Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ennis turning into a ghost town?

• 18-01-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I posted previously about hearing about Kearneys closing down, and Ive heard since that these have gone too:

The Craftbox
    Bambinos
    Petit Pois
    Frozen Francies
    The Chocolat Shop

Its all such a shame, I love our town, what is to become of it!!!!!

All these poor people having to close their shops......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Its just not Ennis, all around Clare shops, bars etc looking bleak.

O'Connell St looks more depressing everytime I walk around. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

I'm from Ennis but I live in Dublin. Every time I go home I'm shocked at the amount of shops that have closed down. It's very sad, Ennis used to be brilliant for shopping because of all the small independent shops. Now it seems the only places that are surviving the recession are the chains like Boots etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Smur wrote: »
    I'm from Ennis but I live in Dublin. Every time I go home I'm shocked at the amount of shops that have closed down. It's very sad, Ennis used to be brilliant for shopping because of all the small independent shops. Now it seems the only places that are surviving the recession are the chains like Boots etc.
    It is so sad to see so many businesses in Ennis closing down but I believe that council are doing little or nothing to assist them. Rates are ridiculously high and the parking situation is a nightmare. The same is happening in Limerick city, people are shopping in large retail parks so they don't have to worry about parking fees etc. I also reckon that more and more people are shopping for bargains online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

At least you don't live in Limerick folks, the place is downright depressing at times.

Ennis doesn't have the same problem, in that it's not expanded so much that the doughnut effect hasn't taken hold, like with the Crescent et al in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

A view that I've heard a lot in Ennis over the years from business people is about the exorbitant rent thats charged.

Wages, Social welfare and minimum wage have all been cut but nothing has been done to reduce costs.

I agree that the council need to reduce rates but likewise the cost of rent should be reduced also. There's a monopoly in this town that would rather see buildings empty than reduce the rent and it's destroying our town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pubs have gotten shockingly empty recently in particular. Except Patricks which always seems to be mobbed. Whatever they're doing is working. Find it too packed myself which is a good thing for them I suppose.

Limericks been messed up for years. So glad there isn't a big out of town shopping center in Ennis those really destroy things. They don't even have a cinema in town which kills things instantly. Shopping + cinema is what I do on a day out anyway.

Parking situation has improved since the boom times in that you can at least find a space. 2003 to 2008 or so it was impossible. If I'm going to be in for more than an hour or two I just park outside the pay parking zone. They should move that zone back closer to town or something. Back in the day everybody just dumped their cars nearby and walked the last bit. Or my dad did anyway.

I think the independents that really do well in Clare own their own property. Rents/rates are supposedly crazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't really agree about the parking, people dumping their car made local housing estates a nightmare and also led to clampers having a field day, the multistory is very rarely full, if you want to park, there's a space in there.

In regards to places closing, I think it's a combination of a lot of different factors, from banks no longer giving credit to small businesses, to not having a valid business model, to having too many competitors to people retiring and selling their business.

I personally think that the rates issue in town is a big issue, they are way too high, the town council should be encouraging businesses to open rather than trying to milk them dry, I remember hearing Moran's had over 10k in rates a year because of all the shop frontage they had (both on O'Connell St. and into the car park).

If I was put in charge of the town I would make it that all property owners had a responsibility for the appearance of their premises, if their property was empty then they would have to put up posters given to them by the town council. I'm thinking of some nice tourism posters that could be put in windows, not the circus is in town posters, also, premises like the 1 between The Diamond and Morans would need to be renovated.
    Also, if Dunnes can refund people their parking fees, why can't everywhere else? I would allow businesses to refund people's parking (up to 2 hours) and be able to claim the costs back off their rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Some great suggestions there Clareman, ones that could be used by every town in the country IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Like one of the other posters I'm from Ennis but living in Dublin. I love Ennis but certain aspects of it drive me mad and the one I can never understand is the reluctance to make the centre pedestrian only. The traders moan and groan each time it is suggested but if there was ever a town suited to pedestrianisation it's Ennis. Every time I go home Abbey Street and O'Connell Street are choc-a-bloc with traffic and you can barely cross the road.

I really believe if given a chance it would benefit everyone and make Ennis a great place to relax and shop in. I've seen it work in Dublin and loads of other towns and cities so why not Ennis?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I might as well go for my other 2 ideas for the town, never know you all might make me Lord of Ennis :D

Pedestrianize Abbey Street from past the Queen's, also pedestrianize O'Connell Street up as far as the Cathedral. You can still have the loop through the market and car parks, should also also amble access to deliveries for all businesses.

Move the market into Moran's car park. Put up permanent stand frames around the walls as well as in the middle, put canopies up as well to protect from rain. This will free up the market for a load of parking spaces which are a lot more accessible that Moran's car park.

