Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ennis turning into a ghost town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Yes Buck65, a hearing test/hearing aid centre is definitely going into the old NIB building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Balagan wrote: »
    I think it's supposed to be a hearing-aid place.
    buck65 wrote: »
    What?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Yes Buck65, a hearing test/hearing aid centre is definitely going into the old NIB building.

I think you may have missed the joke MrsD :pac:

Carazy wrote: »
    I think you may have missed the joke MrsD :pac:
    Indeed I did Carazy ;) Thanks :)

I think I've gotten too used to be people saying "ha" when they can't hear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

We have come a long way from the mammy banging the saucepan behind her child shouting BAWH!

Seriously though is there that much money in deafness to sustain a prime location in Ennis? It's a subject I know nothing about (yet)

Ear aids are quite expensive, I think they start at about €1,000 but the government provide grants of up to €700. I reckon there is money to be made from them alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

The prices that Hidden Hearing quotes when they are doing home visits are as follows, they start at 3500 euro, then some in the 4000 euro bracket and the highest hearing aid costs you 5300 euro. My ears are still popping...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

The prices that Hidden Hearing quotes when they are doing home visits are as follows, they start at 3500 euro, then some in the 4000 euro bracket and the highest hearing aid costs you 5300 euro. My ears are still popping...

Come again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

tatoo wrote: »
    Come again

That's what they ask in dry cleaners, not hearing aid shops.

Personally I delighted that something is going in there that's not a €2 shop, 2 of the most promenent shops in town (McMahon's and Moran's) have those, nice to see another type of business open :)

Wow, I think I will just keep shouting at my parents for another while!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Firstly there is much to consider peoples available spending is now limited so if there parting with there hard earned cash its out of necessity or for a little luxury. The town does offer some good services, good restaurants, bars and retail stores (maybe a little more clothes shopping would be nice!) but you know it needs to seriously focus on generating sales by putting the focus on getting people back in towns and making popping into town a good experience rather then a necessity/chore.

I have a serious issue with paying for parking (but that's a rant for another day :) )

Pedestrianize the streets! I for one would spend more time and money if I could shop in comfort. I am sick of tripping over people and the streets, in my opinion some of the streets aren't family friendly. I'm sure families struggle to take there children out about leisurely instead of trying to take care of the constant threat of falling in front of cars or even loosing sight of them the streets are to small to cope with both.

Businesses are facing huge challenges particularly online shopping but you know we still love that little bit of luxury! If we need to pop into town for necessity we can at least make it into a good experience. Easy access less hassle etc I can only speak for myself here! But I love that unexpected purchase of something that I like, that I'll enjoy from friendly staff, in a clean, comfortable surroundings at my pace. Online can add value but sometimes its just nice to experience a little retail therapy.

I can only give you examples of what I like but I'm a big fan of book stores! So for me nothing better then picking up a random book and having a quick read to find yourself a few pages in oblivious to your surroundings but its the retailer that generates a sale out of me! By putting me in a situation where I'm comfortable and happy and no doubt more inclined to spend money!

I'm single, 30 and for me I'd love to see a little more atmosphere generated, street entertainment and get rid of those cars. I want to be able to spend time in town at a leisurely pace rather then that rushed feeling I get strolling the streets. I love nothing better then to sit down with a good cup of coffee and watch the world go by! (I'm a tad bit of a dreamer) I cannot find that experience anywhere in Ennis there some really good coffee stores but no personality, no atmosphere and its such a shame!

Ennis has some serious opportunities, with easy access just off the motorway, everything is within reasonable walking distance around the town, there are some really good services available and the people are naturally friendly if town councils, business owners should choose to succeed and if they don't try shame on them! The key for this town is to focus on the atmosphere and getting people onto the streets again.

I think the real focus going forward is strip away that rushed feel to it and make it into a social hub where people freely make it a stopping destination if only to meet friends or go for a few drinks this in itself will generate extra sales. Purpose built shopping centers are eye sores, loud and purely set up for convenience that is fine but for me and I'm sure many others serve only one thing a purpose.

