Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me!

• 18-01-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

I was trying to open something earlier on my laptop and went to 'open with' and chose Adobe Reader and then all the icons changed to the Adobe symbol and won't open because they're not compatible with Adobe Reader!

Please tell me how to fix this and go easy on me! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Right click on the file you want to change what to use to open with. Select Properties.

In the General (default) tab there should be a button beside "open with" called "change" click on that. Select your program. Tick the "Always use this program for this type" down the bottom when you've made your selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I'm using Windows 7, so I can't find what you suggested?

The files that changed to the adobe symbol. Right click on one of them and do the steps above.

Here's how to change the default file type (or what program you want to use to open a certain file) in detail.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/default-program-windows-7.htm
    Here's How:
    Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type associations in the search box after clicking the start button. Choose Make a file type always open in a specific program from the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

Click on the Programs link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Click on the Default Programs icon and then click on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link. Then proceed to Step 4.

Click on the Make a file type always open in a specific program link under the Default Programs heading.

In the Set Associations window, scroll down the list until you see the file extension that you want to change the default program for.

Click on the file extension to highlight it, once you've found the one you're looking for.

Click the Change program... button above the scroll bar.

The Open With dialog box should appear.

Look through the options in the Recommended Programs area and choose the application that you want to open the file extension with when you double-click on the particular kind of file on your computer.

Note: Chances are, the applications listed under Recommended Programs will contain the most applicable programs for this file type but be sure to look at the applications under Other Programs. You may need to click the v to expand the list of these programs.

Note: Click Browse... to search through your computer for any program not listed that you'd like to use.

Click the OK button on the Open With window. Windows 7 will refresh the list of file associations to show the new default program to open this type of file.

Click the Close button at the bottom of the Set Associations window. You may also close the Control Panel window if it's still open.

From this point forward, when you double-click on any file with this particular file extension, the program you associated it with in Step 7 will launch and load the particular file.

Important: Whatever program used to automatically open when these types of files were launched will still open these types of files. To use another program, you'll just need to start the program manually and then browse your computer for the particular file.

I've tried that and am getting nowhere, I think it's how every program tries to open with Adobe Reader, is there a way I could remove that?

I just unistalled Adobe Reader and now everything's as it should be, thanks anyway though :)

• Advertisement

I've tried that and am getting nowhere, I think it's how every program tries to open with Adobe Reader, is there a way I could remove that?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

Wait, do you mean in your Internet Browser?

If that's the case it depends on which one you're using.

Firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/managing%20file%20types

Internet Explorer: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2251548

Don't think Chrome asks you to open files as it can only save them to your machine.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement