Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pienaar signs for Spurs over Chelsea

• 18-01-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

good move in my opinion
    Everton's Steven Pienaar has revealed he will join Tottenham after the two clubs agreed a fee of about £2.5m.

The 28-year-old midfielder visited the Spurs training ground on Tuesday and is set to agree a four-year-deal and undergo a medical.
    "To end speculation I am going to Spurs," confirmed South Africa international Pienaar on Twitter.

Chelsea also had a bid accepted for Pienaar by Everton, but failed to convince the player to join them.
    Neither Tottenham or Everton have confirmed the deal, but Pienaar added: "I've had brilliant years at Everton. It will always be special place in my heart."

His contract with the Merseyside club expires at the end of this season and the attacker has rejected the offer of an extension.
    Spurs had an initial bid of £2m turned down, with reports differing over whether their second bid, accepted on Monday, matched Chelsea's valuation of £3m or was a compromise figure of £2.5m.
    Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp had appeared pessimistic about the chances of bringing Pienaar to White Hart Lane after his team's 0-0 draw with Manchester United on Saturday.

"I think he might go to Chelsea," said Redknapp.
    "I think he is a good player. He can play left or right or down the middle. I like him.
    "I would not want to be putting the chairman under any pressure to buy him, but at £2m or £3m, he's certainly not dear is he?"
    Pienaar, who joined Everton from Borussia Dortmund on loan in 2007 before completing a permanent transfer for £2m in 2008, also used Twitter to claim he would wear the number 40 shirt at Spurs.

Everton boss David Moyes had said in August that only a "sack-load of cash" would persuade him to sell a playmaker voted the club's player of the season last term.
    But Pienaar, who has scored one goal so far this season, has failed to replicate that form during this campaign and Moyes has decided to cash in.
    source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

will he get a game? they have loads of midfielders. he wont displace modric bale or lennon. unless he takes huddlestone or palacios place which is unlikely as hes not a defensive midfielder. i like niko kranjcar i think hes a good player but he cant get a game. strange decision from pienaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Great signing and if its for 3 million its a snip for a quality player like him. Only question now is who are spurs going to let go. Some of the likes of Jenas/Kranjcar/Huddlestone/O'Hara will surely have to move on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I strongly urge all Chelsea fans to place :rolleyes:Berba:rolleyes: on their ignore list until this thread dies off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I strongly urge all Chelsea fans to place :rolleyes:Berba:rolleyes: on their ignore list until this thread dies off.

:pac:

I was just about to say, cue BERBA proclaiming he's not surprised, as Chelsea are on the way down, and spurs are taking over, or something similar.

At least it'll keep him away from the united thread for a while.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good move for Spurs. The player himself might find it tough to get games but he will still be great to have in their squad. I reckon Kranjcar will move on now before the end of the window. I like him as a player and could see him doing well for another Premiership club. I believe he's been impressive for Croatia also in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Good move for Spurs. The player himself might find it tough to get games but he will still be great to have in their squad. I reckon Kranjcar will move on now before the end of the window. I like him as a player and could see him doing well for another Premiership club. I believe he's been impressive for Croatia also in recent months.

Liverpool were linked to him last Summer I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

kranjcar could be a very good signing for somebody like aston villa or even west brom who play a nice style of football. could well go abroad though if he does leave spurs.

I always thought he was a good player, at 3m or so, he'll do a very good job replacing modric. Especially since Harry will probably manage to get at least 10m from us for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not too disappointed. Would have been happy enough to see him in a Chelsea shirt, but good luck to him. Don't think he will be a first team regular at Spurs, but don't think he would have been at Chelsea either. It will give McEachran more of a chance to get first team experience too so thats a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I always thought he was a good player, at 3m or so, he'll do a very good job replacing modric. Especially since Harry will probably manage to get at least 10m from us for him.

Your going to pay us ten million for piennar why not just buy him now? Seems a bit daft great that modric signed a six year contract VDV and Bale just started there new contracts.

Your going to pay us ten million for piennar why not just buy him now? Seems a bit daft great that modric signed a six year contract VDV and Bale just started there new contracts.

I can always dream.

You can almost guarantee that most tabloids will see it as an opportunity to find 'sources close to the player' that know he's just softening the blow of modric leaving.

