Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got an opinion on the Canon 7D?

• 18-01-2011 7:13pm

Hey all,

Have been reading a little bit up on the 7D, but was wondering if anyone here used one a bit and could give a 'real life' opinion on it (as opposed to spcific factory-like tests and stuff, that I can find loads of online).

Pretty much; I have a 20D and an Olympus E-420. The Olympus has been great to me, but I find that general shooting, the Canon sees a lot more use, mostly because of the extraordinarily poor ISO performance of the E-420. T'was grand to use with a flashgun, but I've recently broken that, so I'm considering flogging my Olympus stuff, going for a 7D and then using the 20D as my secondary camera.

The upside to this is that they both have the same mount and can use accessories belong to each other (a luxury not afforded when using two different brands). I also don't have to deal with different aspect ratios and keep remembering to frame accordingly (I tend to only print 8x10s).

As it is, I haven't really bought too much into the Canon system. 20D with an 18-55 kit lens and a 1.8 50mm lens is about all I have, so I've still got room to dump Canon and go with Olympus.

So, as I say, I've been looking at the 7D as a potential new camera for myself. I've boards' searched and Googled around, and people seem fairly vague when talking about it. Most of the threads I've found on forums seem to be from when the camera just got released and no one had it (lots of comments about "see what early buyers think first" and "wait to find out about known bugs" etc.).

Alternatively, is there a better direction I could take than the route of the 7D?

I'd be using it for a bit of everything. I haven't done much (anything) sports, nature, etc. related, but I'd hope to down the line, and I'd also plan to bring it to gigs for shots (I've heard the handling of noise at higher ISO's is supposed to be really good, which is what put it on my radar in the first place).

Any thoughts?

Also, if there are any strobistophiles (there's a new made up word for you), I'm looking at the Metz 58 AF1 as a new flash to get, too. I love the idea of the second flash on the body for fill in light or catchlights or whatever you want to use it for. Seems ingenious, but I don't really know anything about flashguns, except that my last one, which i didn't love or hate, but was comfortable with, was a Metz 48 Af-1.

(Hellooooo Credit Union!)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I upgraded from a 50d to a 7d last year. I think the 7d is a great camera however it is a beast. My advice would be that if you are really into photography and know you'll take your time to get used to the majority of the features, then yes it is an excellent slr.

However if you are a dabbler, more hobbiest then I would suggest the 60d. I think that is a more user friendly camera that contains all the items that I was looking for when I changed in a more user-friendly body.

Also somebody will be along soon to advise you to invest in decent lenses. Not bad advice but not answering your question.

Any questions let me know

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The 7D is a good step up from the 20D. It has a lot more functions - video, high ISO, clearer LCD, more megapixels, etc.

I had a use of one for a while, and liked it. I've had a 20D, used a 50D and 7D.

The 7D is lovely.

Hey guys,

Yeah, I'm aware that getting better 'glass' would be recommended, alright. And it's something I'll most likely look into a little later down the line, but as it stands, I'd like to just get a body I'm very happy with.

The 20D has been excellent to me. However, when using it at gigs and such, I find it's ISO limits a bit restrictive. and when you get to 1,600 or so, it gets fairly noticeable noise, where even in-focus images look a bit soft.

I've heard, though not actually seen in play, that the 7D's ISO performance is excellent, and it's autofocus is great too.

Now, to be honest, I haven't used any other bodies, so I'm not sure if the improved autofocus will actually help me out with focusing, or if it's down mostly to the lens, but I find that the 50mm 1.8 on my 20D can't keep up with people moving in poor lighting. It seems to get very easily confused, and the auto-focus select points on the screen aren't ideal for shooting in portait orientation with people.

I probably wouldn't use the video function too much, but I suppose it'd be nice to play with. Doesn't really have any affect on me at all.

I was actually out on Saturday with a woman who was shooting with a 7D. I didn't notice it was a 7D until fairly late on, and only got to hold it for a couple of seconds. Felt nice and bulky (though it had a 580EX flashgun and battery grip attached) though I didn't really get a good enough chance to look at it.

One thing I would specifically like to ask is; what are it's real-life bad points? (by real life, I mean things you'd actually notice. When I was buying my Metz 48 AF-1, I was reading reviews, where reviewers were taking marks off it because they felt Metz diagram on the battery cover, that shows what direction to place the batteries in, could have been clearer. That kinda silly, trivial stuff that no one would ever notice doesn't mean much to me).

