Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford, Cork ITs aim for university status

• 18-01-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

A number of colleges in the south of the country are having talks about possible mergers and submissions on university status to Government in the future.

The Institute of Technologies in Waterford and Cork have been in talks about possibly combining forces to look for University of Technology status.
    Last week a major strategy document on Higher Education was published.
    In light of the Hunt Report, the President and chairperson of WIT have revealed they were in talks with CIT and a number of other colleges over the past while with a view to jointly applying for university status.

What it would mean in effect would be the merger of CIT and WIT and the new entity, whenever it is formed, then applying for university status as it would have a certain 'critical mass' of student numbers and far greater research funding potential.

WIT management says the southeast will therefore get a university at some stage in the future, but the most likely route to that would be a technological university involving Cork.
    There are currently 6,000 full-time students at WIT and 3,000 part-time students; CIT has 6,000 full-time and 6,000 part-time students.
    WIT has been campaigning for a university for the southeast for the past decade and says it is a very positive development to be in discussions with Cork.

Legislation governing technological universities has not yet been drawn up and it will be up to the in-coming government to do so, says WIT management.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0117/it_colleges.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CIT have been trying this for a while and keep getting rebuffed due to UCC being there. WIT would have the best bet in my opinion, but if UCC and CIT could arrange something between themselves, that's the only way I see it happening imo.

Would like to see CIT move up in the world, but until they actually have proper lecture rooms instead of prefabs, construction site offices and wobbly-floored Blocks then I don't see them getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Would like to see CIT move up in the world, but until they actually have proper lecture rooms instead of prefabs, construction site offices and wobbly-floored Blocks then I don't see them getting it
    I was about to make the same point.
    What is the adavtage in an upgrade to University status anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I was about to make the same point.
    What is the adavtage in an upgrade to University status anyway?
    That's true but then universities get more funding I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

also makes it a lot easier to get international students in that will pay big money to come study here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

good luck to them i say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

DIT has also applied for the same thing. In my opinion DIT deserves it more than CIT or WIT. However if it is true that unis get more funding maybe this should be changed as DIT, CIT and WIT are all as good as any uni. i don't have an issue with the IT status, just the lack of funding.

Advertisement