Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power consumption monitoring socket?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey,

I'm trying to find a monitoring socket that will calculate and display, in watts, the maximum power consumed from a standard 3 pin socket.

I found one in the Bord Gáis shop which seems to fit the bill but they are out of stock and the maker of the device seems to be out of stock as well.

Any ideas on shops or websites which might have something like this?
    I would like to see my system draw before I attempt to overclock ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That looks pretty cheap IMHO.

Such devices are oddly hard to find in Europe; commoner in the US for some reason. Please bear in mind that such a device can only give you the actual power consumption, not the amount of power used by the components, as you have to figure in the power dissipated by PSU inefficiencies. Its the reason I'm still clinging to my good old Odin GT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MMiskella

Yea I mainly want to know the suitability of my PSU for the system I have and if there is much overclocking headroom. I want to do it based on actual power draw from the socket then the 50% and 100% efficiencies are stated by Corsair so the actual power delivered can be extrapolated within reasonable accuracy, can put that against calculated power consumption based on voltages/amps where possible and get a decent idea of whats going on :)

Cheaper and more all encompassing then one that will acquire figures from pins/molex connections I would imagine.

Had a look on Ebay today and found a good few different makes for them based in the UK so I ordered one, 14.49euro delivered and it looks a bit more advanced so seems reasonable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Have you tried radionics.ie?

Have you tried radionics.ie?

Excellent suggestion. Can't believe I didn't think of them myself but I just gave it a look around and they only seem to offer component style items which needs to be wired into the supply and fitted to a unit.

That would make for a ruddy good case mod ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I got one in Maplins Dundalk their website have a few http://www.maplin.co.uk/power/mains-electrical/power-and-energy-monitors

• Advertisement

Took delivery of mine and did some quick tests with just the plug for the system drawing current through the monitoring socket, these are my components and results, which i'm very pleased with.

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6Ghz
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    4GB DDR3 Patriot Viper PC3-12800C7
    2x WD Raptor - RAID 0
    6970 Crossfire
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Samsung 22x DVD RW
    Obsidian 700D (3 x 120mm Corsair fans)
    Win 7
    Corsair Gold AX850

Idle - 112.5 watts max (PF - 84)
    3dmark11 - 477.4 watts max (PF - 96)
    60 seconds of Kombuster - 524.8 watts max (PF - 96)
    About 15 minutes of Mafia 2 - 388.6 watts max

I'm not totally sure what the power factor (PF) readings relate to exactly with respect to the system but I do understand what it is. Bit more research and I should be able to tell if they are significant to what I want to know, someone with more knowledge might find them informative so I posted them anyway.

Advertisement