Also, can anyone recommend a store to buy a 7D from? In real life or online, doesn't matter (though if it's an actual shop, I'd rather it be somewhere close enough to me). I'm almost certainly going to be going the eBay route for the Metz 58 AF-1, but I would like to get a warranty or somesuch with the 7D, as it'll be a relatively expensive purchase for me (unless I can get an amazing second hand price, but I doubt it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Got a 7d just before going to Africa this year. Filmed a ten-minute documentary on it, and have never had a single problem.

I was stepping up from a 30d, and it's a major improvement.

Fabulous in low light, too.

First two vids here: http://vimeo.com/markhamnolan/videos shot with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Went from a 40D to a 7D last year with no regrets.

Noise handling as you've mentioned was a big step up - never would have pushed the 40d to 1600 but got some great results from the 7D. Focusing was another big improvement - felt the 40d was letting me down at times but the 7D is fast, accurate and highly customisable. One of the areas I find the 7D strong is on tracking moving subjects. Easy to configure for back button focus as well which I find myself using increasingly.

It's bulky alright but then again so was the 20d and I far prefer it's form factor to the new 60D - purely personal preference.

In short, I love it and it'll be some time before I'm inclined to think about a different body.

Regarding the flash, if you do go down the 7D route you might want to consider whether the Metz works with the 7D's off-camera TTL function if you've any interest in using it. I know the Canon strobes do and if you're looking for a cheaper option you can go down the Sigma 530 Super route as I did.

Couldn't advise on a bricks and mortar outlet although I got mine from Warehouse Express and have also used Park Cameras in the past and found them great to deal with.

• Advertisement

With regard to where to buy the camera I got mine from Ian Kerr search for him or kerso and you'll find nothing but good reports on the web.

Just want to agree with the post above regarding the flash, I found the wireless flash on the 7d great and something that really added to the package.
    There are loads of resources on the web so that once you buy the camera you can set it up correctly
    C

Bricks and mortar shop - Gunns on Wexford Street. You can always phone ahead, ask for a price and if they have any in stock (they should have).

I think you'll find the 7D a massive improvement over the 20D, especially with focusing and high ISO.

+1 on Kerso. I use him for all my glass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Went for a 7d at the end of last summer, bit apprehensive taking the jump ( cost wise, i'm a student etc ) But i can safely say it's worth every cent.

I really really like the 'bulkyness' of it. I have quite large hands, that tended to smother my previous canons, but it's bigger so i feel more comfortable using and operating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I bought the 7D in november and love it. It is a beast though and the likelihood at the start at least, is that you'll be scratching your head wondering why x, y or z didnt work out..... only to discover later that there was a setting in there for what you wanted. If you're happy enough to put in that bit of time for some very good results then go for it.

I have left the iso on auto but limited to 3200 and haven't noticed noise. That's a real bonus, along with being fast on the focus too. Its a camera to keep long term once it suits your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

I have a 7D since my 400D was stolen last year and forced an upgrade. Its a great camera and unless you want to go full frame, it has everything you could need.
    I avoid higher ISO's by habit but was hoping the 7d would give me more options in this area for when you really need it. Any shots above 200 ISO still need help if your fussy - but lightroom does the job very well.
    My only gripe is the size - my hands pitted perfectly on the old 400d and I still feel a bit clumsy with the 7D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

+1 on kerso - get in touch with him directly for 'off-eBay' prices. Found him very easy to deal with. Bought a lens from him too.

As for the wireless flash, haven't used it yet, but heading along to the flash course tonight with the Dublin Photo Inst., hoping to do more in that area soon.

Hey all,

Contacted Kerso a few minutes ago, so look forward to seeing what he says. Will also keep my eyes peeled on adverts and eBay (I'm in no mad rush to buy the camera).

Though I do want a warranty, so buying new seems the way to go, which makes me ask, what way does Kerso/warranties work? He's in scotland, and I'm not, so... Does the warranty go worldwide with Canon or if I have any issues, do I need to get it to a Scottish Canon dealer or what happens there?

Also, I was wondering, to anyone that's been out and about with a 7D, could anyone who has one, post an unedited, full size shot, that has a high ISO being used?

I plan to use it at gigs and such, so this is important to me, and I can find multiple graphs and stuff on Google, but any ISO tests seem to just have 100% crops, which are posted quite small, so it's hard to make a proper opinion (though of course, they do help all the same).

Though I do want a warranty, so buying new seems the way to go, which makes me ask, what way does Kerso/warranties work?

US warranty. He imports his gear from the US. Any faults would mean you have to ship it back to him, and he ships to the US.

You should try contacting Gunns for a price.

I could be wrong here (someone correct me if I am) but he issues a UK receipt which qualifies the product for a Canon worldwide warranty so it wouldn't need to be shipped back to the US. Certainly it works that way for the lenses.

