Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy Tree Mahon Falls

Options
  • 18-01-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Was up at the Mahon Falls earlier and noticed some thug chopped down the Fairy tree anyone else see this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The tree was fine up until lately when people started to tie rubbish to it, rubbish the sheep were eating and not digesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

elius wrote: »
    Was up at the Mahon Falls earlier and noticed some thug chopped down the Fairy tree anyone else see this?

Did it fall upwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IrishCalypso

Terrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

dayshah wrote: »
    Did it fall upwards?

I know I shouldn't... :D

OP, did you take any pics? Did it happen recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just seen this on WLR's facebook page, they have photos of it, looks like someone used a chain saw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Some mindless idiots out there!! :mad: Cant have anything these days, hope the fairies fight back

Well I hope the fairies feck them over.

But I wouldn't use the word mindless to describe it. I mean, it was clearly a planned out attack, not the sort of mindless vandalism done by drunks on the way home from a nightclub. They must have gotten a saw and a car, and done it while it was dark.

Maybe it was done as a dare? Or because of what Poor Uncle Tom was saying, maybe local farmers got annoyed with it and cut it down?

Mindless is the wrong word to use, but what made them get a chainsaw and go cut it down?
    Hope they have no luck, heard a story on the radio earlier bout a guy who dug up a fairy ring and he never worked a day after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I have heard of the magic road,but today was the first time i heard about this tree :confused:

Everyone on facebook talking about it!!

165761_179265888780813_139214626119273_402496_6733023_n.jpg

163740_179265895447479_139214626119273_402497_3148989_n.jpg

166602_179265992114136_139214626119273_402498_6304893_n.jpg

164152_179265835447485_139214626119273_402495_8234932_n.jpg

• Advertisement

That is sad, I wonder what would motivate somebody to do something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Or because of what Poor Uncle Tom was saying, maybe local farmers got annoyed with it and cut it down?
    That was my first thought, but I'd doubt it. The storey will out eventually, it always does.

Cutting it down serves no purpose, honestly the pictures are actually disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't get it myself,

Still though the tree has nothing to do with the "magic" so maybe just stick up a sign or something and all will be back to normal.

You'd wonder what the hell people would be thinking of though wouldn't ya?

Sad to see though, cant have anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

It's a shame, a lot of people are upset about it.

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't get it myself,

Still though the tree has nothing to do with the "magic" so maybe just stick up a sign or something and all will be back to normal.

You'd wonder what the hell people would be thinking of though wouldn't ya?

There was a sign with "magic road/bóthar draíocht".

It was robbed, and makes an attractive theft target for tourists. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

most miserable pointless act I have heard of in a while. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

some people should just get a life for themselves and stop doin mindless vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Fairies will get them back for messing with that tree!

(better chance than the Gardai doing it anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Is it too late to bolt it together, put pruning paint on it and stake it up? I know it can be done if you get to it early but I'm not sure how long before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I find it hard to believe someone would do this. What the hell is wrong with these people?:mad:

Lads in fairness its only a tree,there is a lot worse things to worry about.

Lads in fairness its only a tree,there is a lot worse things to worry about.

Of course it is, but that's not the point; it seems to have brought a little bit of happiness to a lot of people over the years, and If everybody took the 'more important things to worry about' attitude we'd be ****ting in the streets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

not even one bit funny. what possess people? its not the end of the world and there are more serious things to be concerned with, but its a damn shame a piece of priceless local history is lost. (toursim is important too, especially to an area not able to rely on McD's and starbucks)

JustinOval wrote: »
    Of course it is, but that's not the point; it seems to have brought a little bit of happiness to a lot of people over the years, and If everybody took the 'more important things to worry about' attitude we'd be ****ting in the streets. :D

Yeah your right,my comment wasn't meant to sound bad,if it brought people happiness then good, this country needs it,"If every tree in the world was like the magic tree,there would be no need for heaven....'We would already be in it' :)

I had a friend from England. About his only knowledge of Ireland was from watching Father Ted and going to 'Irish' pubs.

He came over to visit me in Waterford so I brought him up to see the magic road and the fairy tree, to feed into the whole 'Father Ted' type aspect. He was really impressed by the road, and it will be a lot harder now to find without the tree. Having a fairy tree there just added to the magic.

Of course its just a tree, and blaas are just bread, and the metal man is just a statue. But they are Waterford's tree, Waterford's bread and Waterford's statue. Things like the fairy tree make Ireland a special place, and what make Waterford home.

It might take 30 years, but that tree will grow back. Waterford fairies never say die :)

I had a friend from England. About his only knowledge of Ireland was from watching Father Ted and going to 'Irish' pubs.

He came over to visit me in Waterford so I brought him up to see the magic road and the fairy tree, to feed into the whole 'Father Ted' type aspect. He was really impressed by the road, and it will be a lot harder now to find without the tree. Having a fairy tree there just added to the magic.

Of course its just a tree, and blaas are just bread, and the metal man is just a statue. But they are Waterford's tree, Waterford's bread and Waterford's statue. Things like the fairy tree make Ireland a special place, and what make Waterford home.

It might take 30 years, but that tree will grow back. Waterford fairies never say die :)

I like the way you think boy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Ok people - I've heard of the magic road & it's magical ways but what's this 'magic tree' thing about? :confused:

Jubo wrote: »
    Ok people - I've heard of the magic road & it's magical ways but what's this 'magic tree' thing about? :confused:

Its not a magic tree, its a fairy tree. It was just by the magic road, so you knew you were on the magic part of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The tree was fine up until lately when people started to tie rubbish to it, rubbish the sheep were eating and not digesting.

Yes so a chance a farmer might have got fed up with this nonsense and cut it down.

Advertisement