Oh yeah (I know a third), run an "Ennis has Talent" show to pay for the renovations/pedestrianization of the town where local musician's audition for busking sports around the town, where the person/people who get the most votes get the best busking spots to help them earn money. Not only would this pay for the costs, but it would also setup busking around the town which will create a great atmosphere around the place, this could be ran yearly to renew the positions and create a bit of a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Rents and rates are way out of line with what should be charged.

I have a mate who runs a small shop in town - pays over €1200 a month for the smallest possible space. I don't want to name names or anything, but I myself shopped around about six months ago for retail space in town and found that even €1200 was quite a deal.

You know that new candy shop at the top of Parnell Street? I looked at that space and it was €1300 a month. That before you include bins, ESB, alarm company, insurance, and rates. A small shop like the one there pays over €2000 a month in basic fees, then has to tack on another few hundred for rates.

And there is no relief coming. The CCC just voted to keep them high through 2012 -

http://www.clarecourier.ie/article.asp?id=2353

@Clareman -

I agree fully with the idea to pedestrianise the town centre. I think during Christmas it is brilliant to be able to walk the streets without having to feel cramped into a small lane way. It is quite a task pushing a buggy up those streets during peak hours.

Whats sad is the local merchants last summer voted to stop pedestrianisation as they claimed it somehow hurt business. Anyone else remember that? They tried it for three weekends and businesses raised hell saying it was killing business. How I don't know because the street only holds like 10 cars, so I don't see how that really stops people from shopping.

I brought the family up town both times and did a bit of shopping just to show support, as did many others. Maybe this mass closure of local businesses will (sadly) prove it had nothing to do with the parking and everything to do with the economy. If business owners are so ignorant they didn't see that before then maybe its a good thing they will be out of business - at least the rent and rates might drop and then a business with a bit more cop on will move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the shops aren't doing themselves very many favours by not opening up until 10 am in the mornings and even later on weekends. on the last saturday before Christmas I went into town at 9 in the morning and nowhere except the 2 euro shop was open. I only had an hour to do the shopping before other committments took over and I couldn't spend a penny (except to the council for the priviledge of parking my car in an empty car park)

If you own your own business you should be prepared to go in and work behind the counter yourself. You should be opening at 9 in the morning to be ready for the first customers of the day.

How many of the small business owners in Ennis actually work in their own shops serving customers? I'd say about 50%

It seems like the attitude is that they want to get paid for taking the risk of opening a business and want others to do the actual work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I've no problem paying for parking as long as its reasonable. However if I want to just fly into town I have to pay for 1 hours parking which I just won't do.

Basically until they eliminate the minimum charge in their parking meters I will avoid town like the plague. Why should it cost 1.20 just to go into town for 5 mins if you only have 1 thing to do?

If you could put in 20 cents for 10 mins I'd be back in town on a regular basis.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I've no problem paying for parking as long as its reasonable. However if I want to just fly into town I have to pay for 1 hours parking which I just won't do.

Basically until they eliminate the minimum charge in their parking meters I will avoid town like the plague. Why should it cost 1.20 just to go into town for 5 mins if you only have 1 thing to do?

If you could put in 20 cents for 10 mins I'd be back in town on a regular basis.
    Am, you can do that :) I was in town yesterday and paid 50c for ~25 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I like the busking comp idea, and we need a good idea to get tourists to come etc.

The Gospel festival last year was a great success and brought good revenue to the town, also the Ennis Book Festival, we need more of these type weekend festivals.

I know we cant do the rolling the cheese down a hill or The World Conker Championship but surely we can come up with a few ideas!!!!

I totally agree we should pedestrianise!

Clareman wrote: »
    Am, you can do that :) I was in town yesterday and paid 50c for ~25 minutes

Whereabouts?

Last time I was in lower abbey street it wouldn't accept 50c. Only talking 6 weeks ago max? Same up by the Holy family.

In the market across from Patrick's/Usual Place. You put in your money and it tells you how long you've paid until, just press print when you've enough time up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

golfball37 wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

Last time I was in lower abbey street it wouldn't accept 50c. Only talking 6 weeks ago max? Same up by the Holy family.

M12 washer :cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The feeling I get from a few musicians I know is that they aren't mad keen on busking in a place where people know them. Gets looked down on by a lot of people. Notice most of the buskers in Ennis are out of towners here for a few months or non nationals. Competitions aren't going to be attended by the sort of people who'll be out there busking regularly. Busking should be kept informal even if it means we have to suffer the few messers who can't actually play music well and just brazen it out.

There was some sort of Ennis music/talent competition back in November. Can't remember what it was called off the top of my head. Stars something. It was on in the Old Ground Hotel.

