Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A car or a house can wear down become shabby.

.....and a wife doesn't??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Right on sister, who needs bras.
    It's more right-on.
    Not in their world apparently.

That would be materialistic.

Materialism is the devil!

I must rummage through trash for clothing for fear I'll be labelled as materialistic.

So, what, cos a person doesn't have any interest in expensive engagement rings, they must be a hippie feminist???

Different people have different priorities, an engagement ring would be a waste for me, I would never wear one. My preference, like Dory, would be for a holiday of some sort. For me personally, that would be worth more.

I'm not judging anyone for their decision to spend a lot of money on an engagement ring. But i don't like to see people pressured into something they cannot afford because of some arbitrary rule of a 'minimum spend'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why would anyone spend 15 grand on a watch . Thats worse than blowing it on a ring FFS ? Lidl were doing perfectly decent watches for a fiver a while back. They told the time without saying "please mug me" to every passer by one might encounter.
    *awkward moment considering a forum I mod* :D Well a watch will tell the time at least..... :o Though yep there's a logic disconnect there too. A 10 euro quartz will be a more accurate timekeeper than a 30 grand mechanical Patek Philippe(they can cost millions. Yep).

But even though I like watches, no way would I spend 15 grand or anything near it on one. Most true watch aficionados(temposexuals:D) wouldnt either. And no way would you need to spend anything close to 15 grand to get something decent. Knock off a zero and you'll get something V nice. I've gotten some nice ones over the years and the most I've ever spent was 1 k. Usually way way less. Pick well and they hold their value. Pick very well and they'll really climb in value. If I had a time machine and went back to the early 80's say with 1000 punts to spend on watches, I could turn that into close to a million today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My engagement ring was expensive, it would have paid our mortgage for
    A year at the time!

My partner was happy to spoil me. We had the money at the time so went for it.

It's something I wear everyday and will wear for the rest of my life. So I will get good value out of it

Quality wrote: »
    So I will get good value out of it

How exactly? Is it going to feed the kids or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Now I've been on the side against tacky conspicuous consumption, but I'm not some grey communist killjoy either. Humans have always collected or given away as tokens things that were otherwise "worthless". As far back as Neanderthal man they were collecting shells and pigments for body adornment and they didnt help feed their kids. Sure they may have been religious talismans, but just as likely(going on modern"cavemen) that they simply enjoyed them or they had some emotional or symbolic value for them.

You could aim that argument at pretty much anything. I mean, I'm sure you could get by with a smaller cheaper telly or PC. Buy all your clothes in Dunnes(nada agin them BTW. Got a nice jacket in there before), but god it would be a joyless existence.

Actually that sums up my position. Joylessness. I see that in the beige types where everything must earn its way and I see it in the "oh you do know how much this cost?" types. Horrid way to live on either side of the fence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have warned my boy if he spends more then 250e it is going straight back to the shop.

engagement rings are old fashioned and are not necessary.

i dont need a piece of metal on my finger to show that i am in a committed relationship.

i am also uncomfortable about the whole meaning of the engagement ring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My girlfriend pointed out 1 in a window for 7000 so i told her she'd have to wait at least 7yrs for me to afford it. she said what kind of ring would it take for me to propose that day, i said an onion ring.
    That was 8months ago.
    Since then, she has lost her job and now wants a "token ring", but i know her, and I know that wouldnt do her.
    My aim is about 3000e.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Now I've been on the side against tacky conspicuous consumption, but I'm not some grey communist killjoy either.

Nor am I, my point is that that spending a year's worth of mortgage money on it and then saying you'll get value out of it is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Mont wrote: »
    Depends on the income but anyone with a half-decent job should be spending 5k minimum.

that is ridiculous..personally won't hate to see anyway pay that on a ring..can't even wear mine as it's too small - buy a ring less then 1000 euro and save money towards a nice honeymoon and good start in your married life...surely there's lots of jewellery bargains to be had these days..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just a heads up that this thread has moved forums, so please take note and avoid the AH style posts. Thanks.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My engagement ring was expensive, it would have paid our mortgage for
    A year at the time!

lol, what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

Bought engagement ring from well-respected online jeweller in US and had it shipped to my brother who lives there. Cost about €3k. He sent it over by courier to Ireland in a mint tin stuffed between random documents he put in the envelope. It was a risk, but arrived safe and no duty or VAT to pay. Had to get it valued for house insurance and was valued here at over €5k. So, she knew how much it was worth and it freaked her out a but more than anything. It's not a big diamond, but was a very good quality one, which I wanted to get her, rather than some big rock that was half as good quality and with a lot less sparkle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

has anyone pointed out that an engagement ring is a part of a marriage contract and the it should be returned to the man wedding is called off ?

seeing as how we are traditional and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

has anyone pointed out that an engagement ring is a part of a marriage contract and the it should be returned to the man wedding is called off ?

seeing as how we are traditional and all that

I would've thought that would be stating the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Anyone considering buying their other half a watch :eek: :o don't you know it's bad luck?

