Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Bill2673 wrote: »
    A lot of people saying you get much better value if you go overseas....but what is value if it is (i) something you wont be selling anyway and (ii) at the end of the day, if 6 months ago you wouldnt have know a two carat from a three carat (or whatever) then why does it matter now...? bragging rights, and not much else as far as I can see.

On the other hand, if you buy the ring in Ireland you are supporting the local economic community at a time when the country (i.e. the people around you) could do with the help, and its a big spending decision. I think there is a satisfaction to be had from that.

I can see what your say most people wont be able to tell the difference, but i have a real problem with being ripped off. like any other commidity i will shop around and get the best value. if i willing to spend 5k and pick up one with the same size, cut , colour and clarity for 2k cheaper then i will. i dont think you realise how much a rip off ireland is when it come to diamonds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

To be honest I am a bit cynical about the notion of rip off Ireland as a reason for not buying here......we're in a massive consumer recession here, businesses will do anything to stay open and that usually means cutting prices down to the wire....its happening in every other area so i don't see why jewellers are different.....a lot of them have shut down.

Now it may still be the case that they are more expensive here, but I dont equate the above scenario with people trying to rip me off.

Secondly, all the comparisons are with Antwerp or New York. Is Dublin any more expensive than seville or turin or lyon on oslo or stockholm....i.e. european cities of similar size that are not diamond centres, adjusting for VAT and duties....? i doubt it.

If I go to ecuador I can bananas cheap. if I go to japan, I can get cars cheap. If I go to Morocco I can get oranges cheap. Its the way of the world.

If on the other hand you can back up your rip-off comment, I'd like to see it.

(ps, how many of the people going to New York to buy rings are paying import duties......it is technically illegal to avoid it, no?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lusty_Lips

LOL

We aren't mindreaders.

If I had to ask permission to marry a girl I'm with, I would need my head examined.

I totally agree :) I wud prefer to know first lol

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I think mine was a silver ring that cost what, a tenner? I am not working at the moment and I would prefer to eat and have a roof over our heads than a 5k rock on my finger. Not that into bling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I could think of far better things to spend my money on at the moment. Unemployed and would rather go traveling etc then throw 2 to 5k on a piece of materialistic nothingness.

Id get more satisfaction if I got a dog or cat as a gift. I if some money was given to charity. Id feel far to selfish, guilty and mean if someone spent that amount on a ring for me...i just wouldnt appreciate the value.

Id personally rather a 700 quid ring max...and the other 4300 euro sent to charity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maryomeara

Ring €1000 - I didn't know until my OH popped the question on holidays, total surprised but was fantastic and said yes! was so happy until the next day he rang his mother first and she instantly said this is not the right time for you (we are both almost 29 n av been 2gether 4 years) n said that he cant afford it , no sign of a congratulations. we bought the ring together (split payment) and still she examined it to the end to see the quality etc. It is set down in a gold band because of my job I would not be able to buy a diamond that stood out of the ring n that was not good enough..........

I really think decide what both of you want, agree you are proud to show off the ring (which u will be asked) and be comfortable with the cost, noone will know or ask how much it was!!!

I LOVE being engaged and never thought I had any interest!! x x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bill2673 wrote: »
    And on that basis, I think there is a strong argument for buying it in ireland.

On the other hand, if you buy the ring in Ireland you are supporting the local economic community at a time when the country (i.e. the people around you) could do with the help, and its a big spending decision. I think there is a satisfaction to be had from that.
    If you want to support the local economy get a ring made by a local goldsmith.

if you buy a mass produced one it doesn't really matter where you buy it.

Handing money to a rich person doesn't help the local economy that much. They tend to buy expensive imports or put into savings etc. Much of my spend is going on mortgage which the banks aren't lending and eventually it will go to into to coffers of those who lent money to the developers. Money going to those on the dole would be back in the economy within a few days. So that's why if you want to support local business, cut out the middle man (expecially if belongs to a chain) and get it hand made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 diamonddazzel

weiland79 wrote: »
    Actually rule of thumb is a month and a half (I'm a jeweller). But lets be realistic here, that's a lot of money for most people these day's so the rule is more or less out the window. On average people are spending between 500 and 1500.