It's a good signing, could it be what ye need to get 4th? Less need to risk Modric for the smaller games, and the quality to rotate when ye're playing 3 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Not too disappointed. Would have been happy enough to see him in a Chelsea shirt, but good luck to him. Don't think he will be a first team regular at Spurs, but don't think he would have been at Chelsea either. It will give McEachran more of a chance to get first team experience too so thats a positive.

Chelsea? No thanks and was never going to happen, loved winding Harry up and making him pay over the odds.
    Even toffee fans thought of him as a luxury player who gave the ball away too much. Not good enough to be a first team player.
    Spurs needed a goal scorer (but then dont we all?), they are building the team around VDV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Surely he's only ever going to be a bench warmer? He won't start in in the hole becase Modric and VDV are better than him, likewise you have Bale and Lennon on the wings are better options. Honestly think Spurs would have been better off going for a truly top quality striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

fyp ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

sonic85 wrote: »
    kranjcar could be a very good signing for somebody like aston villa or even west brom who play a nice style of football. could well go abroad though if he does leave spurs.

I sincerly hope we're (Sunderland) interested. I've heard Fulham, Stoke and Everton are definitely interested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can always dream.

You can almost guarantee that most tabloids will see it as an opportunity to find 'sources close to the player' that know he's just softening the blow of modric leaving.

It's a good signing, could it be what ye need to get 4th? Less need to risk Modric for the smaller games, and the quality to rotate when ye're playing 3 times a week.

I'd say sources close to him are already talking about his summer move to left right and centre we're still outsiders for fourth unless we get our strikers scoring goals or bring one in that can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

For 2-3 million why not go for him?! Makes perfect sense for the club if not the player. Will more than do a job when needed, and versatile too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I was just about to say, cue BERBA proclaiming he's not surprised, as Chelsea are on the way down, and spurs are taking over, or something similar.

At least it'll keep him away from the united thread for a while.;)

you beat me to it Park :)

sign of the times though that Abramovich wouldnt meet pienaars wage demands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

niallo24 wrote: »
    For 2-3 million why not go for him?! Makes perfect sense for the club if not the player. Will more than do a job when needed, and versatile too.

He did well at Everton but in the first half of this season he was been some what of a disappointment. I don't think he is a great signing for Spurs, not really any better then what they currently have in Kranjcar. He might prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

When people are paying 24 mill for Darren Bent its a bargain.

niallo24 wrote: »
    When people are paying 24 mill for Darren Bent its a bargain.

and we get the 6m sunderland owe us still when we sold em bent ....all good;)

Thank chri$t we got our money back for Bent...phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I think Pienaar is a quality player and will be a huge bonus to the Spurs squad... Know he's been a little off this year... But so have Everton!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BERBA wrote: »
    you beat me to it Park :)

sign of the times though that Abramovich wouldnt meet pienaars wage demands

He was not worth 70k a week , simple as

Same way Joe Cole was not worth 80k a week , now I don't think that one backfired on the club at all as the lad now nicely warms the Liverpool bench for a handsome sum each week .

Sign of the times is that RA has written off all the CFC debts to the tune of a couple hundred million euros.

Sign of the times is that RA has written off all the CFC debts to the tune of a couple hundred million euros.

RA seems to have written yere PL chances off this season as well by getting rid of wilko;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Chelsea? No thanks and was never going to happen, loved winding Harry up and making him pay over the odds.
    Even toffee fans thought of him as a luxury player who gave the ball away too much. Not good enough to be a first team player.
    Spurs needed a goal scorer (but then dont we all?), they are building the team around VDV

He was voted player of the year by Everton fans last year. Ok he was playing poorly this year but i say he had one eye on a transfer anyways. Good tidy player. I reckon there may have been some sort of agreement Everton will get someone from Spurs on loan or something probably Krancjar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

am i missing something here, how can he be worth 'just' 3 million..

surely a player of his calibre is worth more than that.. shur you get players coming from the lower leagues nowadays noone ever heard of going for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

surely a player of his calibre is worth more than that.. shur you get players coming from the lower leagues nowadays noone ever heard of going for that...

out of contract in the summer

he'd have walked for nowt in the summer , count yereselves lucky 'arry gave ye 3m

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BERBA wrote: »
    RA seems to have written yere PL chances off this season as well by getting rid of wilko;)

I would take our chances over spurs , that's for sure !

It's been our worst season in a long time and were still ahead of spurs ,

Spurs are playing at a level there not used too , I would not be too surprised to see them fall off the wagon when the EPL , CL and fa cup games start coming thick n fast .

