Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Musical

• 18-01-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

My number one most hated musical ever is:
    Fiddler on the Roof - All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
    (most favourite one is 7 brides for 7 brothers)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I remember going to see Fiddler on the Roof & it annoyed me too lol. (not the actors, just the story/songs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Great! The society that I'm a member of is doing that musical this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

lol - ah I'm sure your production will be great, when you're in the production it's completely different anyway. And also there are loads of people who love fiddler on the roof, everyone has their own favourites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Musicals I don't like: Hot Mikado, Starlight Express, Fame, Annie...I'm sure there are others too. I generally am not a fan of ALW with the exception of Phantom and JCS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

The Sound of Music:mad::mad:. Soppy, with really badly voiced arrangements for the orchestra unless you have a 25 piece band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Chess..just go feck off I don't care for this one at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Harvey girls is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Oh God YES! My parents took me to this when I was about 8 and it nearly put me off musicals for life.

Chess, while great to play, is the most boring game EVER to watch. Whatever the hell made Bjorn and Benny think a musical about it would be any more exciting???

Company - the songs are sh*t.

You're not serious about Company?

Sorry Grateful? Being Alive? I'm Not Getting Married Today? Barcelona ;) Some classics there! I love the show, a real accurate snapshot of relationships IMO

• Advertisement

My sister Eileen is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CBBB

has to be Chess, dated, 2 good songs, complicated story with a crap ending!

Wicked was good, I'd love to see that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Do you think a bad production could put you off a musical?

I saw Les Mis when it was in Dublin years ago - loved it, then I saw it on the west end and thought it was horrible and painful to sit through - but then the 25th Anniversary Concert just blew me away well apart from Nick Jonas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 prosarch

Worst one i saw was JFK The Musical - seriously bad. And I am not making it up (I have the program somewhere to prove it). I sat through two hours of it. It was in the Olympia many years ago and it was terrible. Meant to be headed for Broadway, but not a chance. Thankfully never heard of again.

Chess!!! I love it!!! :)

Alan

Worst musical is Louisiana purchase with Bob Hope. Complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

prosarch wrote: »
    Worst one i saw was JFK The Musical - seriously bad.

lol can't believe that even exists....

i didn't particularly like we will rock you... or the hired man... how depressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chaim

I would say that The Musical of "The Fields of Ambrosia " which annoyed me a lot . I consider it a worst Musical ever in my life . Thanks

Vishal Bhatia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

stoneill wrote: »

Gotta agree with this. I fcuking hate Fiddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chenacross

It's not that bad...
    stoneill wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I despise The Likes Of Us.
    I was supposed to be a chorus member in a youth theatre's production, but I couldn't stick it. The songs drove me insane.

Not much of a fan of Annie, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I love Fiddler. Its a great show. Chess is one of my all time favourites. Fantastic music, it just has to be produced right. There's a good amount of humour in it too.

The worst show of them all - the god awful 'Finians Rainbow'. Its a terrible show.

Other noticable mentions:

The Hot Mikado
    Pirates of Penzance
    Sweet Charity
    Starlight Express
    The Sound of Music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Have to say I was never a fan of Annie. She always bugged me a lot & kinda wanted to slap her!
    Chess is worth a mention too - some good songs but the plot....dear god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I think Starlight is fantastic, it's no mean feat at all to be able to do an entire show wearing bootskates. The songs are nice too. It's nothign amazing, but by no means the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

I was at the musical Metropolis in London sometimes in the late 80's. It was set in a city in the future, very technical, massive sets. Just a couple of allright songs.

After 20 minutes the set broke down. After a 10 minute delay they said "We'll take the interval now". After another 20 minutes it was cancelled!! We got our money back!

Guess what song was just after being played? (well you obviously wont guess)....The Machines Are Beautiful.....!!!!

It wasnt actually bad....just never got to see it all!!

The other which was weird was Which Witch. I have vague memories of 3 horned characters flying around the stage with either 3 horns out of their head or 3 penises Im not sure! Totally weird.

Also didnt really like Martin Guerre.

You probably say how in the name of God I found 3 as strange as that! But that time I used to go to everything in London!! Now im more selective!

Actually I think Fiddler and West Side Story are among the best of the "old" musicals. Fiddler very powerful and West Side ahead of its time.

h

Spider man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Fell asleep during the first part of "Sunday In The Park With George" went to the bar during the interval and never went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Nolanger wrote: »
    Spider man :D
    :p

Can't wait to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 wobblyheadedbob

I think Carousel has to be one of the worst, the lead character has nothing by way of personality going for him and I gag at the end when he slaps the daughter but she says it 'feels like kisses'...ugh

Michael Collins the musical was quite rubbish.

• Advertisement

Saw it in Tralee this year and have to disagree. The passion in that musical is as close to being an Irish Les Mis as any Irish show has ever come...Fly the Flag of Freedom High ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

My partner and I really didn't enjoy Wicked when we went to see it. I don't get all the hype with it :confused:

My partner and I really didn't enjoy Wicked when we went to see it. I don't get all the hype with it :confused:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That said, either did my Dad. But I've never heard of a girl who didn't like it.

(Best. Musical. Ever.)

I've seen it 9 times! Having said that my enjoyment level has varied hugely depending on the cast. Where did you see it and which leads did you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That said, either did my Dad. But I've never heard of a girl who didn't like it.

(Best. Musical. Ever.)
    athtrasna wrote: »
    I've seen it 9 times! Having said that my enjoyment level has varied hugely depending on the cast. Where did you see it and which leads did you have?

I saw it in the West End about 2 years ago. Not sure who the leads were but I couldn't fault the performances, so don't think that would have spoiled it for me. None of the songs really grabbed me apart from Defying Gravity and I just found the storyline a bit dull.

Maybe I need to watch the movie when it comes out and give it another chance :)

Maybe I need to watch the movie when it comes out and give it another chance :)
    You'll be waiting a while - if they ever do one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Was like Les Mis on speed , a bit too frenetic but would not call it bad by any means, needed to be cut heavily is all.

Advertisement