Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving guns from USA

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Folks, hope this is the right place for this question. I am moving back to Ireland from NY in a few months and am wondering whether it is worth the hassle to bring the guns. I have a few shotguns and the kids have pellet rifles and BB guns. Nothing is licensed over here as none is necessary. I understand even the pellet gun may neeed a license in Ireland. Would I be better off selling them here and buying again in Ireland? What about ammo? I have a fair stash of that too. Young fellow also has a hunting bow. Can I bring that? I am shipping with my household stuff by container so no duties or tax are due.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Take it bit by bit.

Shotguns - By all means bring them home. Be warned that any shotgun with a pistol grip,folding/telescopic stock or barrel shorter than 24", and capable of holding more than 3 shots is classed as restricted. You can still get a license, but may be more hassle as they require a higher level of home security to own and possess.

Pellet rifle - Unfortunately classed as firearms here so yes they would require a firearms license for each one. If the kids are under 14 then you cannot even get them on a training cert. If they are 14-16 you can license them and have them licensed as a second license holder under a training cert. If over 16 they can apply to have their own full lincese. Also remember that the more guns, restricted or otherwise, the higher the level of security you will require.

BB guns - Once the guns do not have a muzzle energy exceeding 1 joule they are perfectly legal to own WITHOUT a license. Anything over 1 joule and they are legally defined as a firearm and require a license.

Hunting bow - To the best of my knowledge long bows/compound/recurve bows do not require a license however i will confirm that shortly. The only point to note is they CANNOT be used for hunting in Ireland. Its illegal.
    corazon wrote:
    Would I be better off selling them here and buying again in Ireland? What about ammo? I have a fair stash of that too.
    Unfortunately i could not answer that for you. There are some restrictions to licensing firearms to non residents which someone will explain later i'm sure. Then there is the issue of security. Even if you could license them immediately and bring them directly over with you, they would have to be able to go stright into secure storage. As in a gun safe. So you would need the house kitted out with all the necessay security requirements prior to moving.

Alternatively you could have the firearms shipped to a registered firearms dealer here and have them store the firearms for you until licenses and secure storage at your house has been sorted.

After that you could sell all your gear, guns, ammo, and take the money with you and start fresh here. Its a tough decision, but again one i wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to do either way.

Young fellow also has a hunting bow. Can I bring that?

Yes, but as above it cannot be used for hunting (illegal here) so he would have to join an Archery club to use it.

If you have a read of THIS THREAD it will run through alot of the basics such as appying for a license, levels of security depending on amount of firearms, types of firearms and their status, etc, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

+1 on the previous post, also I hope they're not black "special ops " type weapons, you'll laugh and cry when you see the rules and regulations that apply here relative to your present location

don't think about selling your firearms and buying here, you haven't seen Irish prices!!!

Another one, don't even think about including firearms in container without import licenses, or ammo for that matter, PM me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Thanks for the quick response guys. Didn't realize the laws were so strict. Looks like the shotguns are no problem but the kids are not going to be happy about the air rifles. They are all under 12 and have been shooting for a few years but I see they can't get a license until 14. If I shouldn't put the guns in the container, can I check them in on the airplane like on a hunting trip if I declare them? Any restrictions on night vision stuff?

• Advertisement

corazon wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response guys. Didn't realize the laws were so strict.

Thats only the starters ones. We'll keep the "good" ones till later. :D
    Looks like the shotguns are no problem but the kids are not going to be happy about the air rifles. They are all under 12 and have been shooting for a few years but I see they can't get a license until 14.

Well as said you could license them until they turn 14, but thats more firearms under your name, more security and then there is the chance you may be refused if you try and license (for talks sake) 3-4 air rifles and 3-4 shotugns immediately.
    If I shouldn't put the guns in the container, can I check them in on the airplane like on a hunting trip if I declare them? Any restrictions on night vision stuff?

As Savage93 has said already you cannot ship the firearms here nor can you bring them without the relevant import documentation and respective licenses here. In other words its a few months of chasing down paperwork just to bring them over.

I tried to refrain from giving my opinion on whether to bring them, but honestly the hassle and grief could all be saved by selling everything and buying here. The prices are huge compared to the states, and the laws/restrictions will put most people off, however as you are coming here anyway and that in itself is a major ordeal, i would try and reduce the headache by leaving the guns and starting fresh here.

If that is not to your liking i would consider picking a firearm or two, say your "favorite" and trying to import these then sell the rest.

But seriously, DO NOT ATTEMPT to ship or fly in firearms without the relevant import documentation/licenses. Serious consequences that will prohibit you from (possibly) owning a firearm here.

I must stress i am not trying to put you off, but there is little point in sugar coating it and making it seem easier than it actually is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I shipped a rifle back from Australia a few years ago, serious PITA , export licence, shipping difficulties , almost confiscated in the uk , import licence, the apply for licence here, all in all cost of about 300 euro and 10 months stress.