• Advertisement

Ennis Chamber are still against pedestrianisation in my opioion.
    (If someone can link the full article when it's on the Champion website that'd be great) In today's Clare Champion (Nov,8 2012.Page 22);

''According to a report by town clerk Leonard Cleary, Ennis Chamber wanted to have pedestrianisation on just one Saturday but it will in fact take place on two, December 15 and 22''
    ''Ennis Town Council advertised its proposal to temporarily close Abbey Street, O'Connell Street and O'Connell Square from 12 noon to 6pm on December 15,22,23 and 24,2012. The purpose of the pedestrianisation of these streets on these dates specified is to facilitate shoppers and the general public in terms of ease of movement on days that traditionally would be busy in town''

''submissions recieved were reviewed. These included one submission from Ennis Chamber, representing the business community. This submission supported the Christmas pedestrianisation but they would prefer one Saturday of pedestrianisation only. Ennis Chamber endorsed the decision at the October council meeting to adjust the pedestrianisation to O'Connell Street only.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Spent a few hours in Ennis yesterday, I haven't been there in ages and decided I would spend a few hours doing a bit of shopping, maybe a bite to eat. The whole experience was annoying. I found it claustrophobic, people bashing their way passed you on the tight streets, O'Connell, Abbey and Parnell. I left after an hour as I just couldn't be bothered. Heaven knows it must be an ordeal on a Saturday and definitely not inviting for the older generation.

What struck me is that if these streets were pedestrianised the experience would have been more pleasant as the town itself is aesthetically sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Spiritual wrote: »
    Spent a few hours in Ennis yesterday, I haven't been there in ages and decided I would spend a few hours doing a bit of shopping, maybe a bite to eat. The whole experience was annoying. I found it claustrophobic, people bashing their way passed you on the tight streets, O'Connell, Abbey and Parnell. I left after an hour as I just couldn't be bothered. Heaven knows it must be an ordeal on a Saturday and definitely not inviting for the older generation.

What struck me is that if these streets were pedestrianised the experience would have been more pleasant as the town itself is aesthetically sound.

And there is the center point of the whole problem and they will never get it and it will never change.
    Seriously, the few gombeens who won't see sense should just be ignored and a letter sent out "Re: Pedestrianisation, we're doing this, so deal with it, if you have any objections, you may gladly keep them to yourself"
    Because sense, reason and logic so far haven't worked on those members of the flat earth society, so at some stage the right thing will just have to be done for the common good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There is no good reason not to pedestrianise O'Connell Street. Who drives through the town? Well, other than tourists who do not know to use Clon Road or Mill Road/Cornmarket. I drive around town daily and NEVER pass through town itself as traffic is mental. Bumper to bumper and people/kids jumping out in front of you the whole time.

The idea that the parking there matters is silly. What is it? Eight spots on O'Connell Street? Are those eight spots really that important? There are two multi-story car parks, one next to Dunnes and one in the Market which can more than handle an extra eight cars in a day. Also, parking in the car parks is 30% cheaper per hour.

The argument that people like to just hop out of their cars in front of the shops on O'Connell? Also silly. Think about it. Which shops are they just hopping out in front of? Gamestop? Hillbillies? The Sweets Shop? I don't see the elderly visiting any of those places and needing to be dropped of at the door. The only place they really would visit would be Dunnes and guess what? If they get dropped off on O'Connell it means they have to walk THREE TIMES as far as if they were dropped off at the door located in the carpark!

As far as other shops there could you not just drop someone off at the Euroworld shop as if you were coming up via Woodquays past the Enable Ireland shop? Next to the Height? Or coming from the other end of town just drop someone off at the Cathedral? If dropping people off in handy close places is a problem, it sure doesn't seem like it, if anything dropping people on O'Connell by driving down it makes things more complicated and involves more walking for the person involved.

