Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riding in the wind

• 18-01-2011 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Did the Nenagh bypass many times, you'd know it between Dublin and Limerick.
    For sure there are signs on crosswinds (I forget exactly what the signs show) and they don't lie.

I've been on that road during high winds and it was damn scary, to me anyway.

So anyway, any tips for biking in high winds? I saw this thread in another motor forum so thought to start it here
    Watching for gaps in hedges and watching if someone overtakes you are obvious ones. I've been on the M50 and had lorries overtake me and you'd get buffeted by wind. That was 100cc scooter then, I've a motorcycle these days

Anyone else with experiences? We had high winds over last weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Dont worry about it too much, Best advice is to keep as low as possible and put your weight towards the front of the bike and lean your body towards the wind.
    Leave more space around you for being blown off course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Agreed... reduce speed and lean forward/towards the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If the wind is coming from the RHS and you're being blown to the left, stick out your right knee, should help counteract it a bit at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i find when that happens i leaves the bike in third and just below the power band so when i gets blown off course i get on the power and i get the stability back,this mighten work for everyone but it works for me,,faired bikes are a fooker tho as ya can be like a sheet in the wind at times,absloutely hate round abouts and enterances to estates aswell when its blowing out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Along the same lines as honeybadger, if you stay in a lower gear than normal, with the revs up, the gyroscope effect of the engine helps keep stability,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I tend to grip the tank with my knees more than usual and also make a conscious effort to relax my arms and upper body.

If you tense up, the wind blowing your upper body will transfer to the bike and make you wobble that bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

ive a heavily faired bike and a windscreen.

i find that going fast helps.

keep your knee out to the direction the wind is coming from.
    dont filter.
    try sit alongside a truck and trailer to be protected from the wind.
    when overtaking a truck remember there will be a sudden gust as you pass the front of the truck.
    loosen your arms and shoulders, it helps.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

rameire wrote: »
    keep your knee out to the direction the wind is coming from.

If it helps you grand, but in principal its like trying to stop a hurricane by blowing into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If it helps you grand, but in principal its like trying to stop a hurricane by blowing into it.

No it acts as an air brake of sorts which pulls you to one side, thus counteracting the crosswind a little

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No it acts as an air brake of sorts which pulls you to one side, thus counteracting the crosswind a little

If your capable of sticking out your leg at the precise times the wind blows then great, otherwise you will have already corrected for it in your steering negating that effect.

• Advertisement

If your capable of sticking out your leg at the precise times the wind blows then great, otherwise you will have already corrected for it in your steering negating that effect.

Crosswinds are generally pretty consistent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

If the wind is a consistent cross-wind I just do exactly what I would do if I was trying to turn into it

ie: lean slightly into it, twist the bars/counter steer so the bike holds a straight line/ the position on the road I want it to

I suppose its like creating an equal and opposite force vector to the wind.

like the low gear gyroscopic effect idea but I was under the impression that the main gyroscopic effect that helps keep the bike stable is the spinning of the wheels so that would probably be another reason going faster (having these spinning faster) helps you maintain your course - at least that's how I justify it:D

obviously having a bit of grunt at your disposal in low gear helps as well though

I have light magnesium rims on mine though so reduced gyroscopic effect means I have to go even faster:D:D

when I first encountered this I remembered being shocked as all hell when the bike was blown nearly 2 foot off the line I thought I had chosen.

sudden unexpected gusts....me no likey!...mind the gap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Crosswinds are generally pretty consistent...
    true, but trees, hedges, gateways, bridges, onramps, high sided vehicles, etc. all hamper the consistency of the wind.
    Also, the higher the wind speed the greater the variance in gust speed.

I tend to counter steer and lean watching for said wind breaks and turbulence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Main thing is to go slower than normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I have had to hang off to 1 side of my bike many times, while keeping it lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some nasty gusts today. Had to keep both feet on the ground at lights. Felt sorry for the cyclists having to cycle into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

chalk it down ,,today was ruff out,,i cant even rember when it last so bad,,at 2 points today i had to drive in the hard shoulder at 30mph even less just to get the cover from the hedge row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Mad stuff today out there, blown across to the other side of the road at least twice on the way home at that was at slow speeds, thenak god nothing was coming the other way:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Yep,was some experience riding home yesterday evening alright:eek::eek::eek:
    Looking no better this morning-im taking the car:(

Was pretty rough out there alright.

• Advertisement

Was out yesterday and just back now. Its bad, but not bad enough you can't ride. Watched a lad on a zzr400 get thrown around by the wind. Chap needs to sort out his gear, he looked like a giant sail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lean into the bike, stay on the power. If your riding an off road bike be extra vigilant for gusts, esp. on those trail bikes with +19 inch front wheels - they're whores for catching a gust.

Cross winds are rarely consistant, watch out for gusts between buildings, overtaking other high sided vehicles and accelerating away from lights has your front wheel goes light.

Its been said a few times, keep on the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Twas windy indeed. But one good thing, Air braking :)

Went from 100kph down to 60kph in like 2-3 seconds just by sticking my chest square into the wind lol :) 'whislt easing off the power'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the principle is tried and tested by experianced riders

Tigger wrote: »
    the principle is tried and tested by experianced riders

Right I'm sick of this. Homoeopathy is tried and tested by experienced doctors in the UK. Its still bull****.

If you put your leg out you will have corrected for it in your steering.

Wind gusts, it is not a constant. Especially when you are driving through and around wind tunnels and past obstacles.

Putting your leg out will not have reduced your side on drag coefficient to stop you being blown about. It will only increase it and make the problem worse.

You want to stop being blown around, wear wind resistant tight fitting gear. It will have more effect than any stupid remedy that holds no basis in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Stay low, keep her lit and don't grip the grips too tight. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Riding in a Crosswind

There are two great tips for riding in a constant or gusty crosswind:

The first method works best in a constant crosswind as well as some gusts if you're riding under 70MPH. This is known as the "knee into the wind" trick. You stick your knee out on the upwind side to act as a scoop sail that pulls both you and your bike back against the wind. Now, if this is a wind of longer duration then this method would get tiresome after some time. Also if it's raining and cold, then this would be the quickest way to cool down your lap. But, since wind can pose a big threat to your safety, it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons to make sure that you make it through with your life and your lap entact.

http://www.ruggedrider.com/tips.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RedSetter2

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If the wind is coming from the RHS and you're being blown to the left, stick out your right knee, should help counteract it a bit at least.
    Have tried this, seem s to work thought don't know why???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The leg you stick out creates more drag on that side of the bike, slowing it down. This counteracts the force of you being pushed off course by the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Three things to do really!

Put as much weight as you can on the footpegs and grip the tank with your knees.

Learn to countersteer.

Drive in such a manner that you are in the powerband of the engine so if you get blown you can use acceleration to pull you back on line.

Advertisement