I would take our chances over spurs , that's for sure !

It's been our worst season in a long time and were still ahead of spurs ,

Spurs are playing at a level there not used too , I would not be too surprised to see them fall off the wagon when the EPL , CL and fa cup games start coming thick n fast .

great being in the thick of it though ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the Milan midfield are quaking in their boots at the thought of having to contain peanut in the first knockout round... Lolwut.

Seaneh wrote: »
    the Milan midfield are quaking in their boots at the thought of having to contain peanut in the first knockout round... Lolwut.

he wont be playing that night , he only a squad player.

They won't have too , I'd be surprised to see him on the pitch

I dont know if going to spurs is a step up as much as he would imagine...

apart from his nice bank balance at the end of the week, but money is the name of the game now sadly

Spurs will be luck to finish in the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Theyre probably as worried about Spurs' squad players as Redknapp is about Kevin Prince Boateng.

Ye should be worried tbh, they'll give ye a right game I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

flahavaj wrote: »
    Theyre probably as worried about Spurs' squad players as Redknapp is about Kevin Prince Boateng.

Very tidy player all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Tbf Prince-Boateng has made an excellent start at Milan and is a superior player to Pienaar. In case you don't remember Prince-Boateng had a very good world cup while Pienaar was anonymous.

I think Milan will easily beat Spurs.

Spurs CL dream will end, Milan are no major shakes despite been up near the top of the league, says more about the lack of quality in that league than how good they are.

They will edge it due to experience in this comp.

The point I was making is that both Pienaar and KPB are squad players, neither manager will be worried about a squad player really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

If I were Harry I would be thinking about Prince Boateng. He's started 10 and came on in 5 of the 20 league games of Milan this season. He ain't gonna get splinters any time soon.

If I were Harry I'd definitely be taking him into my thinking, he's direct, has pace and offers Milan something different. He's a good player.

If I were Harry I would be thinking about Prince Boateng. He's started 10 and came on in 5 of the 20 league games of Milan this season. He ain't gonna get splinters any time soon.

If I were Harry I'd definitely be taking him into my thinking, he's direct, has pace and offers Milan something different. He's a good player.

So he's a squad player. Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Chelsea are trying to get their wage bill under control and are become financially sensible. Pienaar isn't worth the 70k a week.

Spurs must not give a toss about their wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I dont know if going to spurs is a step up as much as he would imagine...

Oh it's a step up alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

First of all, Piennaar is a quality player. A really really good player!!

But you have to laugh at Harry!! The bloke is addicted to signing players!! He can't help himself.

And then he goes mental with Sky when they call him a wheeler deeler. Sure all he ever does is wheel and deals while talking about other clubs players!!

He's addicted to this. When was the last transfer window that Del Boy Redknapp did not sign anyone. I bet you can't find any!!

"Triffic player. Triffic player, Sign him up. Offer 3 million. No higher."

"But Harry, he's a dog. And he can't even catch the frisbee".

"But he has the protential to be a top top triffic frisbee catching dog. I can handle it, for Christsake. Come on, just give a signing. Any signing. I CAN HANDLE IT!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ive been saying it all week on the Chelsea thread, its not big lose if we dont get him, now that it turns out we didnt, I stand by my "meh" comment. Decent player, he will struggle to get into the Spurs team, wish the lad well though, he might get a game next year with squad rotation, playing games inthe Europa league and what not :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So he's a squad player. Good.

I'd say he's fairly likely to start to be honest... It depends on whether we play with 3 front men or two front men and an AMC. If its the latter he is first choice. if its the first, he's more likely to play as one of the midfield 3, but Ambrosini, Gattauso and Prilo would be first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tbf Prince-Boateng has made an excellent start at Milan and is a superior player to Pienaar. In case you don't remember Prince-Boateng had a very good world cup while Pienaar was anonymous.

I think Milan will easily beat Spurs.

Ghana >>> South Africa.

Neither player is gonna set the world alight. Boateng wasn't that impressive with Pompey but he does look better since going to Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This gets a big meh from me. He would have been a snip at 3m but we hardly need him or anything, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Essien wrote: »
    we hardly need him or anything
    Given Benayoun's injuries, Chelsea arguably need him more than Spurs. But yeah, still not an essential.

North London must have the highest population density of attacking midfielders. Wenger's been stockpiling for years, now Redknapp's doing the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement