Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone R201-wireless broadband

Options
  • 18-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i have the vodafone r201 wireless broadband and i am currently using it on my laptop and it works ok. However i want to use this connection on my desktop (windows xp) i have a wireless adapter plugged in and it says it is connected and my connection is excellent. but when i go into internet explorer it says that i am still not connected to the internet. any idea how i could fix this problem please??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi i have the vodafone r201 wireless broadband and i am currently using it on my laptop and it works ok. However i want to use this connection on my desktop (windows xp) i have a wireless adapter plugged in and it says it is connected and my connection is excellent. but when i go into internet explorer it says that i am still not connected to the internet. any idea how i could fix this problem please??

Thanks in advance

Have you actually connected to the wireless netowrk by putting in the password etc on the pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

yes i have typed in the network key

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Is your wireless picking any ip address or is there a static ip address, can you ping anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

Could you open a CMD window (Command) and type in ipconfig /all.
    Post the results back here ...

santing wrote: »
    Could you open a CMD window (Command) and type in ipconfig /all.
    Post the results back here ...

it says 802.11 wireless lan card
    physical address 00-0D-09-40-35-ED
    DHCP ENABLED
    Autoconfiguration Enabled
    ip address 0.0.0.0
    subset mask 0.0.0.0
    Dchp server 255.255.255.255

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

it says 802.11 wireless lan card
    ip address 0.0.0.0
    subset mask 0.0.0.0
    Dchp server 255.255.255.255
    So it is not picking up an IP address. Looks like either not configured properly or a faulty card.

Im using a wireless network adapter.how would i configure it?

Have you ever used the pc before with any wireless or wired routers?

no was using dial up

It may be that there is a dial up connection set up as your default connection.

Go into internet explorer tools - internet options - connections

you may find a dial up connection there. If you are happy that you wont be using that connection again highlight it and remove it

Choose the option "never dial a connection" and now try and connect again with internet explorer.

Also in Control Panel check Network Connections and make sure there is no dial up connection set as the default connection.

If it is the defaul connection there will be a little tick on it. Right click on the connection to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I couldn't get any connection through mine until I changed the wireless security to wpa-psk. There is a firmware update may help on the uk business site but the lines are brokern so you need to search for it:

http://www.business.vodafone.com/util/SearchCMS.do?sortBy=relavance&criteria=r201+firmware

Just downloaded it would appear to be an an older version than what I have already.

thanks paddy worked a treat

Advertisement