Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the broad question but if someone were to get an unlocked Iphone or similar smart phone what would be the best network cost wise and signal wise?

It would be mainly used for txts, some calls, FB, msn , email etc. May be used to look at the odd website but this will more than likely be using home network or office network.

Thanks folks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

cheeky bump

anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

HI, thanks for the reply,

I am currently on Meteor payg. I top up by twenty euro a month and get free any networks texts. I would rather keep the free any network texts.I could send up to 40 txts on somedays and sometimes less than ten per day. I am mainly a texter esp during the day when in the office.

I genneraly call when I have the credit to do so. I sometimes top up by the odd fiver during the month when I need to make a call but this is rare.

Most people I call are on meteor and o2. very few on voda and 1 or 2 on three.

I would prefer to saty on payg but would be open to a contract if the offer was right.

thanks frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Just so some people get the wrong message, literally!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Frag Sligo is in your Sig, where will you be using it, best network in dublin mighten be the best in sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 offtheball2

Well I'm with Meteor bill pay and I have no real issues apart from roaming. I was recently in Scotland and it didn't change over automatically or even did pick up on manual wich was a real pain. So watch out for the little things.

been meaning to change sig as in dublin now.......

The Three PAYG plan does not look too bad for 20 euro per month.......

frAg

You can take the boy out of Sligo but you'll never take Sligo out of the boy ; )

That 20 euro offer is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Apparently it's dropped from 100mb to 50mb. Heard that from an annoyed friend who got caught out by them changing it after the new year (and not updating their website)

There's an awful lot of messing with the vodafone option, using different apn's to get charged differently, sign up for 360, certain services not allowed, it really seem like a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The availability of EDGE on O2, Meteor and eMobile makes a huge difference if you've a smartphone.

Vodafone only have GPRS or 3G/HSPA.
    3 seem to have a similar setup because they roam on Vodafone's network if you're in 2G coverage areas.

While Meteor/eMobile and O2 have the full range of GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSPA.

EDGE makes a massive difference in areas of weak 3G coverage e.g. if you're in a building you will often find that you can pick up EDGE but not 3G because the 2100mhz signals don't penetrate buildings as well as the 900mhz carriers used for EDGE.

While EDGE is not as fast as 3G, it's light years ahead of GPRS and it's quite easy to tweet, browse the web (a bit more slowly) etc on an EDGE connection.

However, if you're stuck on a pure 2G GPRS connection with Vodafone or 3 Mobile you'd hardly be able to send much more than a tweet. It's really far too slow.

That being said, Vodafone do have very widespread 3G coverage, it's more that when you're in buildings / dodgy spots you can't pick it up while you'll get perfect 2G GSM/GPRS.

For me, the lack of EDGE is a massive deal-breaker at the moment. 3G needs to become available on 900mhz before it will have the same kind of universal coverage and I'm not really prepared to wait for several years while that happens.

In the meantime, I'll stick with O2 or Meteor for smartphones.

I wouldn't move to o2/meteor/vodafone/emobile due to their lack of 3G coverage, i'm very happy with my 3G coverage countrywide. Edge would do my head in, it's just to slow. Tried it won't go back.

Comreg is trying to stall the 900 Mhz again going by the latest submissions from the networks. Don't see what the problem is, it'll drive down the cost of 3 calls when they do as it'll cut out some of the Vodafone roaming charges they have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

I wouldn't move to o2/meteor/vodafone/emobile due to their lack of 3G coverage, i'm very happy with my 3G coverage countrywide. Edge would do my head in, it's just to slow. Tried it won't go back.

Comreg is trying to stall the 900 Mhz again going by the latest submissions from the networks. Don't see what the problem is, it'll drive down the cost of 3 calls when they do as it'll cut out some of the Vodafone roaming charges they have to pay.

Are you saying comreg is stopping 3g from being delivered on the 900Mhz frequency??
    I'm just trying to get a grasp on all this...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Solair wrote: »
    The availability of EDGE on O2, Meteor and eMobile makes a huge difference if you've a smartphone.

3 seem to have a similar setup because they roam on Vodafone's network if you're in 2G coverage areas.

