Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are people on Eircom putting up with internet cencorship?

• 18-01-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

So I just realised that people on Eircom are not able to access Pirate Bay. Is that not internet censorship? They must be losing customers over this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

WilburWild wrote: »
    So I just realised that people on Eircom are not able to access Pirate Bay. Is that not internet censorship? They must be losing customers over this?

One word. Proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 WilburWild

McLoughlin wrote: »
    One word. Proxy.

Any proxys I've tried don't work or cost money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

use a free vpn, such as ultravpn. a French company,your ip is an ovh server.

although tbh, being blocked from the pirate bay is a good thing. its a ****hole riddled with content that's binded with viri and trojans, and big film and music company's monitor it every day like a hawk.

as much as i absolutely despise eircom, its probably about the only good thing they have ever done for the people of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's not censorship.

Believe it or not, there is obligation for any ISP to provide you with universal access to the Internet. This has been the subject of some debate and legislation in the USA (net neutrality).

In theory though unlikely, an ISP could do a deal with a music site and this would be the only music site you could access. Not likely to happen but nothing to stop them. In other countries, ISPs have to block certain sites by Government order. These are mainly undesirable sites that most people won't miss but happens all the same.

Advertisement