Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony eBook reader

• 18-01-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi folks.
    The sister got a Sony ebook reader and is not the most technically minded, anyway got it set up for her and went about getting a few books. All went well till we got to see the prices of the books €23.99 compared to €10.99 for the paperback version :eek:
    Then after registering for WHSmiths (with the proper address) the site would not accept a Dublin postcode! Seems idiotic to have to give a physical address in order to buy and pay for a book I am going to download?

So.. any help or ideas from those of you who have been using these sites and readers would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

WH Smith doesn't work for Irish addresses. Try Waterstones.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

This is probably not the advice you were looking for but she should of gotten an Amazon Kindle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

bonzer79 wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    The sister got a Sony ebook reader and is not the most technically minded, anyway got it set up for her and went about getting a few books. All went well till we got to see the prices of the books €23.99 compared to €10.99 for the paperback version :eek:
    Then after registering for WHSmiths (with the proper address) the site would not accept a Dublin postcode! Seems idiotic to have to give a physical address in order to buy and pay for a book I am going to download?

So.. any help or ideas from those of you who have been using these sites and readers would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Bonzer.

I got a Sony Reader as a present the Xmas 2009. Have similar problem. WH Smiths or Waterstones seems to be the stores we can access at present. I am beginning to think those readers are more bother then they are worth and the industry are tying themselves up similar to music mp3. People have always bought and swapped books - it is all part of the fun of it. At the moment I find that the ebooks I require on the WH Smith site and Waterstone site are just as expensive as what i can purchase paperback from Amazon. I dont know of any Irish supplier of ebooks yet. The concept is wonderful but sadly the market hasn't copped on to it yet. Best of luck with the Reader and hope you get used to managing and manipulating it. P.S. If you have a friend in North Of Ireland that might let you use their address would be a help, but maybe not the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I bought books for my Sony eReader a good while back on http://www.ebook.com/.
    Dunno if they still allow orders from Ireland but they are probably worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dartperson

I have a Sony reader and over the past two years I have bought books from various sources e.g. ebooks .com, waterstones etc. As mentioned my other for some crazy reason W H Smith will not sell into Ireland. If you access Sony they do not have a European site and their Irish and UK sites recommend that we purchase from Waterstones and WH Smoth. I have already spoke to them and told them that telling Irish users to buy from WH Smith is rubbish.

Up to now I have had no problem buying from Waterstomes but three times in the last week their site trefused to let me buy some books from Mochael Connelly. They say its a publisher issue. The book I want is £9 from waterstones and less than $5 on the sony USA site which will not deal with me.

Anyone else having such problems?

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

Dartperson wrote: »
    I have a Sony reader and over the past two years I have bought books from various sources e.g. ebooks .com, waterstones etc. As mentioned my other for some crazy reason W H Smith will not sell into Ireland. If you access Sony they do not have a European site and their Irish and UK sites recommend that we purchase from Waterstones and WH Smoth. I have already spoke to them and told them that telling Irish users to buy from WH Smith is rubbish.

Up to now I have had no problem buying from Waterstomes but three times in the last week their site trefused to let me buy some books from Mochael Connelly. They say its a publisher issue. The book I want is £9 from waterstones and less than $5 on the sony USA site which will not deal with me.

Anyone else having such problems?

Regards
    I got a Sony Reader as a present the Xmas 2009. Have similar problem. WH Smiths or Waterstones seems to be the stores we can access at present. I am beginning to think those readers are more bother then they are worth and the industry are tying themselves up similar to music mp3. People have always bought and swapped books - it is all part of the fun of it. At the moment I find that the ebooks I require on the WH Smith site and Waterstone site are just as expensive as what i can purchase paperback from Amazon. I dont know of any Irish supplier of ebooks yet. The concept is wonderful but sadly the market hasn't copped on to it yet. Best of luck with the Reader and hope you get used to managing and manipulating it. P.S. If you have a friend in North Of Ireland that might let you use their address would be a help, but maybe not the best solution.

I have given up completely on my Sony Reader. Couldn't get it to read the software. Most of the books I read now are paperback or hardback and are available from the reputable Book Stores and Amazon have a great selection. Often very much cheaper then the electronic version. And I can swap or lend to a friend when read. The Ereader would be useful when travelling if you need alot of books and wish to cut down on weight. Maybe when Sony get there act together on there software issues and are in a better position to offer a good aftersales service I would consider another ereader from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I use booksonboard.com with a Google Checkout account. I put my billing address as an American hotel I stayed in before, and it's worked so far.

I've used diesel-ebooks.com a few times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Get cheaper books on Amazon.co.uk and still read them on your Sony Reader

1. Go to amazon.co.uk
    2. Create an account
    3. Go to the Kindle section
    4. Note that you can't sample/buy eBooks here as amazon has detected that you are not in the UK... no problem!!
    5. Go to 'Manage Your Kindle'
    6. Then go to 'Country Settings'
    7. Make up a UK address. Just be sure that the post matches the city

8. Go to http://nyquil.org/archives/1235-Converting-Amazon-Kindle-For-PC-Books-Now-Possible.html
    9. Download and install the older version of the Kindle reader application for PC
    10. Also download the python scripts mentioned there.

11. Fire up the Kindle reader app and enter your amazon account details
    12. From the amazon website you should now be able to download UK priced eBook title for reading on the Kindle PC application

13. Quit the PC Kindle application and fire up the 'unswindle' application. This will then allow you to remove the DRM-protection from the Kindle ebook
    14. Using an application called Calibre you can now organise your books, convert them to the ePub format and then sync them onto the Sony reader!

All legit and above board. Afterall, you have paid for the books.

Advertisement