Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71 Error + Flash? (Xbox 360)

Options
  • 18-01-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anybody fix my E71 error on my xbox? I'm looking for somebody who can fix the problem and also flash the newest firmware to play 'backup. games. I think I have 1.41 on it atm. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

E71 is related to a corrupted or otherwise failed dashboard update. You can try to reset the console by powering it off (disconnect power and reconnect power), holding the sync button on the console and pressing the power button. Hold the sync button until the console finishes booting up fully. If the console doesn't boot up fully then your NAND is toast and it's new console or Microsoft Repair time unless you have a backup copy or something :)

Flashing DVD drives is a modding service, find a list of people who offer it in the Modding Services sticky thread at the top of the forum. It'd be wise to remove what you intend to use the firmware for - no matter how implicit it is, when you're explicit you're opening yourself up for a world of pain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Don't say the B word! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Have the same problem.
    Can anybody tell me how to fix this properly? No towel trick bullpoo!

I don't mind cracking it open and have a go at fixing it cause it's out of warranty so its worth a go.

Can anybody point me to a video or tutorial for a bit of help would be much appreciated?

Regards!

clonadlad wrote: »
    Have the same problem.
    Can anybody tell me how to fix this properly? No towel trick bullpoo!

I don't mind cracking it open and have a go at fixing it cause it's out of warranty so its worth a go.

Can anybody point me to a video or tutorial for a bit of help would be much appreciated?

Regards!

I've told you what the problem is and what the fix is.

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to return it to Microsoft then your last option to is solder a nand reader/writer to the board and flash a stock version of the Dashboard to the console. This is only possible if you already have the CPU key for the console and a working keyvault - I doubt you have these, not many people do.

The OP just PM'd me to say that he now has an E73 error - The E73 error can be a few things but I think it highly coincidental that he's got it after an E71. I reckon it's the E73 related to a bad nand/nand flash and that this console is toast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Oh well! It's had its money worth. Got it over a year ago and I've played about 60+ games on it. Not too bad for €160. The thing is, I'm not too sure whether it has always been E73 or not. I might of just got confused. I haven't even been bothered about it as I have another one anyway. If I haven't had the E71 before E73 we it fixable? :)

Not really IMO, the E73 is a tricky beast - at least 5 unrelated things can cause them :/

And they are? :P

E73 is a general hardware error and can be caused by:

A malfunctioning ethernet chip
    X-clamps being too tight on the CPU
    X-clamps being too tight on the GPU
    Corrupted nand files
    Southbridge fault
    HANA/RAM fault

Should I go on? The major smoking gun would be the E71 leading into the E73 which points to a nand issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

E73 is a general hardware error and can be caused by:

A malfunctioning ethernet chip
    X-clamps being too tight on the CPU
    X-clamps being too tight on the GPU
    Corrupted nand files
    Southbridge fault
    HANA/RAM fault

Should I go on? The major smoking gun would be the E71 leading into the E73 which points to a nand issue.

I have to say, you've a most impressive knowledge of 360 architecture & it's workings.

TouchingVirus, our resident Xbox detective :D Elementery my dear Virus.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I have to say, you've a most impressive knowledge of 360 architecture & it's workings.

TouchingVirus, our resident Xbox detective :D Elementery my dear Virus.

Cheers dude, it only wish what you wrote was true :p :pac:

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but is there anyway I can find out what the problem is?

BTW, I remembered, I've actually never had the E71 error. That was my mistake. I remember reading up on the error when I first got it and it came up stuff about the ethernet port. So I'm not too sure if it's the NAND.

Would somebody on here be able to come out and collect it and try to fix it? For a fee of course. :D

Trial and error is the only way, even Microsoft stopped bothering to fix them and just give you a reconditioned/refurbished board if you send yours into them.

For somebody who says it doesn't owe you a thing you sure are going out of your way to fix it :p

As for a quick way to find out what the problem is, try getting the secondary error code (hold sync while RRODing and press eject 4 times noting the lights that light up - 4 is 0, 1 = 1, 2 = 2, 3=3) - sample codes include 0011 for a CPU overheat, 0102 for 'general hardware fault', 0022 for a GPU error/overheat etc. Be warned that not all error codes are known and even if your one is known it might not actually be the issue - a lot of this is guesswork.

Ha ha I actually don't really. I just want to keep one legal and to use that for Kinect in the sitting room. ;) I'll do that later and report back. :D

Just took the xbox back out of the wardrobe as I'm bored and gave it a lash... Error code is 1021. 6 months later... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

looking through the thread
    I doubt its the nand,
    The fact it was a e71 followed by a e73 leads me to think its a problem with the solderballs under the south bridge or one of the solderballs under the
    gpu that leads to the southbridge.
    In my personal experience a gpu/southbridge reflow should sort out the problem.
    When I say reflow I mean a proper professional grade reflow with a rework station not a heatgun.
    One thing to check though have you ever worked on the console missing parts ie. resistors and caps or damaged traces around the southbridge can cause it.

I've never had the E71 error, that was my mistake. All that's ever been done to the Xbox is flashed, don't know how as I bought the xbox pre-flashed. :)

get the gpu reflowed and southbridge if needs be.
    Give it to someone with a proper rework station to do it.

What price would we be looking at for this job? :cool:

EDIT: Lol I just took this Xbox out, gave the ethernet port a little blow, and it's WORKING. WTF? :p

EDIT 2: Nah, I tried updating the dash, got some error code then turned it off and it's back to the E73.

intersting sounds like a damaged motherboard
    or a southbridge problem
    going to need some troubleshooting
    the services sticky should turn up some results

• Advertisement
Advertisement