EDGE makes a massive difference in areas of weak 3G coverage e.g. if you're in a building you will often find that you can pick up EDGE but not 3G because the 2100mhz signals don't penetrate buildings as well as the 900mhz carriers used for EDGE.

While EDGE is not as fast as 3G, it's light years ahead of GPRS and it's quite easy to tweet, browse the web (a bit more slowly) etc on an EDGE connection.

However, if you're stuck on a pure 2G GPRS connection with Vodafone or 3 Mobile you'd hardly be able to send much more than a tweet. It's really far too slow.

That being said, Vodafone do have very widespread 3G coverage, it's more that when you're in buildings / dodgy spots you can't pick it up while you'll get perfect 2G GSM/GPRS.

For me, the lack of EDGE is a massive deal-breaker at the moment. 3G needs to become available on 900mhz before it will have the same kind of universal coverage and I'm not really prepared to wait for several years while that happens.

QFT

What other posters are not understanding is thus: yes EDGE/2g sucks and we don't want to use it. BUT, it's signal propagates better. Even in an urban area with strong 3g coverage, if you are indoors with thick walls you can lose your 3g connection, and fall back onto edge/2g. For me last year, the problem was the switching BACK to 3g after re-establishing connection. This simply did not work on 3's network. The devices (milestone, g1, and desire) would show a 3g/H icon, but all network traffic would fail until airplane on+off was done. After months of this I switched to meteor (and had even worse problem with them for several months lol, but they fixed it in the end).

If 3 have fixed their network then good stuff, as they are cheapest :D All networks suck tbh, but I find meteor has worked perfectly for about 5 months now (5 bars+hsdpa always in dublin city centre, 5-6Mb/s). FWIW the "even worse problem" with meteor was for several months I got the random "no connection" appearing, and losing even ability to receive phonecalls (epic fail, but gj fixing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photonirvana

The terms and conditions for 3Pay say, under "General": "You can only use your 3Pay mobile phone for internet surfing in 3G coverage areas."

http://www.three.ie/terms/3pay_terms.htm

Does this seriously mean that with 3pay you can NOT use GPRS? But you can use both 3G and GPRS with billpay?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

The terms and conditions for 3Pay say, under "General": "You can only use your 3Pay mobile phone for internet surfing in 3G coverage areas."

http://www.three.ie/terms/3pay_terms.htm

Does this seriously mean that with 3pay you can NOT use GPRS? But you can use both 3G and GPRS with billpay?

No, I'm on 3pay & if I go out of 3G coverage, it roams onto vodafone's network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

No, I'm on 3pay & if I go out of 3G coverage, it roams onto vodafone's network.

I've actually noticed that when I'm switched over to Vodafone's 2G network I get all sorts of connection errors when I try and use data (twitter etc). I'm with 3 bill pay but will be cancelling my contract tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

3 have 96% 3G coverage, what Id love to know what the other networks coverage rate is solely for 3G, as personally I think EDGE and GPRS is stink. Working out and about on the road I found 02 and vodafone to run on EDGE and GPRS more than 70% of the time, making there broadband coverage claims hugely exagerated.

A person sticking with Meteor for their smartfones based internet coverage, I would say is someone who doesnt move around alot.

For me Id rank them

3 (by a long shot)
    O2
    Vodafone
    Meteor.

You must have missed the bit about 3's network not actually working for smartphones? How the hell can you rank them #1?

Meteor may be more expensive but at least their network works. I'm mostly in Dublin, but when I do go back to the sticks only METEOR has reception there as well. So it's a mixed bag when it comes to rural reception issues. 3 certainly did not work for me before in Dublin city center (data constantly dropping).

edit: lol just read your post, pretty clear you did not read my other one above about how EDGE/2G network is necessary. 3s ****ty solution about piggybacking on vodafone is riddled with problems. Tell me why 3 was constantly falling back to "roaming" in Dublin city center if they have 96% coverage?

edit2: look at 3s forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367, look at all the people complaining about their internet "dropping" and so on. This is your "best network"? It's good for someone that doesn't actually want to use internet on their smartphone sure.