If your a jeweller, any suggestions on the type of diamond you would get for around 1000e??? I have read alot about inclusions and stuff and it is scary!! Any inside info would be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bellacay

My friend's engagement ring cost more than her car... It's hideous!!! It's way too big and she constantly gets it caught in things and when she got married she had to have her wedding band made to fit around it and that just looks odd. I'm sure she likes it but if she chose it because of the size and price then that's just silly.
    Personally I'd rather put the money towards an amazing honeymoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

If someone can be convinced that they should spend 3 months wages on a ring then I already have lost a lot of respect for them.

The jeweller who managed to spread this myth deserves a medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Quality wrote: »
    Its amusing how you are so irritated by my husband buying me an expensive ring.

We are obviously in two completely different social classes altogether.

Yes it does seem that I do.:)

Will be spending 5K on the OH's ring, could spend more or less but i've found the ring/rock spec she wants.
    Like wibbs I'd be a watch man though I havent bought anything too expensive i'm not a ring man so even though i'll get a ring i'll be getting a fancy watch to wear instead.

Jesus Helimachoptor. If I'd known when I was 15 that you were going to spend that much on an engagement ring, well, things might be have been veeerrry different :pac:

I got engaged when I was 18. The ring was a couple of hundred pound. I lost it before I got married! I since bought myself a replacement, it's a rock, and it's stunning (to me). But it was a bargain which I got it in a closing down sale in New York and I paid for it. I LOVE it, but I love rings, diamonds, rubies and sapphires. LOVE!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jesus Helimachoptor. If I'd known when I was 15 that you were going to spend that much on an engagement ring, well, things might be have been veeerrry different :pac:

I got engaged when I was 18. The ring was a couple of hundred pound. I lost it before I got married! I since bought myself a replacement, it's a rock, and it's stunning (to me). But it was a bargain which I got it in a closing down sale in New York and I paid for it. I LOVE it, but I love rings, diamonds, rubies and sapphires. LOVE!

Ended spending more than that in the end so you'd have been on to a winner, but in tesco you'd have been luck to get a barn brack ring :D:D

In saying that, aslong as the woman likes the ring i think thats all that matters. A girl in work has a blue stone surrounded my mini diamonds, wouldnt be my cup of tea but she loves it and isnt a fan of the solitaire or 3 diamond ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barrykel

How much should a fello spend on an engagement ring im self employed
    so not much spare cash lying around, any comments or ideas would be good im thinking i could manage around 1000 euro or is that too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

€1000 is more than enough to get an engagement ring - and more than a lot of people have to spend.

but only spend what you can afford, would be my advice. and i mean that honestly and earnestly - the price and monetary value of the ring shouldn't be important to the woman you intend to give it to, it's the sentiment and feeling and symbolism behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

AGREE TOTALLY, spend what you can afford, the ring will be beautiful anyway, its what is represents is why we love them....got engaged last year, and still love the ring, we collected the ring together, if collecting together make a lovely lunch with champers, after lunch we headed to my parent to tell them, oh the memory still puts a smile on my face........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

thumper10 wrote: »
    AGREE TOTALLY, spend what you can afford, the ring will be beautiful anyway, its what is represents is why we love them....got engaged last year, and still love the ring, we collected the ring together, if collecting together make a lovely lunch with champers, after lunch we headed to my parent to tell them, oh the memory still puts a smile on my face........;)

I agree with the above. The ring should mean something - and that has nothing to do with how much it is worth materially. We didn't get an engagement ring, but chose our wedding rings together, and used a design that meant something to us - about our time together so far and our time together in the future. They didn't cost us much, look lovely, and remind us of all the wonderful times that we have had together and will have together in the future.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

artyeva wrote: »
    €1000 is more than enough to get an engagement ring - and more than a lot of people have to spend.

but only spend what you can afford, would be my advice. and i mean that honestly and earnestly - the price and monetary value of the ring shouldn't be important to the woman you intend to give it to, it's the sentiment and feeling and symbolism behind it.

Totally agree. I popped the question in February. We bought the ring the next day and all the rings regardless of price looked great. Jewelers will explain that you pay for clarity but this clarity is only noticeable under a microscope and the naked eye won't see.

Good luck and enjoy every moment of it! It's an amazing feeling when she says "yes"!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

barrykel wrote: »
    How much should a fello spend on an engagement ring im self employed
    so not much spare cash lying around, any comments or ideas would be good im thinking i could manage around 1000 euro or is that too little.

