Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    as i've said before the only people who know the price of my fiance's ring are family. and people on the boards, for the purpose of this debate.

:pac::pac::rolleyes: (I couldn't find the bullsh1t smiley)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

prinz wrote: »
    A few posts back it was between €3,000 and €6,000 for you. Is that the usual range for buying happiness?

i would pay up to 10k if it was a nice one 3-6 would be comfortable range but i would strech to 10k i would just not go on holiday.i just like buying nice things for people i love,i want the best for them and if anyone has a problem with that
    i dont care its my money i'll spend it as i wish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

i dont care its my money i'll spend it as i wish

I thought you were more afraid of being labelled a cheapskate than doing what you want with your own money. You see you gave two reasons neither of which relate to spending your own money as you wish, rather to spending your own money to appease others.
    1.your future bride will be dissapointed (not a good start right there)
    2.nasty condesending comments from other girls.and people will think your a cheap skate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

okay i think i need to clarify my position on this thread.

1) i dont agree there should be min expectations from a girlfriend on the price of the ring. this is shallow and goes against the purpose of getting engaged.

2) I dont agree that buying an expensive ring will eventually result in a bad marriage, a myth has been built up abound this for reason's i've highlight earlier.

3) I agree that what you spend on a ring is relative to you disposable income, inherently people with more disposable income will spend more on a engagement ring

4) i disagree wearing a expensive ring amounts to being vulgar and rubbing it in people faces

5) i disagree with the notion that there are better thing to spend your money on, if this was the attitude we'd buy nothing as there will always be something better to use you money for.

i hope this clarity’s my position on the matter.

1) i dont agree there should be min expetations from a grilfriend on the price of the ring. this is shallow and goes against the purpose of getting engaged..

True.
    2) I dont agree that buying an expensive ring will enevlatbally result in a bad marriage, a myth has been built up abound this for reason's i've highlight earlier...

True.
    3) I agree that what you spend on a ring is relative to you disposable income, inherrently people with more disposable income will spend more on a engaggment ring...

False.
    4) i disagree wearing a expensive ring amounts to being volgour and rubbing it in people faces...

I don't think anyone said wearing them is vulgar. Comparing prices/discussing cost is something else.
    5) i disagree with the notion that there are better thing to spend your money on, if this was the attitude we'd buy nothing as there will always be something better to use you money for....

False.

• Advertisement

I thought you were more afraid of being labelled a cheapskate than doing what you want with your own money. You see you gave two reasons neither of which relate to spending your own money as you wish, rather to spending your own money to appease others.

next to a grass a cheapskate is the worst thing you can be labelled around here
    and news speads fast round her you will never shake the label off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

every young girl dreams of their engagement, ring i think it is best not to disappoint and sure if it makes her happy i dont care how much it costs so long as she is happy if it's 10 euro or 10k. now to quote T.I "you can have whatever you like"

I agree with you, once both are happy to spend that amount then why not! My point was it shouldn't be dictated to you how much you need to spend. It's whatever you are comfortable spending regardless of how much you earn.

My ring cost 4k, my fiance was happy to spend that, I was a bit dubious about the cost but I love the ring. I don't go around telling people how much it was and I don't think people are cheap skates if they spend a few hundred. (I would never ask someone how much a ring cost anyway, once they are happy with it, that's all that matters)

next to a grass a cheapskate is the worst thing you can be labelled around here
    and news speads fast round her you will never shake the label off

Where's here? D block in Folsom Prison?

I don't think anyone said wearing them is vulgar. Comparing prices/discussing cost is something else.

it has been said on various posts over the thrend. and i agree with you on comparing. as i said numerous time my family and the boards are the only people(purposes of debate) know the price of my ring.

so we only disagree on 2 points now, dam prinz, we've come a long way? will you marry me, promise i won't spend a forture!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Why would a man want to spend so much money on a car or a house? They are just cars you drive in. You have expenses on that anyway to maintain a car/house anyway. Why buy them so expensive that would go up the roof and just for show and go into debt. Cars and a house will depreciate in value while an engagement wouldn't!? It might actually cost more if you sell it on or something at a later date. I can understand the novelty of a nice ring can wear off after awhile but it is a nice keepsake to have! A ring will last longer than a car or a house. A car or a house can wear down become shabby. A car can break down etc. Would investing in a newer up to date model of a car or a house be any different? You would end up paying more for a car(s)/house put together than a ring in a mans lifetime. You really only need to buy the ring the once while a car or a house you could keep on buying etc whether or not you still keep them or just update them for new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why would a man want to spend so much money on a car or a house? They are just cars you drive in. You have expenses on that anyway to maintain a car/house anyway. Why buy them so expensive that would go up the roof and just for show and go into debt. Cars and a house will depreciate in value while an engagement wouldn't!? It might actually cost more if you sell it on or something at a later date. I can understand the novelty of a nice ring can wear off after awhile but it is a nice keepsake to have! A ring will last longer than a car or a house. A car or a house can wear down become shabby. A car can break down etc. Would investing in a newer up to date model of a car or a house be any different? You would end up paying more for a car(s)/house put together than a ring in a mans lifetime. You really only need to buy the ring the once while a car or a house you could keep on buying etc whether or not you still keep them or just update them for new ones.
    Dig up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Cars and houses are essentials. A huge diamond that you can flaunt to all your superficial mates etc isn't.