Sell in the states and buy again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Better still..Stay put in the US!
    Most of us want to leave at this stage,and go to the US way things are going here.:D
    Ireland makes NYC like a very friendly place to own firearms.:rolleyes: I know you said NY[ state? ]which is a totally different kettle of fish.So picture going for a NYC firearms permit with less benefits!:eek:

Night vision..So long as it isnt weapons mountable.IE a dedicated scope or scope attachment,you are good to go here.You can get a permit variation for somthing weapons mountable from the Super.But it seems to be almost nill people that we folks know of here has one.
    Just make sure you are ok on exporting it from CONUS.The State Dept with ITAR regulations take a dim view of exporting this stuff.Last thing you want to do is give some overzealous Fed a easy bust to make their case quota.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ..So long as it isnt weapons mountable.IE a dedicated scope or scope attachment,you are good to go here.

Any NV that is firearm mountable needs authorisation from the Suoperintendent.

Thats what I said Ez?? "isnt weapons/firearms mountable.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Corazon,
    Do you have any family in the country? Anyone with a farm?

If so, why don't you apply for an out of country permit while you are still a resident of the US?

Unlike the US, you will have to demonstrate a need for your weapons, excuse me, firearms. In Ireland, firearms (which includes compound bows) are not to be used in self defense.

Examples of "need," you want a 30-06 to cull the deer on the land that are eating the farm out of house and home.

You need the 223 to take care of the foxes that massacred the chickens.

You need the 22lr to take care of smaller vermin like bunnies.

Of course, the 12ga takes care of the birds.

Later on, if you decide to move to Ireland, you'll already have the guns in the system and it should be easier to permanently license.

Oh yeah, have you heard that every gun has to be licenses at a fee of €80 every three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Hate to add more bad news, but as far as I know it's not straightforward or cheap to get a firearm out of the US permanently (although this would not apply to bows and air rifles)

Have a read of this: Importing from the USA

Short story, only someone with a special State Dept. license can export firearms. It might be different for a private individual who's moving permanently - it would be worth contacting the ATF for more info on that. Expect them to take about a month to reply if you write or email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

bows are easyto import there are NO restrictions on them but as one of the previous posters noted hunting is illegal here , you don't need to join an archery club you are perfectly entitled to shoot targets anywhere you have permission

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats what I said Ez?? "isnt weapons/firearms mountable.:confused:

Allow me to clarify so.

You said once the NV is NOT firearm mountable he is good to go. I merely stated that he COULD mount it WITH authorisation from his Superintendant.
    landkeeper wrote:
    ............ you don't need to join an archery club you are perfectly entitled to shoot targets anywhere you have permission

Apologies for that. I did not mean to suggest that unless the young lad joined a club he could not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

OP

I think it would be a good idea to let us know what shotguns you have. That way ppl here would be able to tell you the following..

What type licenses are needed(restricted or unrestricted)
    What minimum level or security may be needed.

Also they could give you a rough retail price or the firearms over here so you could decide yourself whether it's worth importing or just buy again over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

It is starting to look like it won't be worth the hassle. My brother is a farmer and I will be living a few miles from him so maybe that will help. I am not looking to bring any rifles or high powered stuff. I have narrowed it down to one shotgun (Remington 12 Ga pump), a Crossman air rifle similar to this one and a Daisy BB gun. Do I really have to pay E80 for a license for the air rifle? It cost less than that to buy it. Is the BB ok at least? It was a birthday present for my son when he turned 11. If I don't bring anything what can I expect to pay for a similar shotgun in Ireland? We have a serious problem with grey crows around the house I am moving to so that will be the main use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

corazon wrote: »
    It is starting to look like it won't be worth the hassle. My brother is a farmer and I will be living a few miles from him so maybe that will help. I am not looking to bring any rifles or high powered stuff. I have narrowed it down to one shotgun (Remington 12 Ga pump), a Crossman air rifle similar to this one and a Daisy BB gun. Do I really have to pay E80 for a license for the air rifle? It cost less than that to buy it. Is the BB ok at least? It was a birthday present for my son when he turned 11. If I don't bring anything what can I expect to pay for a similar shotgun in Ireland? We have a serious problem with grey crows around the house I am moving to so that will be the main use.

My brother bought a Remington 870 pump action before Christmas and it cost him 500 euro second hand(although it was like new).

So let's say you buy the shotgun over her it would cost 500 euro for that,80 euro for the license and approx 100 euro for a safe if the guards ask you to get one.

Works out at about 700 euro for that!

Bad news on the BB guns too.:( If they are putting them out at 560fps ,they are firearms and treated as such here.Yeah thats another 80 Euros a pop for three years.
    The Remmy is if you shop around between 500 and 800 Euros depending on condition and specs.

Advertisement