I know several couples who were strong, one gave the other a watch as a pressie and they inexplicably split up in the next few months.

I'm not the only one with this superstition either... we've chatted about it at work :o

Anyone considering buying their other half a watch :eek: :o don't you know it's bad luck?

I know several couples who were strong, one gave the other a watch as a pressie and they inexplicably split up in the next few months.

I'm not the only one with this superstition either... we've chatted about it at work :o

Epic_Facepalm_5452.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

Bought himself several watched over the years and he's bought me three. Ten years on we're still here so I wouldn't pay any heed to old wive's tales :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Morrigin wrote: »
    Bought himself several watched over the years and he's bought me three. Ten years on we're still here so I wouldn't pay any heed to old wive's tales :)

It's not an old wives tale... I'm sure it doesn't make everyone split up :p but I've told himself to never get me a watch and I genuinely know many couples this happened to... I'm not a superstitious kinda person but this is one that I wouldn't mess with :cool:

It's not an old wives tale... I'm sure it doesn't make everyone split up :p but I've told himself to never get me a watch and I genuinely know many couples this happened to... I'm not a superstitious kinda person but this is one that I wouldn't mess with :cool:
    godzilla_facepalm_godzilla_facepalm_Facepalm_collection-s640x387-82177-580.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It's not an old wives tale...

More an old ex-wifes tale perhaps ?

Kinetic^ wrote: »

Well I have been wearing this ring every day for the last 9 years. And will wear it for the rest of my life, then my daughter will inherit it.

It is a beautiful ring, which many people compliment.
    lol, what a waste.

So happy my husband doesnt have this attitude.:)

So happy my husband doesnt have this attitude.:)

Thankfully my girlfriend isn't as materialistic as you. :)

Thankfully my girlfriend isn't as materialistic as you. :)

I am sure your girlfriends standards arent as high as mine...

sure shes with you isnt she:)

I am sure your girlfriends standards arent as high as mine...

sure shes with you isnt she:)
    If your high standards mean marrying a guy who has his priorities aresways then I guess you're right. You're a lucky gal! You go ahead and enjoy that piece of carbon that could have payed your mortgage for a year and eased some of your family's debt. You win at life, well done.

Its amusing how you are so irritated by my husband buying me an expensive ring.

We are obviously in two completely different social classes altogether.
    You win at life, well done.

Yes it does seem that I do.:)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Enough of the bickering, take it to PM if you want to continue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be spending 5K on the OH's ring, could spend more or less but i've found the ring/rock spec she wants.
    Like wibbs I'd be a watch man though I havent bought anything too expensive i'm not a ring man so even though i'll get a ring i'll be getting a fancy watch to wear instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I dont think it matters how much the ring costs, as long as the girl likes it.
    No point in blowing thousands on a piece of jewellery that you will be terrified of losing, so therefore may not wear.
    I think that huge diamonds are hideous, they may cost 10,000+ but just look like costume jewellery because they are so big.
    My oh picked out my ring (gave him a few hints over the years) dont know how much he paid for it but it wasnt anywhere near months wages, Id kill him. But I absolutely love my ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I don't have a strong view on how much be spent......

I do think that most people don't know much about diamonds and wouldn't be able to tell one from the other.......therefore I think what you are buying is a symbol......and thats all it was meant to be in the first place.

And on that basis, I think there is a strong argument for buying it in ireland.

A lot of people saying you get much better value if you go overseas....but what is value if it is (i) something you wont be selling anyway and (ii) at the end of the day, if 6 months ago you wouldnt have know a two carat from a three carat (or whatever) then why does it matter now...? bragging rights, and not much else as far as I can see.

On the other hand, if you buy the ring in Ireland you are supporting the local economic community at a time when the country (i.e. the people around you) could do with the help, and its a big spending decision. I think there is a satisfaction to be had from that.

Advertisement