I don't think pedestrianisation is necessary. I know a few people whose mobility isn't good (my dad, although it's largely laziness!) and they like to park close, grab the shopping and get back before the parking warden comes round (note: I'm pretty sure there are hardly any of them now compared to a few years back so it's not particularly risky). If you lose 10% of customers which I don't think is that unrealistic then that'd cripple the place. The roads were too crowded a few years ago but now they're fine. Business in town doesn't want it and I think their wishes should be respected. Pedestrianise on occasional days, leave it alone the rest of the time.

Relocating market to Morans carpark an interesting idea. It'd probably work better. That carpark just gets jammed up these days with people going to turn their cars around and get out of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Relocating the market to Morans carpark is a fantastic idea, how did no one think of this before??
    Its the perfect size for the market, make it more intimate like one of the Christmas markets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

It has been thought of before and was bounced around in the council offices years ago but nothing came of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

OMG i cant believe the chocolate shop is gone, i loved a treat from there once a month, but with 2 kids in tow and never free spaces it was kinda hard to get in sometimes as i dont live in ennis!!

Did you know the market is free to park in on saturdays? Put 1.20 in one saturday and the time on the ticket said 10 am i put money in at 10.20 so said it to traffic warden and he said twas free - didnt offer me a refund though!! it is not advertised at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

alibride wrote: »
    OMG i cant believe the chocolate shop is gone, i loved a treat from there once a month, but with 2 kids in tow and never free spaces it was kinda hard to get in sometimes as i dont live in ennis!!

Did you know the market is free to park in on saturdays? Put 1.20 in one saturday and the time on the ticket said 10 am i put money in at 10.20 so said it to traffic warden and he said twas free - didnt offer me a refund though!! it is not advertised at all
    it says Mon-Fri on the signs around that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

alibride wrote: »
    OMG Did you know the market is free to park in on saturdays? Put 1.20 in one saturday and the time on the ticket said 10 am i put money in at 10.20 so said it to traffic warden and he said twas free - didnt offer me a refund though!! it is not advertised at all

Get a motorbike - parking is then free all day everyday. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Did you know the market is free to park in on saturdays? Put 1.20 in one saturday and the time on the ticket said 10 am i put money in at 10.20 so said it to traffic warden and he said twas free - didnt offer me a refund though!! it is not advertised at all[/QUOTE]

Open to correction but I think you are not supposed to park there while the market is on Saturday...a warden told me this after I parked there...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

sorry didnt see the mon to thur sign:o
    anyway the warden said id could park once all the traders had arrived, and as it was 11am he said twas grand...

oh and would a motorbike or just a bike, but have 2kids and dont live in town......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Don_Corleone

The feeling I get from a few musicians I know is that they aren't mad keen on busking in a place where people know them. Gets looked down on by a lot of people. Notice most of the buskers in Ennis are out of towners here for a few months or non nationals. Competitions aren't going to be attended by the sort of people who'll be out there busking regularly. Busking should be kept informal even if it means we have to suffer the few messers who can't actually play music well and just brazen it out.

There was some sort of Ennis music/talent competition back in November. Can't remember what it was called off the top of my head. Stars something. It was on in the Old Ground Hotel.

I don't think pedestrianisation is necessary. I know a few people whose mobility isn't good (my dad, although it's largely laziness!) and they like to park close, grab the shopping and get back before the parking warden comes round (note: I'm pretty sure there are hardly any of them now compared to a few years back so it's not particularly risky). If you lose 10% of customers which I don't think is that unrealistic then that'd cripple the place. The roads were too crowded a few years ago but now they're fine. Business in town doesn't want it and I think their wishes should be respected. Pedestrianise on occasional days, leave it alone the rest of the time.

Relocating market to Morans carpark an interesting idea. It'd probably work better. That carpark just gets jammed up these days with people going to turn their cars around and get out of the market.

good idea about the market, and would agree with you on the pedestrianisation, its not needed except maybe at xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭banner gal

roxy records and euro 2 across from brogans (only closed today)shop gone in the last week... it will be a ghost town soon

The minimum parking charge is going up from 1.20 to 1.30 from this Monday. :mad:

Sometime I think the people in charge want to do harm to themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm not surprised to see a music shop closing as most people are buying their CDs, DVDs and games online these days or are buying from Tesco at discounted prices. It was impossible for these stores to compete really with that large multiple or online businesses.

However, I'm shocked that the €2 shop has closed down as it seemed to be doing well and in a recession people tend to flock to bargain/discount stores. It is very sad to walk through town at present, it is so lifeless. I agree with the previous poster, the council are not helping business owners by increasing parking charges.

Advertisement