If a man wants to show off a car/house and a woman wants to show off her engagement ring its the same thing!:rolleyes:

what women's opinion on an engagement watch?i am thinking outside the box??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If a man wants to show off a car/house and a woman wants to show off her engagement ring its the same thing!:rolleyes:

MEN ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE BUYING CARS OR HOUSES

please just STOP and take your time machine back to the 40s okay

so we only disagree on 2 points now, dam prinz, we've come a long way? will you marry me, promise i won't spend a forture!! lol

Sorry, I'm taken. :)

Sorry, I'm taken. :)

damn i was gonna ask you out when i got parole:)

bluewolf wrote: »
    MEN ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE BUYING CARS OR HOUSES

please just STOP and take your time machine back to the 40s okay

I know, but men have a tendancy to have flashy cars than women! Women tend to go for the safer options for a car. Then again they can go for flashy cars too have they have the money. Chances are they will likely be stolen if its a very flashy car!

1940's? huh?:(

No it isn't. Again, cars and houses are essentials, and engagement ring isn't.

No it isn't. Again, cars and houses are essentials, and engagement ring isn't.

Yes I do know that. A ring is a once off while cars and houses aren't!

• Advertisement

I know, but men have a tendancy to have flashy cars than women! Women tend to go for the safer options for a car. Then again they can go for flashy cars too have they have the money. Chances are they will likely be stolen if its a very flashy car!

1940's? huh?:(

Men and women buy their OWN cars. How about you buy your own engagement ring then?

Cars and houses are essentials. A huge diamond that you can flaunt to all your superficial mates etc isn't.

No they're not, you can rent a house happily for the rest of your life. you can lease a car, get public transport, walk, cycle.

why do you assume people are superficial if they have an expensive enagement ring?
    if thats the case why would you ever buy anything above the cheapest in the market, essentially if you do you should be considered superficial if we're apply logic to your agruement? but maybe logic is a concept lost on some people?

Men and women buy their OWN cars. How about you buy your own engagement ring then?

I'd have no problem with that. It is the 21st century!;) My opinions could still change in a few years time though when I'd be in my 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Man here (ug). Problem with an engagement watch is they are far more likely to break, fall off, get lost than a ring, no ?

I genuinely hate this idea that engagement rings are supposed to cost so much. When that English Prince and his girlfriend got engaged, someone I know made a passing snide comment that his giving her his mother's engagement ring was cheap and that, as a Prince, he could surely afford a proper one.

Jesus, where to start? Firstly, that ring is probably worth more than any diamond. Secondly, it's not about the cost of it.

No they're not, you can rent a house happily for the rest of your life. you can lease a car, get public transport, walk, cycle.

why do you assume people are superficial if they have an expensive enagement ring?
    if thats the case why would you ever buy anything above the cheapest in the market, essentially if you do you should be considered superficial if we're apply logic to your agruement? but maybe logic is a concept lost on some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

Why is it that large penis on a man is supposed to be a good thing and small penis bad.
    While large vagina on a woman is a bad thing while small vagina good...

Double standards!!! :mad:

It all depends on your perspective... a big vagina is only a bad thing is you have a little mickey and vice versa, etc and so on

Not a bad idea. I mean to say some brides buy their bridesmaids gifts too so don't think it be any different to buy her groom one? Why shouldn't she. Its the thought that counts.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Man here (ug). Problem with an engagement watch is they are far more likely to break, fall off, get lost than a ring, no ?

Really? The fiance asked me messing the other day why I didn't have to get him something so I've been researching nice watches on the internet, do men not like this? I don't think its fair I get a lovely ring and he gets the bill. Maybe I'll get him a tattoo instead, ya can't loose that.

• Advertisement

excellent counter arguement, very well though out and insightful!

agruement flawed, resort to childish palmfaces and epic fails,

Advertisement