Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I would buy anything for my fiancée which I could possibly reasonably afford.

IMO, I'd much rather spend 3 months wages on saving for a mortgage or buying a car or doing something we need or stands to us in the future.

However I would do my absolute best to buy the best I possibly could.

Having said all that if she was the type of girl to turn around and throw something back in my face for not being expensive enough then I would never let the relationship even get to the point where I'd be in a position of buying a ring.

Some of the girls on here expecting all this money to be spent on them are ridiculous. Continue on that way and no man will ever be buying you a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Exactly. If you don't have two pennies to rub together, then you shouldn't be splashing out thousands on an engagement ring. If you can afford to, then that's your business and nobody else's!

You seem to be affording a great sense of importance to the monetry value of the ring - almost as if its more inportant than the engagement itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭up for anything

My next man will have to give me one of these to prove his true love. Bugger money - pain is where it's at.

BioArt/BioJewellery
    Bone rings exchanged by couples

The growing process is long and is fragile, but has future potential

Couples are being given the opportunity to exchange jewellery made from samples of their bone grown in the laboratory.
    Scientists obtain bone cells from wisdom teeth and then grow them on a "scaffold" material in the lab.

The efforts are part of a collaboration between scientists and artists aiming to learn how to craft complex shapes from bone tissue.

Examples are to go on display at an exhibition at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital in London.

I would get sent photographs of the material as it was growing so in some sense I felt an emotional connection to the process. Some people talk an awful lot of bollox!
    Harriet Harriss

Harriet Harriss and Matt Harrison, one of five couples involved in the project, have just been presented with their rings made from their bone cells.

"I do think it's interesting that I've only been in contact with bone when it's been in my dinner," said Harriet, "So it's intriguing to have my own bone, my own matter objectified in this way and made into something precious and symbolic.

Her partner Matt told BBC News: "When you think about it for a while, it's like ivory but more ethical, and the material has never been part of Harriet, just grown from her code taken from her body.

He added: "Yes it's the reason why people are interested and why they have the 'yuck' factor but when you see the object and think about it, I don't think it is gross at all. It's quite clean and pure."]

Those names have to made up. I can't quite see a Harriet Hariss-Harrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

If i ever find myself getting engaged i won't be wiping my arse for a week and the misses can stick her finger up my hole if she wants a ring. I'd rather spend the money on the wedding.

charming,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

If i ever find myself getting engaged i won't be wiping my arse for a week and the misses can stick her finger up my hole if she wants a ring. I'd rather spend the money on the wedding.

haha

I thought you were going to say I'd rather spend the money on my kids education, or in doing up the house.......but no, you'd blow it on the wedding. Pints all round folks........

....my f*cked up priorities are better than your f*cked priorities....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Not that I have intentions to get married but if I was planning to I'd give the woman an ultimatum:

"Engagement ring or a wedding.............your choice!" :pac:

if you earn 100k you will spend circa 10k. if you earn 50 you will spend 5k, if you on min wage or dole you will spend few 100(i suspect a lot of posters fall into this category) . its all relitive in the end. its like anything in life you will buy a bigger house/car/TV etc.. if you have more money.

People who can't afford the more expensive things will then justify it to themselves by say "money can't buy you love" "idiots pay more than a grand for a ring" "i'd be happy with a onion ring" people say this cos they know deep down they can't afford the more expensive things in life so it makes them feel better to be Self-righteous and scoff at someone who can!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    People who can't afford the more expensive things will then justify it to themselves by say "money can't buy you love" "idiots pay more than a grand for a ring" "i'd be happy with a onion ring" people say this cos they know deep down they can't afford the more expensive things in life so it makes them feel better to be Self-righteous and scoff at someone who can!

Ignoring of course that even if some people had the money they would find better ways to spend it. Not everyone is interested in showing off their wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Probaly between 3-6k girls look forward to this and there are two important points you have to consider
    1.your future bride will be dissapointed (not a good start right there)
    2.nasty condesending comments from other girls.and people will think your a cheap skate too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Probaly between 3-6k girls look forward to this and there are two important points you have to consider
    2.nasty condesending comments from other girls.and people will think your a cheap skate too.
    Oh noes, what will the neighbours say?

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

if you earn 100k you will spend circa 10k. if you earn 50 you will spend 5k, if you on min wage or dole you will spend few 100(i suspect a lot of posters fall into this category) . its all relitive in the end. its like anything in life you will buy a bigger house/car/TV etc.. if you have more money.

Ok Ross, I see what you are saying about income and that, but really if you were any way a "grown up" you'd realise that the size of a piece of rock doesn't equal a good marriage. Just make sure when you find your shallow wife to be (if you don't already have her) you keep her in the style she's accustomed too or she won't be around long. Shallow people are like that.

Not enough hands to facepalm myself enough.

Oh noes, what will the neighbours say?

Pathetic.
    i think it is a fair arrangement 5k ring for going through child birth
    imagine trying to push a roast beef out through your nose:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac: Gets better and better.

Seriously?? I must have missed the memo on that, I had my children because I wanted them, not because of jewellery.

This thread is making me want to pull my face off.