Edit:
    I stand corrected....
    All lenses have Canon International warranties. Bodies have USA warranties valid in UK with invoice provided.

Still not sure that this means shipping back to the US but I'm sure he'll clarify for you

No word from Kerso, but I just rang Gunns and they said;

7D w/ lens = €2,137
    7D Body only = €1,490

Harvey Norman (.ie) has;

7D w/ lens = €1,849
    7D Body only = €1,599

Have to admit, I'm surprised at Harvey's even carrying the camera, never mind beating someone else's price!

Pixmania, whom I probably wouldn't deal with anyway, due to the horror stories, have;

7D w/ lens = €1,599
    7D Body only = €1,355

I have no number for Conns, but assuming there aren't a load of camera shops with the same name in Dublin, I'll take it that ConnsCameras.ie is their site, which has;

7D w/ lens = €1,799
    7D Body only = €1,499

From what I know, all the lenses are the same; the 18-135 IS. However, I do think I must have heard wrong from Gunns, as the price jumped up too much for it to be that lens. Either that, or they price the lens extortionately.

Hmm. The noise does still seem a bit 20D-ish there. The first photo looks a little blurred to me or something. Was there movement or such? (I can't view the exif links for some reason, even though I'm signed in to Pix).

One of my biggest gripes with the 20D was that when I had to shoot 1600 ISO, the noise could sometimes become an issue so much so that it made focused shots look very soft. This was about the time I heard the 7Ds noise handling was great. Although it doesn't really seem too bad I suppose, in the above shots. I think I'm being thrown by that train image though. I'm not sure if there's motion blur or if the ISO is not as good as I'd hoped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've no info on the quality of the 7D for you but since this thread seems to be as much about price now I'd advise having a look at German prices before you jump. Personally I've dealt several time with computeruniverse and have nothing but praise for them, you'll have genuine EU stock and warranty so no worries there.

Another thing to consider is that several of the camera sites I've seen suggest that prices ex manufacturer could rise 7-14% soon, whether they can make that stick I don't know, or even if it's true.

Be careful with comparisons when including the lens as there are two different lens options available. Just want to point out that kerso does not sell kits I.e. He sells a lens and a camera together but not the combined package (sorry if I'm not being clear here) that gives better flexibility. I wouldn't worry about warranty too much there are stories all over the web where he has sorted issues out promptly and fairly.
    I'm not connected to him in any way just a happy customer based on price and service.

Reading is is making me think about giving mine more use, time for a photo trip out with the kids I think.

C
    No word from Kerso, but I just rang Gunns and they said;

7D w/ lens = €2,137
    7D Body only = €1,490

Harvey Norman (.ie) has;

7D w/ lens = €1,849
    7D Body only = €1,599

Have to admit, I'm surprised at Harvey's even carrying the camera, never mind beating someone else's price!

Pixmania, whom I probably wouldn't deal with anyway, due to the horror stories, have;

7D w/ lens = €1,599
    7D Body only = €1,355

I have no number for Conns, but assuming there aren't a load of camera shops with the same name in Dublin, I'll take it that ConnsCameras.ie is their site, which has;

7D w/ lens = €1,799
    7D Body only = €1,499

From what I know, all the lenses are the same; the 18-135 IS. However, I do think I must have heard wrong from Gunns, as the price jumped up too much for it to be that lens. Either that, or they price the lens extortionately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Simply Electronics get a lot of bad press, but I have bought many things from them and the only complaint I would have is their slowness to ship:

7D Body only: €1,149.95
    7D with 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Kit: €1,729.95
    7D with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit: €1,399.95
    7D with 18-135mm Kit w/ Canon Speedlite 580EX II and 5-in-1 Cleaning Kit: €1,783.86

and shipping is free

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/subcat.php?cid=1&sid=3

• Advertisement

Hmm. The noise does still seem a bit 20D-ish there. The first photo looks a little blurred to me or something.

I think you're comparing ISO 3200 on the 7D with ISO 1600 on the 20D.

If you compare ISO1600 on both, with the same settings in a shot, I think you'll find the 7D far superior.

You can always go here or here and read the customer reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I was looking into getting one recently too, but how does it compare to the 5D MK II in Price and quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

7D was a great buy BEFORE 550D/60D came out.

You will be paying around 400/500 euro more for:

Weather proof/metal camera body
    1080i HDMI out for external monitoring
    Dual processor for higher pics per second in burst mode.

If these are not anything you'll require there is no need to buy a 7D over 550D or 60D. They have same megapixel and sensor size. My 550D with kit lens was 850 euro, spend the remaining money on lenses etc.

