Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month contract for no broadband coverage

Options
  • 18-01-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

A mate of mine signed a 12 month contract with a broadband supplier. They told him that he would have coverage where he was located, but when he got his laptop set up no coverage, not a bit.

Now he is being given the run around, being passed from one person to another.

Is there anything he can do or does he have to see out the contract.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its pretty straight forward to be honest if they can't provide the service they can't hold him to contract, are they advising your friend they can "fix" his issue or what?

So people can give you the best advice what provider is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its pretty straight forward to be honest if they can't provide the service they can't hold him to contract, are they advising your friend they can "fix" his issue or what?

So people can give you the best advice what provider is this?

Was not sure if I could name provider, it's 3.. They keep walking him through the setting on his laptop, but he brought it in to work and the Internet worked fine, when he us at home nothing, no coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's normally a 'cooling off' period. Not sure if it lasts 2 weeks or not.

Within this time you can cancel if you have a signal or not.

After that, you have to discuss it with your provider, but they must surely be able to be dropped if they aren't providing you with what you're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

My sister had this issue with Imagine (Irish Broadband) when she was living in Kinsealy.

I bought her a router in Carphone Warehouse in Pavillions for €70. Hooked it up to her PC, went through the install/sign-up process & only had 1 bar of coverage (out of a potential 5) which was intermittent - they tried to hold her to a 12-month contract, saying that she agreed to the T&C when signing up. The problem was that you need to agree to the T&C during the initial router setup, and you don't find out if there's actually a useable signal until the end of that process. So you have to tick the "I agree" box before you can even test it. After a few blunt e-mails back and forth, I assured them that if they wasted their time billing me I wouldn't pay for a service I didn't receive, and I'd gladly argue that in court. Cancelled my DD and never heard from them again.

So basically, tell them to f*ck off, cancel your DD, and return the dongle in the post with a short letter referencing yoru account number & advising them that you're not paying for no service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If sending anything to them, be it a letter or a dongle or whatever, make sure you get them to sign for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anthonyk2010, boards.ie actually has an official Three forum where Three employee's post, it might be worth requesting a mod to move this thread over to that forum so Three can deal with this directly.

Might get things sorted for you faster, if you want the thread moved just click the report post icon (!) beside your first post (the icon is just under your name)

Advertisement