jeez should have kept my mouth shut as more confused now........:D

Well as it happens the Iphone wont be forthcoming anytime soon as expected so will have plenty of time to research your posts,

Thanks for the replies

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

EDGE is not too slow for normal internet use, i use it for radio streaming general internet browsing, and email, as a result i find my battery lasting much longer.

on three, the phone was switching between 3's 3g net and vodafone 2g, thus resulting in faster battery drain. an iphone running on mainly 2g will last a lot longer ( battery wise) than a phone constantly running on 3g, or switching between 2g/3g.

all networks will have different signal quality in different areas.

so far the best network that i have used an iphone on 3g was vodafone, far superior and flawless operation than three. ( and i have tried both).

o2's 3g network doesent seem to be as good as vodafones but, i run mainly on 2g, which suits, as i get better battery life..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

srsly78 wrote: »
    You must have missed the bit about 3's network not actually working for smartphones? How the hell can you rank them #1?

Meteor may be more expensive but at least their network works. I'm mostly in Dublin, but when I do go back to the sticks only METEOR has reception there as well. So it's a mixed bag when it comes to rural reception issues. 3 certainly did not work for me before in Dublin city center (data constantly dropping).

edit: lol just read your post, pretty clear you did not read my other one above about how EDGE/2G network is necessary. 3s ****ty solution about piggybacking on vodafone is riddled with problems. Tell me why 3 was constantly falling back to "roaming" in Dublin city center if they have 96% coverage?

edit2: look at 3s forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367, look at all the people complaining about their internet "dropping" and so on. This is your "best network"? It's good for someone that doesn't actually want to use internet on their smartphone sure.

I've about 4 android phones (lost count at this stage) and an android tab at one stage, 3 dongles and 2 other smart phones all contract handsets running without any issues on 3. Anyway, I covered the areas of Longford, Roscommon, Westmeath, Offaly south tipp and galway daily.

Outside of Dublin (there is life) and funny enough at my house 3 is not the strongest of the lot but on a whole, over all these areas listed above, it is far ahead which is proven in the sales figures for the dongles also their NBS increased their 3G coverage.

Before you make the claim meteor is the best solely because it works at your most used location well thats just silly and biased. Oh and the iPhone, assuming thats the "issue" is not the only smart phone on the market, its not even the smartest phone. Imho its a simple overated, overpriced fashion item.

What are you talking about the iphone for? It affects all devices on 3. If you drive around a lot you probably don't notice it, problem mainly happens when you go indoors (thick walls) and device switches to 2g. This has been a known problem for almost a year, and they do nothing about it. If it wasn't for this, 3 would be a great network. Do you honestly NEVER have to toggle airplane mode on/off? I had to do it all the time with 3, and it drove me up the wall. Device won't even indicate that there's a problem, connection indicator seems normal but no data will send or receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

What are you talking about the iphone for? It affects all devices on 3. If you drive around a lot you probably don't notice it, problem mainly happens when you go indoors (thick walls) and device switches to 2g. This has been a known problem for almost a year, and they do nothing about it. If it wasn't for this, 3 would be a great network. Do you honestly NEVER have to toggle airplane mode on/off? I had to do it all the time with 3, and it drove me up the wall. Device won't even indicate that there's a problem, connection indicator seems normal but no data will send or receive.

+1

It's not a problem, it's meant to switch to 2G. Until Comreg give 3 access to 900Mhz spectrum it can't be avoided. It's not a fault with 3's network it's limitation of the Technology & Frequencies currently available to them.
    If your on bill data should be working over 2G if it's not you need to let tech support now so they can enable it on your account.
    It does work I use it all over the country. You don't need to toggle airplane on and off, you just need to select 3G in the settings and then select automatic and the phone will look after the rest. The iphone also won't switch from 2G to 3G if there is an open data connection. Honestly I never toggle airplane mode now that I know how it all works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Best network definitely depends on location.have been with vf,meteor,o2 and am now with 3.in rural meath 3 has best broadband and best 3g on smartphones.also has best signals on phone every place I've been so far.helps also that its cheapest too!

Advertisement