5DMk2 is 21 megapix full frame and can do video, where 1D, 7D etc, etc are cropped sensors.

I asked Kerso about warranties and he said;

"Canon will honour warranties in EU with UK invoice provided. I will back any item for 1 year".

He provides a UK invoice, so I think that means it's all fairly well and good and above board.

Very much so - no worries about duty either as he ships from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Digital rev are doing it body only for €1,197.90

I know they ship from a warehouse in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

swingking wrote: »
    Digital rev are doing it body only for €1,197.90

I know they ship from a warehouse in the UK

Kerso quoted me £999 stg plus £20 courier about 2 weeks ago. Includes a 4GB CF card. £999 + £20 = ~ €1220 so about €13 in it

Simplyelectronics.net have the 7D for €1,149.95 with free delivery

Dixons duty free @ Dublin airport quoted me €1333 10 days ago as well but the their price fluctuates all the time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

7D was a great buy BEFORE 550D/60D came out.

You will be paying around 400/500 euro more for:

Weather proof/metal camera body
    1080i HDMI out for external monitoring
    Dual processor for higher pics per second in burst mode.

If these are not anything you'll require there is no need to buy a 7D over 550D or 60D. They have same megapixel and sensor size. My 550D with kit lens was 850 euro, spend the remaining money on lenses etc.

5DMk2 is 21 megapix full frame and can do video, where 1D, 7D etc, etc are cropped sensors.

The 7D also has a far superior viewfinder compared to the 550D and the 60D. The latter cameras have a penta-mirror setup while the 7D has a much larger 100% coverage penta-mirror system (much like that in the 5D mkII). The viewfinder also incorporates a transmissive LCD so draw the AF points in the viewfinder which is great since you can compose with a large bright clutter free view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just so you Canon heads know, there's a brand new [at least stated as] 5Dmk II on adverts for €1800! If I had the money myself I'd be in like a shot.

7D looks like a fine camera, but not great enough to make me want to switch, a 5D mk II however ...

• Advertisement

Ian Kerr is selling them new on ebay for that price also.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-EOS-5D-MK-II-BODY-IN-SCOTLAND-/140500981707?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item20b682d7cb

1,499.00 GBP = 1,769.01 EUR

He can even shave a bit off when you buy direct from him.

5uspect wrote: »
    Ian Kerr is selling them new on ebay for that price also.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-EOS-5D-MK-II-BODY-IN-SCOTLAND-/140500981707?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item20b682d7cb

1,499.00 GBP = 1,769.01 EUR

He can even shave a bit off when you buy direct from him.

*cough*
    Kerso quoted me £999 stg plus £20 courier about 2 weeks ago. Includes a 4GB CF card. £999 + £20 = ~ €1220 so about €13 in it

Simplyelectronics.net have the 7D for €1,149.95 with free delivery

Dixons duty free @ Dublin airport quoted me €1333 10 days ago as well but the their price fluctuates all the time

Looked like you were quoted on a 7D kev, not 5D MK II?

Looked like you were quoted on a 7D kev, not 5D MK II?

:o oops, I took that kerso eBay link to be a 7D & not a 5dmkII
    Yeah it's 7D I'm pricing at min

Thought that was a bit cheap alright! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

The 7D represents the best value for money I've ever got from a DSLR.
    Checkout the stuff on my pix.ie stream from the link below.
    It's a superb camera & probably the closest thing you can get to a full pro body.

• Advertisement

*cough*

Sorry I should have quoted cagey.

I bought my beloved 7D with a 24-70L from Ian last year when the exchange rate was a bit better for £1099 and £895 respectively so £999 is an excellent price. He's also an excellent seller so I can't recommend him highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Bought my 60D second hand for 750 in new out-of-box perfect condition. None of the box contents unwrapped, a 16gb class 10 sandisk for 60euro and im buying a new sigma 1.4 50mm. Picture quality between the 60D and 70D is exactly the same. And its half the price. I dont get why anyone other than a sports or nature photographer would have a gripe about the slightly lower burst speed. 5.3fps is still enough for me. For shooting movies you cant go wrong with the rotational screen. The 60D's features dont make it any more a hobbiest camera than the heavier body and hefty price tag of the 7D make it a professional camera. Image quality matters most in a lot of ways but I think you'd be silly to go for the 7D over the 60D unless you have $$$ to burn!