There is no rule you know.
    It is completely down to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

artyeva wrote: »
    the price and monetary value of the ring shouldn't be important to the woman you intend to give it to, it's the sentiment and feeling and symbolism behind it.

Personally I'd be far more concerned about the marriage than the ring but I wouldn't say the value of the ring shouldn't be important to another woman. I know a girl who would not consider putting less than 5 k on her finger and made sure her fiancee knew it. I don't think it's a charachtar flaw to want a big sparkly ring. Different strokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I know a girl who would not consider putting less than 5 k on her finger and made sure her fiancee knew it.

I'd get a ring with 5k engraved on it.
    Honestly why would the cost of the ring be such an issue that she would not get engaged unless it cost a stupid sum of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Personally I'd be far more concerned about the marriage than the ring but I wouldn't say the value of the ring shouldn't be important to another woman. I know a girl who would not consider putting less than 5 k on her finger and made sure her fiancee knew it. I don't think it's a charachtar flaw to want a big sparkly ring. Different strokes..

then i feel really really sorry for her fianceé. :( it's a piece of metal with/without a piece of rock in it. that should be far less important than the sentiment in which it's given and received.

i like sparkly things too, but i would never demand them from someone, especially from the person i was about to marry, regardless of whether they could afford it or not. if someone puts a price on the love of their partner, it smells a bit like insecurity to me. but as you say, different strokes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thread merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

kayos wrote: »
    Honestly why would the cost of the ring be such an issue that she would not get engaged unless it cost a stupid sum of money?

She never said she wouldn't get engaged otherwise. I reckon she knew she'd get her way so a plan B never came into it. Her reasoning was that she intended to be looking at it for the rest of her life so she wanted it to be beautiful. She's a lovely girl and they're very happily marrried now, so I wouldn't put her down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I know a girl who would not consider putting less than 5 k on her finger and made sure her fiancee knew it...
    Her reasoning was that she intended to be looking at it for the rest of her life so she wanted it to be beautiful..

Does not compute. Either she wanted a beautiful ring, or she wanted a ring with a certain minimum price tag, or it was both with a trade-off on one side. Beautiful rings can be had for a lot less than €5k, and rings costing a lot more can be ridiculous looking. If you are looking for a beautiful ring that suits the woman's hand, a minimum price shouldn't come into the equation unless you are confusing price tag with looks. Did she make sure her fiancé knew she wanted a beautiful ring (fair enough) or did she makr sure she wanted one above a certain price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My husband purchased a very pretty engagement ring for me when we got engaged, it was very expensive at the time and I do love it.

However, nowadays there is loads and loads of bling around, much of it fake but most of it looks good. I have seen girls arrive into work on a Monday after getting engaged, their rings would be lovely but there are girls (who are not engaged) sitting beside them wearing fake pieces that look every bit as impressive and more impressive in some cases.

I suppose if I was getting engaged now in these harsh economic times, I might be tempted to put a few grand into a house instead of a real diamond ring and purchase the real thing later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

i spent 1500 on my GFs!i earn 2000 a month and bargained it down from 2400 ina turkish place,ballincollig.cork:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we bought mine in a reputable jewellers for around two hundred, it was the perfect ring for me, combining my birth stone and diamonds and i loved it and it looked good.

thats all i wanted.. one that suited me that was practical to wear everyday (other rings i had growing up would be problematic catching on material/hair..etc) so i wanted something small and nice.

cost wise i could never love a ring if i knew my Fiancé had to pay for it because i 'demanded' or 'expected' he pay 1k or more. it's a ridiculous amount regardless of how 'good' a diamond it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

The same here, my ring was a couple of hundred. I made it clear to him that I did not want a ring more expensive than this , I prefer to put the money into other things. The ring to me is a symbol but the true meaning in the engagement is our commitment to each other.

I was engaged a few years ago and had the flashy diamond which I proudly showed off but in the end the relationship did'nt last and was never good.
    It showed me the real importance of finding someone who is your best friend and being confident enough to say "You are what I want", not a flashy diamond that puts you into debt.

I think it really is what you can afford. If he was a millionaire and bought me a ring for a couple of hundred I would'nt be too happy, but he is not, he was cut to a three day week last year and every day is tough like most people now.
    It is all relative.

Advertisement