Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Saw a meteorite while driving home at 7pm and looking towards the Highwood/Lough Arrow/Castlebaldwin area of SE Co. Sligo. Golden object falling from the sky then disappearing behind a hill. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zacchaeus

genie wrote: »
    Saw a meteorite while driving home at 7pm and looking towards the Highwood/Lough Arrow/Castlebaldwin area of SE Co. Sligo. Golden object falling from the sky then disappearing behind a hill. :)

Numerous mentions this evening on the Last Word by Matt Cooper. Might be worth listening back but do think most were sighted in the South East direction

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ford Prefect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dmurrayx

Hi there, I saw the same thing a large meteroite in the sky, travelling SW @7:02 pm, but I was in South Galway. It didn;t disappear on the horizon but looked to have burned out

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

just to clarify --when it's in the sky it's a meteor.Only if a piece lands on the earth does it become a meteorite.There have been some reports of sightings recently but the telling factor for the possibility of actually recovering meteorites is whether or not anybody heard anything.Sonic booms will occur close to the termination point of the meteor and other sounds are also possible such as crackling or fizzling if you are really close.

When people see a meteor falling just over the horizon it is generally hundreds of miles away.

edited to say if my adverts link was linking to my adverts and not someone elses you could see I'm selling some meteorites at the minute ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

I saw one this morning on my way into college...was coming out of Sandyford Industrial Estate south Dublin, heading towards The Goat when I saw a meteor shooting across the sky heading north(i think) but it disappeared coming through the atmosphere....savage! It was white in colour so looked like a shooting star, sorry dont know if theres a difference between them and meteors but it was very bright especially seen as it occurred after dawn when the sun had risen a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I saw three this morning in Donaghmede coming from the Dublin bay direction @ 8.30 ish they were golden in colour and very bright. My son actually spotted them he's three and according to him Buzz Lightyear was in the sky:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

just to clarify --when it's in the sky it's a meteor.Only if a piece lands on the earth does it become a meteorite.There have been some reports of sightings recently but the telling factor for the possibility of actually recovering meteorites is whether or not anybody heard anything.Sonic booms will occur close to the termination point of the meteor and other sounds are also possible such as crackling or fizzling if you are really close.

When people see a meteor falling just over the horizon it is generally hundreds of miles away.

edited to say if my adverts link was linking to my adverts and not someone elses you could see I'm selling some meteorites at the minute ;-)

Your selling some meteorites? Where did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ladypip wrote: »
    I saw three this morning in Donaghmede coming from the Dublin bay direction @ 8.30 ish they were golden in colour and very bright.

Those were aircraft on finals for Dublin airport. They appear very bright when viewed from head on as they trun over Howth Head onto finals as all landing lights and landing gear lights are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Your selling some meteorites? Where did you get them?

sorry for taking over a year to reply but I got them from various sources.Mostly nomads in the Sahara desert :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement