Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a web site

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all

I will be doing a Fetac level 6 Web design course in the coming weeks.
    My aim is to be able to make sites from scratch from information sites,
    e-commerce sites, to membership sites.

My questions is:

1. What would be the best software to use? i want something that most web developers uses so if i need help it might be easy to get if others are using it.

Please if anybody has anything to say dont hesitate to say it as long as it is postive feedback. (i dont want people telling me i cant do it or dont do it) it has been something i always wanted to do and have learned bits over the last few years.

Thanks again for any help
    Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Start doing it in some notepad editor at the begining and actually learn HTML/CSS without having it done for you (badly probably) by software.

There are plenty tutorials on w3 schools. http://www.w3schools.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

As Webmonkey said, start off with a basic text editor (like Notepad++) to learn the basics.

I jumped straight into dreamweaver as soon as I got my hands on a copy and found eventually that it was making me take way too many shortcuts and miss some real basic stuff that I should be learning first time round.

So yeah, use a text editor first so you understand the fundamentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭supermonkey

HTML
    followed by Wordpress which leads to
    PHP and MYSQL

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JavaBeans

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Start doing it in some notepad editor at the begining and actually learn HTML/CSS without having it done for you (badly probably) by software.

There are plenty tutorials on w3 schools. http://www.w3schools.com/

awesome site there, anything similar for java you are aware of, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

JavaBeans wrote: »
    awesome site there, anything similar for java you are aware of, thanks

For Java you can take a look at http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ . Not quite the level of the w3 site but can be very handy to help you pick up the language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

@OP In relation to the course you are doing, bear in mind that layout and typography are largely handled using CSS and divs these days as opposed to tables, frames and in page fonts. The www.w3schools.com tutorials will cover that end of the coding for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I use Programmers Notepad as a basic text editor instead of Notepad++.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I use Notepad++ for HTML coding and programming

Advertisement