Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self help CD's... anyone used?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I am not sure exactly where to post this.

Has anyone ever used any self help type CD's that create theta waves or any mind power or astral travel type CD's? Anything along this line like subliminal etc

Would be interested in hearing experiences with CD's and if the relaxation part is a long part by part relaation as i do not like those.

There is quite an amazing array of hypnosis /NLP etc and all claiming to be the best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

WildOscar wrote: »
    I am not sure exactly where to post this.

Has anyone ever used any self help type CD's that create theta waves or any mind power or astral travel type CD's? Anything along this line like subliminal etc

Would be interested in hearing experiences with CD's and if the relaxation part is a long part by part relation as i do not like those.

There is quite an amazing array of hypnosis /NLP etc and all claiming to be the best

Yeah, I have a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Yeah, I have a few.
    what have you got and are they good?

Sorry man, I meant to elaborate there. Yeah, so I have a few of them.

10 Min Deep Relaxation Break

Anthony Robbins - Learn To Learn Faster

Creative Thinking and Problem Solving - Lee Pulos

Meditation - Sleep - Floating

Hypnosis - Mega Memory - How To Remember Everything

Dr. Wayne Dyer - Visualising Abundance

Dr. Wayne Dyer - Proscrastination To Motivation

Kelly Howell - Positive Self-Affirmation

Hypnosis - Hemi-Sync -Self-Programming - REM Sleep

Metamusic - Binaural Meditation - Alpha Wave Fire

Deepak Chopra - Restful Sleep, guided meditation

Sync Meditation - Centrepoint - Holosync - Immersion

Past Life Regression session (some Australian dude giving a guided meditation)

Doreen Virtue - Morning and Evening Chakra Cleansing Meditations (two)

Tibetan Singing Bowls

Indian Flute Relaxation

Sylvia Browne - Meet Your Spirit Guide (or something like that title-wise)

I don't listen to them all the time as such. The funny thing is though, they're shoved in alongside all the other normal music tracks on my iPod and, because I usually have its mode on 'shuffle', I can have just listened to something by Tinie Tempah and then on comes Deepak Chopra in his Apu-off-The-Simpsons accent, "Restful Sleep - total mind and body workout." Lol.

They don't really have any sort of profound effect on me and I haven't ever 'seen' or experienced anything unusual, tbh. I just feel relaxed really. They don't produce any major mind-altering reaction in me, though others might experience otherwise. You never know.

However, with the Sylvia Browne spirit guide one, I visualised meeting a tall, sandy-haired bloke in a blue kaftan. It was pretty vivid. He looked like a member of The Eagles actually. Ha. Sylvia Browne speaks a bit like Patty and Selma in The Simpsons but that meditation is quite good, in fairness. You can really see all the scenery she describes and you can see yourself moving along through hallways, fields, paths, etc. It's very good.

I think Dr. Wayne Dyer's hypnosis recordings are pretty good too. They're easy to follow and immerse yourself in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Dr. Wayne Dyer - Visualising Abundance

Metamusic - Binaural Meditation - Alpha Wave Fire
    what is wayne dyer like. I have read about the binaural beat. Doesn that bring on theta. Thanks for reply;)
    have you ever listened to lloyd glauber man HPP cd's where there is a different story in each ear

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sligogringo

The funny thing is though, they're shoved in alongside all the other normal music tracks on my iPod and, because I usually have its mode on 'shuffle', I can have just listened to something by Tinie Tempah and then on comes Deepak Chopra in his Apu-off-The-Simpsons accent, "Restful Sleep - total mind and body workout." Lol.

Cheers for the long list of stuff and the recommendations!

I too have a mix of self help / motivational audio books on my iPod in shuffle mode which I listen to in the car on long journeys for work (its the best place to learn new stuff!) - however I often get embarrassed if anyone is in the car with me and some random self help track comes on, I quickly skip past it and pretend nothing happened - I have some great music on there but I definitely wont be offering my iPod if they are stuck for music at a party (unless I wipe the self help stuff first, ha ha)

I am only new to self-help / motivational stuff, mostly I am interested in learning how to meditate (not while driving :rolleyes:) and I found some tracks are very relaxing.

• Advertisement

WildOscar wrote: »
    what is wayne dyer like. I have read about the binaural beat. Doesn that bring on theta. Thanks for reply;)
    have you ever listened to lloyd glauber man HPP cd's where there is a different story in each ear

Wayne Dyer talks a lot of sense (well, it makes sense to me anyway) in what he talks about prior to the actual hypnosis jag. I find his work very clear and well-structured. I recommend him.

I haven't really noticed any effects from listening to binaural beats although, seeing as it's supposed to target the subconscious, I may not even be aware of any alterations or improvements.

Apparently binaural beats offer two slightly different sound frequencies through earphones. These sort of vibrate in your brain and produce a beat. Your own brain waves are changed, and you are then able to enter into the desired state. So you can get hypnosis or meditation recordings that have binaural beats incorporating whatever end result you're aiming for, e.g. stress-reducing binaural recording, a confidence-boosting binaural recording, or whatever.

However, it hasn't yet been proven that binaural beats can increase people's confidence, help them to quit smoking, improve memorisation ability, etc. All we know so far is that the beats do induce relaxation which would, in turn, help people who suffer from anxiety.

Nope, haven't listened to Lloyd Glauberman but I'll check him out. That sounds cool.

Cheers for the long list of stuff and the recommendations!

No bother. I may as well reel them off somewhere because I don't ever discuss them with anyone I know, let alone mention them.
    I too have a mix of self help / motivational audio books on my iPod in shuffle mode which I listen to in the car on long journeys for work (its the best place to learn new stuff!) - however I often get embarrassed if anyone is in the car with me and some random self help track comes on, I quickly skip past it and pretend nothing happened - I have some great music on there but I definitely wont be offering my iPod if they are stuck for music at a party (unless I wipe the self help stuff first, ha ha)

Lol. I know exactly what you mean. I was in a friend's apartment a couple of months ago and I was waiting for him to get ready and he said to put some music on. So I got out my iPod and put it on speaker mode. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "I hope none of the self-help sh*te comes on", but AC/DC and Blood Red Shoes came on and I was relaxed then. That was, until Paul McKenna's voice came booming out, "WELCOME TO HYPNOTIC TRANCE!" John called out from the bathroom, "What the f**k is that?" Lol.

I don't find McKenna very good at all simply because he has this sickening arrogance in his voice that's hard to ignore as he's doing the hypnosis. I'm also always reminded of that Little Britain sketch whenever I hear him. biggrin.gif

I am only new to self-help / motivational stuff, mostly I am interested in learning how to meditate (not while driving rolleyes.gif) and I found some tracks are very relaxing.

Yeah, I see the value in learning how to meditate because we're all taught to be 'switched on' in beta mode from birth and theta mode is cast aside and disregarded. People in general would probably be a lot healthier if they meditated a couple of times a week. Aggression-related crime would probably decrease too. I'm not suggesting that people sit in the Lotus position on a bloody cushion with la-dee-da music playing in the background, but to just pull back a bit and go 'inward'. I haven't mastered meditation by any means but I do give it a go now and again.

I think we can underestimate the power of the mind and how it really is possible to programme it for what you want, whether it's for more mental focus or for better health overall. If you didn't have your mind, you'd be screwed - the mind can be the builder or the destroyer but it's your choice ultimately. That's my own take on it anyway.

Advertisement