Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy Tree Mahon Falls

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I've just seen a picture on facebook, looks like it was only planted today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

STIG83 wrote: »
    I've just seen a picture on facebook, looks like it was only planted today. :)

Can you post a link? I never knew fairies used facebook

Here the pic from Fb
    I got it from the Kilmacthomas Photo Archive, Past and Present

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thats a kind of fairy tower block!

Seriously, great work those who planted it, lets hope the fairies adopt it and it survives!

Hopefully this one wont be touched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

STIG83 wrote: »
    Hopefully this one wont be touched

No it's just the fairys who are "Touched" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Funfair wrote: »
    No it's just the fairys who are "Touched" :D
    In any other thread that sentence would get you banned.......:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

slightly off-topic, but was the house of the alleged nazi nearby every sold?

slightly off-topic, but was the house of the alleged nazi nearby every sold?

Never heard of this, can you give more info on it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was there as a child, my aunt-in-law in the area knew the gardener or someone. The place was crammed with the most wonderful antiques. He was called Menten, I think. Shortly after he was banned from coming to Ireland and she told us that before offical word of his ban came through that a fleet of trucks came to remove much of the furniture.

I can't remember the exact location of the house but I know it is near to the Fairy Tree and Magic road.

• Advertisement

ok, wasn't dreaming
    http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-8788533/Our-Nazi-fugitives-Secret-life.html

"The most notorious Nazi to hide out in Ireland was Dutchman Pieter Menten, who had made a name for himself as an art collector following the war. It wasnt until the 1980s that the true horror of his crimes was exposed, and he was sentenced to ten years for his part in murdering 20 villagers in Poland in1941.
    On his release, he had hoped to return to his home in Mahon Bridge, Co.Waterford, but the Government, under international pressure, stopped him from re-entering the country. He died in 1987."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 daber

Where is this magic road?

daber wrote: »

On the way up to the Mahon Falls in the Comeragh Mountains

If you put a car in neutral on the magic road, it seems to roll back up the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ok, wasn't dreaming
    http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-8788533/Our-Nazi-fugitives-Secret-life.html

"The most notorious Nazi to hide out in Ireland was Dutchman Pieter Menten, who had made a name for himself as an art collector following the war. It wasnt until the 1980s that the true horror of his crimes was exposed, and he was sentenced to ten years for his part in murdering 20 villagers in Poland in1941.
    On his release, he had hoped to return to his home in Mahon Bridge, Co.Waterford, but the Government, under international pressure, stopped him from re-entering the country. He died in 1987."

I always think of the Comeraghs as just wilderness, but its mad the amount of history up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

daber wrote: »

GPS co-ords N 52. 12.989 W 7.31.820

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

sad news about the tree. I read somewhere recently that a farie tree in glastonbury was cut down also. how people get their kicks eh?

re magic road. it's not really magic. if you google magnetic or gravity hill you can see this is a natural occurrence.

Flop

ps interesting story about the nazi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

flop wrote: »
    re magic road. it's not really magic. if you google magnetic or gravity hill you can see this is a natural occurrence.
    i

..and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, just a (mild) optical illusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

ok, wasn't dreaming

There was a documentary about him on rte a while back, cant find it now. It was very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you put a car in neutral on the magic road, it seems to roll back up the hill.

Wa d'ya mean, it SEEMS to roll back up the hill, it DOES. Its magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

flop wrote: »
    sad news about the tree. I read somewhere recently that a farie tree in glastonbury was cut down also. how people get their kicks eh?

Flop

ps interesting story about the nazi

Its a kind of magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Right how do you get to the magic road from the city?,i havent been in the mountains in years and i was never on the road,i want to go up on Sunday so any directions from locals would be great or if anyone is doing nothing on Sunday and wants to meet up and show me the way that would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

N25 to McGraths Cross turn right (where the railway line crossed the road at the western slip into Kilmac) When you've turned off the Main Road turn left immediately and follow this road through to its intersection with the Lemybrien to Carrick road. This is Mahon Bridge.
    Straight through this junction and straight through the next one 50m away having kept the shop on your right, you are now on the road to the mountain.
    After about a mile and a half take the first right turn and continue until you cross the cattle grid, congradulations, you are now on the mountain. About 80m ahead of you on the left is the position of the Fairy Tree (or at least where it was).
    Stop your car or bike here and it should roll back "up" towards the cattle grid.
    Enjoy.
    If you drive a further mile or so you will come to the car park for the Mahon Falls, well worth a trip but don't leave any valuables in the car as there are a lot of breakins there, gurriers or well trained sheep, I'm not too sure.

Advertisement