Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns UPC wireless router?

• 18-01-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have equipment to give back to UPC. A TV 'box' and a wireless router. Im just wondering do I have to give back the router as I see on their site, where you sign up for broadband, it says 'FREE wireless router (applies to new Broadband customers only)' - so I take it you would have to pay for this router if you weren't a new customer.

Well then when they give you this router, for payment or for free, I take it they no longer own it like they do with the TV box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Depends on the router. If it's the combined modem/router (EPC2425) then it remains UPC's property. It's useless to you anyway. If you got a separate modem and router, then I believe the router is yours.

When I signed up, I was given a Netgear router, and I understood that this was mine to keep, once the contract period expires. The modem remains theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

free in this case means you didn't pay for it at installation. regardless its still their property you merely lease it until the contract expires so you gotta return it.
    sure wireless routers are a dime a dozen these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jor el wrote: »
    Depends on the router. If it's the combined modem/router (EPC2425) then it remains UPC's property. It's useless to you anyway. If you got a separate modem and router, then I believe the router is yours.

When I signed up, I was given a Netgear router, and I understood that this was mine to keep, once the contract period expires. The modem remains theirs.
    ^ what he said. :)

if it's got a modem in it, it belongs to UPC but if it's just a router with a separate modem, it's all yours.

Advertisement