It would seem the anti-pedestrian lobby defy logic and ignore the reality that exists here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Where I work were members of the Chamber of Commerce til this year when we didn't renew subscription.
    Total waste of money.
    Their attitiude to pedestrianisation is frankly absurd. But hey they keep it up and see the amount of vacant units and stores continue to rise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Another cash for gold place starting up about 50 yards from the other one in Salt House Lane. Don't know how they can all make money but there ya go

bDkbcl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

buck65 wrote: »
    Where I work were members of the Chamber of Commerce til this year when we didn't renew subscription.
    Total waste of money.
    Their attitiude to pedestrianisation is frankly absurd. But hey they keep it up and see the amount of vacant units and stores continue to rise!

I was in Galway city today and despite the persistent rain there was a great buzz in the pedestrianised streets and all the shops seemed to be doing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I have a bit of old unwanted
    Another cash for gold place starting up about 50 yards from the other one in Salt House Lane. Don't know how they can all make money but there ya go

bDkbcl.jpg

Do these places have any rules & regulations with regards to stuff that might be robbed? . Do you need receipts or proof of identity?. Just asking..as I know nothing about them. I have some unwanted bits & pieces, but would not want to exchange them in any shady places. Where's the best place to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

Go to a jeweller, better bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

poppyvally wrote: »
    I have a bit of old unwanted

Do these places have any rules & regulations with regards to stuff that might be robbed? . Do you need receipts or proof of identity?. Just asking..as I know nothing about them. I have some unwanted bits & pieces, but would not want to exchange them in any shady places. Where's the best place to go?

I would suggest a fair chunk of their business is buying stolen goods. But what they don't know etc...
    Alot of thieves these days are just looking for cash or jewellry. DVD players etc too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No comment on the legality or otherwise of their trading practices but that shopfront colour scheme is just criminal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

rip off joints.

I've lots of concerns about the lack of regulation in the whole 'Cash for Gold' industry. There was a Government report earlier this year which stated there was grounds for some controls but the Department of Justice felt that existing criminal law was adequate for dealing with the issue :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/govt-report-on-cash-for-gold-industry.html

Unfortunately, I know a few people that have had their homes broken into in recent times and thieves only took cash and jewellery, it is pretty disturbing.

I'd love to think that the only people using these stores were people who wanted to dispose of broken or unwanted jewellery but that's extremely unlikely :(

The other thing that depresses me is the thought of people having to sell treasured items of jewellery to make ends meet. All in all, I am not a fan of these establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

As a poster mentioned, go to a jewellers. Or go to a good antique shop. There's one on Abbey Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The new shop is a full cash converter (pawn shop). They will buy anything sure. Laptops, TVs, mobile phones, pretty much anything you can drag into their shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CptSternn wrote: »
    The new shop is a full cash converter (pawn shop). They will buy anything sure. Laptops, TVs, mobile phones, pretty much anything you can drag into their shop.
    These shops are bad news, guaranteed magnets for burglars, you trip over them in Cork City,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There were a few pawn shops in Ennis back in the 80's into the early 90's. Just went away in the boom.

I buy stuff in Cash Converters in Cork every now and again. They have decent-ish prices if you fancy picking up a 2nd hand console accessory or a TV box set or something. I'm more inclined to use adverts.ie or something like that nowadays because their markups can be a touch steep considering what they're probably giving the customer for trade ins.

The council should definitely stop these places from being such eyesores however. I can remember hearing about people redesigning their shop fronts and having to go back and forth with the council on 3 or 4 designs because they kept getting declined. If that's the case and something as ugly as that isn't a problem then their priorities are out of whack.

Closing today :(
    Sweets n Treats Turnpike

Todds Coffee House formerly JD's

• Advertisement

maiden wrote: »
    Closing today :(
    Sweets n Treats Turnpike
    What a shame :( I used to like going there occasionally for sweets, the staff were lovely and their treats were far cheaper than the sweet shop in O'Connell Street.

Advertisement