very small. Average sizes of competitors etc. I am trying to maintain the tournament style although in the case of smaller numbers in some categories I will consider round robin on the day. You have to understand that this would be very time consuming if I did this for all categories though.

For the same reason I am making the advanced division absolute and also tournament style. Lets say we have 12 competitors..while it would be great to see all these compete against each other in a round robin style it just doesn't make sense time wise.

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

OMCCABE wrote: »
    Hi Niall. The reasoning for the weight classes comes from experience. This is my 3rd time running this competition so I know how the weight classes usually breakdown. I can almost guarantee that the 77 and 83 classes will be the biggest while a 65/64/63 will be very small. Average sizes of competitors etc. I am trying to maintain the tournament style although in the case of smaller numbers in some categories I will consider round robin on the day. You have to understand that this would be very time consuming if I did this for all categories though.

For the same reason I am making the advanced division absolute and also tournament style. Lets say we have 12 competitors..while it would be great to see all these compete against each other in a round robin style it just doesn't make sense time wise.

Oisin
    Ya it can get fairly complicated organising something like this.
    If you had some sort of online registration with a cut off date it would give you enough time and the numbers of people in each weight class to figure out what you need, so things can run as smoothly as possible on the day.

The Registration for the Irish NOGI Cup allowed them to have the brackes already made and printed out in advance of the tournament.
    They also had an updated list of competitors online for a few days before the cut off for each division which was a nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I don't see why you don't start off with a < ~ 65kg category and amalgomate on the day as you see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

this clashes with the british open

da-bres wrote: »
    this clashes with the british open

Better tell the british open to move its date so.:D

i guess it's just mark (if he was even considering doing the intervars) and joey perturbed by this.

I don't see why you don't start off with a < ~ 65kg category and amalgomate on the day as you see fit.

I've recieved enough interest from people that I am indeed going to do this.

Weight classes for novice are now
    65kg
    70kg
    77kg
    84kg
    90kg
    100kg
    Over 100kg

Oisin

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marcus.phelan

how do u register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DeathFromAfar

Yeah,Registration is open to anyone with a student card,so do we just email on details or has a site been set up?
    Jake Kiely
    UCD/Killarney Grappling Club

• Advertisement

you got the bjj/submission club going again in ucd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DeathFromAfar

Afraid not but i'm looking into it for this semester coming (September) I'm looking for interest around the campus as I personally know I was disappointed it dissolved,just need the time to re-establish it but that's neither here nor there,I've two others interested from the college too for competing in this too.

Afraid not but i'm looking into it for this semester coming (September) I'm looking for interest around the campus as I personally know I was disappointed it dissolved,just need the time to re-establish it but that's neither here nor there,I've two others interested from the college too for competing in this too.

Good to hear mate. It only takes one person with a bit of determination to get these things up and running.

As far as registration is concerned. We will be doing the registration at the time of weighing in on the morning of. This avoids problems such as missing weight and having to rearrange categories.

It will run like so :

-Register and weigh in at desk.
    -Rules meeting and briefing
    -Event Commences

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Was just wondering if anyone from ulster university was going to head down to this? I am going to take part and would be good if we could get a team together.

is jonathon herron in ulster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Bit of a shame that this tournament will probably have a larger advanced division than most other tournaments around.

cant understand why you would rather represent your college than your academy.

not having a go at this though, fairplay for organising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Chris89 wrote: »
    Bit of a shame that this tournament will probably have a larger advanced division than most other tournaments around.

cant understand why you would rather represent your college than your academy.

not having a go at this though, fairplay for organising.
    Don't be a hater Chris....you are such a moaner :)

I am definitely going to try and drag anyone with a student card that grapples at IP along.

Also...will there be drug testing at this event?

I am just wondering...so I can find out who I can score off...that's mainly while I'm going...God I miss Uni.

I am definitely going to try and drag anyone with a student card that grapples at IP along.

Good Man Will. If other gyms could do this too to spread the word it would be great.

Oisin

1 week to go till the tournament. Looking like its gonna be a great event with a wide range of competitors and a seriously competitive advanced category. Can't wait to see the matches in this myself.

Here's the itinerary for the day.

Weighins begin at half 9 and end at 10. A rule meeting will then take place prior to the categories commencing.

RULES :

Matches are 5 min regulation and submission only for the win. If required there will be a 2 minute second round followed by a first takedown tie breaker.

Legal submissions etc shall be explained in detail in the rules meeting however the only change from previous years competition is the inclusion of the straight ankle lock in the Novice division (No reaping of the knee).

Any questions feel free to post or PM.

Dude if you need a hand on the day or beforehand with anything...setting up or registration etc just let me know? Not sure if you are doing this 'one man band' style or you have plenty of helping hands or not but I'll be happy to do what I can.

I hope it gets a good crowd and anyone moaning about there not being enough competitions decides to pull there finger out and get along.

It'll be a good warm up for anyone getting along to the Informed Performance NoGi Tournament the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

Hi Oisin,

Good to see your getting this going again.