Ok Ross, I see what you are saying about income and that, but really if you were any way a "grown up" you'd realise that the size of a piece of rock doesn't equal a good marriage. Just make sure when you find your shallow wife to be (if you don't already have her) you keep her in the style she's accustomed too or she won't be around long. Shallow people are like that.

what you spend on a ring shouldn't have any effect on a good marriage. why are the mutually exclusive. you can have an amazing relationship and spend money on each other,
    its a myth dreamt up by people who aren't financially rich that people with money have bad marriages, are shallow.
    I have found my wife and she isn't in the slightest bit shallow, primary school teacher, concert pianist, irish music enthusiast, multiple volunteer, and all round amazing person, ring 7k, she loves it.
    again you can't fall into the myth that someone how earns a lot of money and spends it as shallow, as i said before its a myth to make people to feel better/justified about not being able to buy the thing the for mentioned person can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

@seammc1980

Bitterness? Jealousy? I sincerely beg to differ.

BIG HAT, NO CATTLE.

i.e. You may LOOK rich (10k engagement rings, rolex watch, louis vuitton etc) but actually you are in reality "one-missed-leased payment-on-that-Lexus", away from bankruptcy!

Realise that a lot of wealthy people are actually extremely frugal and would scoff at the suggestion of "rules" surrounding the purchase of an engagement ring.

I would suggest you read "The Millionaire Next Door" to gain a proper perspective on the rich (though based on the US market, the idea is universal). The conspicuous consumption we see in the media is by a tiny minority of the wealthy e.g. prem league footballers, russian oligarchs etc etc.

On topic, I would argue that a properly wealthy couple getting married would purchase a nice ring of say €500/$750 and shun the status symbolesque 10k plus models. Sure that's the reason they are rich in the first place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So because a lot of people don't agree with you they must be poor or unemployed because how could anyone possibly not want to spend a ridiculous sum on a ring?

Maybe some people say they would be happy with an onion ring because they are marrying someone because they love them, not because of the size of the rock they get.

again you can't fall into the myth..

You've been doing a fair bit of that yourself. Numerous assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was talking to my manager about weddings today and all the hype around them. She told me she got married in a paisley smock and brown wollen trousers that her mother made her because she was 8.5 months pregnant. After the reception they went to the pub for warm fizzy wine and a meat pie. Her sister had a huge elaborate white wedding the year after, spending an absolute fortune. My manager has been married for 41 years, her sister is on her fourth marriage and it's still not sticking. She was divorced after a few years of her first big elaborate wedding.

I think people need to hear stories like these when they equate spending a lot of money to having a lasting marriage.

what you spend on a ring shouldn't have any effect on a good marriage. why are the mutually exclusive. you can have an amazing relationship and spend money on each other,
    its a myth dreamt up by people who aren't financially rich that people with money have bad marriages, are shallow.
    I have found my wife and she isn't in the slightest bit shallow, primary school teacher, concert pianist, irish music enthusiast, multiple volunteer, and all round amazing person, ring 7k, she loves it.
    again you can't fall into the myth that someone how earns a lot of money and spends it as shallow, as i said before its a myth to make people to feel better/justified about not being able to buy the thing the for mentioned person can

Well good for you on the wife situation.....It must be just your posting that makes you seem like the money spent is whats important in an engagement and the sentiment behind it. I never said you shouldn't spend what you could afford, its when people start speculating on how much this precious present cost that it goes into the vulgar category for me. You wouldn't ask how much a Christmas present was would you? And then go tell the world "oh the wife spend €7k on this for me" Crass, unclassy and again vulgar.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So because a lot of people don't agree with you they must be poor or unemployed because how could anyone possibly not want to spend a ridiculous sum on a ring?

Maybe some people say they would be happy with an onion ring because they are marrying someone because they love them, not because of the size of the rock they get.

every young girl dreams of their engagement, ring i think it is best not to disappoint and sure if it makes her happy i dont care how much it costs so long as she is happy if it's 10 euro or 10k. now to quote T.I "you can have whatever you like"

prinz wrote: »
    Ignoring of course that even if some people had the money they would find better ways to spend it. Not everyone is interested in showing off their wealth.

true, but what do you spend your money on, its not showing off your wealth but its a fact that people with more money buy more expensive thing the people with less? what would be the point in having more money if you felt you had to keep down with the jones'es and not spend it?
    I know its trendy now to be frugal with money but i love spioling my fiance wheather its nice meals, jewellery, nights out, holidays.

why should an engagement ring be any different, i want to spoiler her and if it means blowing cash on an expensive ring then so be it(she doesn't ask for anything but love and honesty, i give her that and extra presents are just a bonus to her for being so god dam amazing!!)

prinz wrote: »
    You've been doing a fair bit of that yourself. Numerous assumptions.

as have you

as have you

What assumptions have I made? I have said if people have the money they can spend it on whatever they like and made clear my opinion of some aspects of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

every young girl dreams of their engagement, ring i think it is best not to disappoint and sure if it makes her happy i dont care how much it costs so long as she is happy if it's 10 euro or 10k. now to quote T.I "you can have whatever you like"

No we don't, please stop spouting this BS.
    I really hate when people do this :mad:

bluewolf wrote: »
    No we don't, please stop spouting this BS.
    I really hate when people do this :mad:
    sorry the majority of young girls do not all

Well good for you on the wife situation.....It must be just your posting that makes you seem like the money spent is whats important in an engagement and the sentiment behind it. I never said you shouldn't spend what you could afford, its when people start speculating on how much this precious present cost that it goes into the vulgar category for me. You wouldn't ask how much a Christmas present was would you? And then go tell the world "oh the wife spend €7k on this for me" Crass, unclassy and again vulgar.

as i've said before the only people who know the price of my fiance's ring are family. and people on the boards, for the purpose of this debate.

• Advertisement

i dont care how much it costs so long as she is happy if it's 10 euro or 10k.

A few posts back it was between €3,000 and €6,000 for you. Is that the usual range for buying happiness?

Advertisement