Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's not a problem, it's meant to switch to 2G. Until Comreg give 3 access to 900Mhz spectrum it can't be avoided. It's not a fault with 3's network it's limitation of the Technology & Frequencies currently available to them.
    If your on bill data should be working over 2G if it's not you need to let tech support now so they can enable it on your account.
    It does work I use it all over the country. You don't need to toggle airplane on and off, you just need to select 3G in the settings and then select automatic and the phone will look after the rest. The iphone also won't switch from 2G to 3G if there is an open data connection. Honestly I never toggle airplane mode now that I know how it all works.

You aren't understanding my posts. I worked as a mobile software engineer over the last 2 years, so used loads of devices (blackberries, iphones, android, nokias) on loads of different networks. I do know how to configure the devices correctly. With different sims + different devices it is easy to find out if a problem is caused by device or network or software etc.

On 3 the devices will switch from 2g back to 3g, and all seems to be ok, however no data will send/receive and there are no error indications. TCP connections will simply time out. I personally had this problem, and loads of other people have the problem. "you don't need to toggle airplane mode": Your alternative is exactly the same. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MANUALLY SWITCH NETWORKS, on other networks "it just works". Note I'm talking about Dublin City Centre here. It's great that it works for you guys outside Dublin, but surely the ****ing thing should work in the capital too? Maybe some kind of network congestion breaks the 2g->3g handover? I dunno, and 3 won't even acknowledge the problem.

If you think I'm some kind of rabid anti-3 poaster then think again. Other networks have their own problems, O2 are useless port-blocking ****s, Meteor had a flakey network until a few months ago, dunno about vodafone but their prices were lousy when I checked.

Practical implications of the network issue:
    I am used to emails popping up on my phone just like text messages, also I am used to having google chat and skype running. With 3 you cannot rely on any of these to receive messages/calls because the internet is probably dead until manually reset. End result = taking phone out of pocket every 5 minutes and testing internet, then resetting airplane mode or network. I paid a lot of money for smartphone and dataplan, and I expect to be able to use it as intended, 3 were not able to do this.

See the response from 3 about this issue: "can you receive calls and text? well then it's working fine!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why don't I have this problem in the city center? Were both using the same phone (iphone4?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I don't have a (lol) iphone4 and I don't use 3. My experience with them was from jan-apr 2010, but I see lots of people reporting the same symptoms on various devices these days. It's a wierd problem, if you are lucky and live near a tower you might not experience it. When wandering about town, going into shops and pubs etc I found that it would drop internetz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

srsly78 wrote: »
    On 3 the devices will switch from 2g back to 3g, and all seems to be ok, however no data will send/receive and there are no error indications. TCP connections will simply time out. I personally had this problem, and loads of other people have the problem. "you don't need to toggle airplane mode": Your alternative is exactly the same. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MANUALLY SWITCH NETWORKS, on other networks "it just works". Note I'm talking about Dublin City Centre here. It's great that it works for you guys outside Dublin, but surely the ****ing thing should work in the capital too? Maybe some kind of network congestion breaks the 2g->3g handover? I dunno, and 3 won't even acknowledge the problem.

I've also experienced this problem but it's rare. In fact the only circumstances I experience this are after crossing the border from the north where the 2G signal won't get data enabled and I have to enforce an airplane off/on. I put that down to moving from foreign UK roaming to internal VF roaming.

I can go from one end of my office to the other and back where the connection moves from 3G to 2G and back again without issue.

Advertisement