Just one thing, i would advise that the 2 minutes overtime may be too much if you get big numbers, so just keep an eye on the numbers before the rules meeting.

I'm not sure if i can make it just yet, but good luck to you and the competitors.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

i have the only field trip of the entire year this saturday( ucd bastards) but will be finished by 11. would there be any chance of entering the advanced category a bit late on the day if i can make it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

jitz wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone from ulster university was going to head down to this? I am going to take part and would be good if we could get a team together.

Hi dude, i think a few of the guys who train with wacky at QUB are going down this weekend, if you post on http://www.qub-bjj.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1099 we are planning how to get down there would be great if you could car pool or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

How much does it cost to enter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Raftices

Niall0 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to enter?

15 euro on the day man

Hi Oisin,

Good to see your getting this going again.

Just one thing, i would advise that the 2 minutes overtime may be too much if you get big numbers, so just keep an eye on the numbers before the rules meeting.

I'm not sure if i can make it just yet, but good luck to you and the competitors.

Jim

Will defo keep an eye on it Jim. Thanks for the support

Oisin

Tomorrows the day so get your sleep tonight and set your alarms.

One last thing I want to mention is that rash guards or tight teeshirts are essential. You can also compete without a top if you prefer.

Looking forward to a great, competitive tournament.

Oisin

Tomorrows the day so get your sleep tonight and set your alarms.
    Yes Mum.
    One last thing I want to mention is that rash guards or tight teeshirts are essential. You can also compete without a top if you prefer.
    I'd go bare chested but I have exceptionally sensitive nipples.
    Looking forward to a great, competitive tournament.
    See you at 9.30am dude.

I'd go bare chested but I have exceptionally sensitive nipples.

Thank god since I have exceptionally sensitive eyes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Thank god since I have exceptionally sensitive eyes :D

Thank God since some of the lads get exceptionally sensitive erections :D

• Advertisement

ìs the advandced division just absolute or are there weight categorys as well?

crosdad wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter...BJJ is all about technique over strength....skill over power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

It doesn't really matter...BJJ is all about technique over strength....skill over power.

Kinda snookered though if the other guy has just as much skill but twice as much power :P

crosdad wrote: »

Absolute buddy.

Mark Curry beat Richard Gorey in the Final of absolute congrats lads

Some very good grapplers from across Ireland. All fought in good spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Who entered the adavanced absolute?

Big thanks to everyone who participated in todays grappling intervarsity. You all contributed to make it the best one yet. Great turnout and great spirit.

I'd especially like to thank Will Heffernan, Kevin Lally, Kevin Doyle, Waqar Ahmed for helping with the refereeing. We had a great turnout from ITT, Queens, DCU, Trinity, Cork and several other institutions.

I will post up the official results over the next day.

Cheers

Oisin

Who entered the adavanced absolute?

Richard Gorey
    Waqar Ahmed
    James Gallagher
    Mark Curry
    Kevin Lally
    Will Heffernan
    Brendan From Pedro bessa (didn't get your surname sorry!)
    And one of oisins students who I didt get the name of :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

dasmoose wrote: »
    Richard Gorey
    Waqar Ahmed
    James Gallagher
    Mark Curry
    Kevin Lally
    Will Heffernan
    Brendan From Pedro bessa (didn't get your surname sorry!)
    And one of oisins students who I didt get the name of :-)

Thats a really good division. Will there be any videos?

• Advertisement

Yeah got all the matches on vid so will try and upload them, some great bouts, kev vs James was class :-)

how did i miss this:mad: **** ucd ha

dasmoose wrote: »
    Yeah got all the matches on vid so will try and upload them, some great bouts, kev vs James was class :-)
    You must have been on the ball to get mine and Mark's on camera :)....I'm a notoriously slow starter....suffice to say...Mark is not.

There are a few guys in IP that I won't roll with first up...I need get my sheet out and add Mark's name to that for next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

great day, well done to everyone who entered. hope somebody recorded the mark curry vs will heffernan bout, if ya blinked you'd miss it. also, hats off to sheena o loughlin for being the only girl to enter the event

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

hey oisin great job again man you should look at running more of them man wud be great like and was fun reffing thanks for throwing me in the deep end im soo pissed cant make it on saturday got a test that morning cant defend my title;) again great show and great atmosphere etc :)

And you can see all the other videos from the open-weight advanced division at http://www.bjj.ie/2011/04/04/no-gi-intervarsities-videos/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Some cool fights would have liked to attend but damn work got in the way:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I would also love to have competed, even though I would have been shíte, but I'm just getting over a neck and shoulder injury. There's always next year!

Big thanks to everyone who participated in todays grappling intervarsity. You all contributed to make it the best one yet. Great turnout and great spirit.

I'd especially like to thank Will Heffernan, Kevin Lally, Kevin Doyle, Waqar Ahmed for helping with the refereeing. We had a great turnout from ITT, Queens, DCU, Trinity, Cork and several other institutions.

I will post up the official results over the next day.

Cheers

Oisin

Hi oisin, could you post the results please?

Advertisement