Do some more research, 7D fanboys are likely to say how much better it is as 60D fanboys will argue the opposite, but the reviews speak for themselves. Digitalrev have a comprehensive enough review here. Buy the 60D body and with all the money you save you can buy an L lens because the glass is what counts between these two and not much else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bought my 60D second hand for 750 in shop perfect condition. None of the box contents unwrapped, a 16gb class 10 sandisk for 60euro and im buying a new sigma 1.4 50mm. Picture quality between the 60D and 70D is exactly the same. And its half the price. I dont get why anyone other than a sports or nature photographer would have a gripe about the slightly lower burst speed. 5.3fps is still enough for me. For shooting movies you cant go wrong with the rotational screen. The 60D's features dont make it any more a hobbiest camera than the heavier body and hefty price tag of the 7D make it a professional camera. Image quality matters most in a lot of ways but I think you'd be silly to go for the 7D over the 60D unless you have $$$ to burn!

Do some more research, 7D fanboys are likely to say how much better it is as 60D fanboys will argue the opposite, but the reviews speak for themselves. Digitalrev have a comprehensive enough review here. Buy the 60D body and with all the money you save you can buy an L lens because the glass is what counts between these two and not much else!

What shop was that?

Adverts! hahaha, seriously though you need to shop around and save yourself some cash, your spending a lot of money! go try out both in a shop like berminghams their sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Adverts! hahaha, seriously though you need to shop around and save yourself some cash, your spending a lot of money! go try out both in a shop like berminghams their sound!

Apologies,
    I read
    Bought my 60D second hand for 750 in shop perfect condition.
    As
    Bought my 60D second hand for 750 in shop, perfect condition.

• Advertisement

whoopsy! sorry I have no idea why I wrote it like that! :( sorry! edited for shameful cerebral fart!

theres a canon 550 over on adverts now and i think hes gonna let it go for 550. he didnt even open it someone won it on a game show!!! get over and make an offer!! Again the image quality is suipposed to be shamefully close to the 7D as they all have the same sensor! Its very cheap and a great upgrade to what you have right now! and again, you can burn up some cash on some serious glass!

I just spotted that, I have a quick browse on there daily.

Sounds like a great deal for anyone with Canon lenses already. Seller wants €700 but since it was a prize, I think you could break them well down. Someone almost has it at 525. €550 and collection would seal it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Slightly off topic, but are Nikon F series lenses compatible with the 7D?

Also, what is the general feedback with filming with a 7D-how much video can you shoot at a time, is the sound acceptable, does it hold up well in low light conditions etc?

I'm thinking of binning my trusty Nikon D70 for a Canon 7D, all feedback welcome.

Hmmm. Now I'm tempted to get the 5D mkII, depending on price, and a little saving. Just means I can sell my 40D and 400D. That and a few lenses should nearly fund half the price.

You'll need an adaptor to mount Nikon glass and the extension won't help since you'll lose infinity focusing. There will be no electronic communication either for autofocus etc.
    There are lots on 7D videos on Vimeo and we're seeing some great stuff from the 5D mkII and 7D popping up, (An episode of House was filimed on a 5D mkII recently)

CF cards re formatted in FAT so the largest video clip you'll get is 4GB or about 12 minutes of 1080p @ 24p. Sound is alright, but importantly you can plug in an external mic.

I've found that I can push the ISO quite high when I use camera RAW 6 in CS5 to clean things up. ISO 1600 is quite usable and 2000 to 3200 is okay but got great. 6400+ is handy to have as an option but don't expect anything to look sharp after you've cleaned it up. There are some good comparisons to other bodies on the dpreview indepth review of the 7D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'd prostitute myself for a 7D! :) Drool, drool...

So... if I'm reading this thread properly, I'd be just as good with a 60D, 550D or 7D?

I don't know. To be honest, what had me leaning to the 7D mostly, was it's good ISO handling and improved auto-focus. All the cameras that are being mentioned here seem to have video in common. I'm fearful the other cameras may be ****e at taking the photos I want to take, but are just being recommended because they have that common bond (video) with the 7D, but are cheaper?

So... if I'm reading this thread properly, I'd be just as good with a 60D, 550D or 7D?

There isn't one Sh##e camera listed above as far as I know they all have the same sensor. Its the bells and whistles that you pay extra for.

C

Cionn wrote: »
    There isn't one Sh##e camera listed above as far as I know they all have the same sensor. Its the bells and whistles that you pay extra for.

C

Are autofocus and iso ability considered bells and whistles though.

I'd be happy to shoot with a cornflakes box, if it was fast and accurate at focusing, and handled it's ISO well.

20D is just being a little clumsy these days. The lens' focus couldn't turn any slower and ISO at high numbers makes images too soft.

For bright stuff, daylight or such, with plenty of time, the 20D is fantastic. But it's limited in other areas that I need it to work in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement