Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!!! About repeating 6th year?

• 18-01-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi, i wanted to know if someone could explain this to me im going to repeat 6th year again, and i plan on doing medicine at rcsi and i thought i knew what i had to do in order to get in, but now i am confused. i thought that when i dmo my leaving cert the first time that if i passed english irish maths and french (my foreign object) that i would not have to repeat these subjects again next year. Because i have to pass them once but a few people have told me that thats wrong that i have to do english irish maths french and to pass them again in order to do medicine. Can someone please explain to me how it works?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

For medicine you must count subjects for both points and entry requirements from the one sitting.

So if you want to do medicine and are going to repeat you have to do them all again

It's a special rule for medicine which does not apply to other courses. For other courses you can only use one sitting for points purposes but you may use a different sitting for entry requirements (eg irish, english, maths, french)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

If you don't mind me asking, why are you repeating?

It's not something to take lightly. Remember, the English course next year will be different, you'll have to do the whole subject from scratch in one year,not easy let me tell you. And irish might be different. There's a whole load of variables to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

the English course next year will be different, you'll have to do the whole subject from scratch in one year,not easy let me tell you.

While some of the poets will change for 2012, there will be a lot of overlap between English 2011 and 2012. For example, Hamlet is on 2011 and 2012. Many of the comparative texts on 2011 are on 2012. Four of the poets from 2011, namely, Boland, Frost, Kavanagh, Rich are on the 2012 syllabus. The syllabus for both years can be viewed at www.education.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Considering repeating the l.C in 2012 for primary teaching, must all 7 subjects be re sat or can some be counted from 2011 L.C ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Dude...you haven't even sat your HPAT or your Leaving Cert...why panic about repeating when you have the next 4 months to get it first time round? Focus on round one then if all fails focus on the repeating. Don't give up already when you havent even sat one exam yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Considering repeating the l.C in 2012 for primary teaching, must all 7 subjects be re sat or can some be counted from 2011 L.C ?

Your points must come from one year, whichever one is better. Your subject requirements can come from a combination of years. E.g. if you pass French this year and don't want to do it next year you don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 zoolander006

Your points must come from one year, whichever one is better. Your subject requirements can come from a combination of years. E.g. if you pass French this year and don't want to do it next year you don't have to.

yeah but does that apply for medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 zoolander006

For medicine you must count subjects for both points and entry requirements from the one sitting.

So if you want to do medicine and are going to repeat you have to do them all again

It's a special rule for medicine which does not apply to other courses. For other courses you can only use one sitting for points purposes but you may use a different sitting for entry requirements (eg irish, english, maths, french)

ok so what your saying is that if i do maths, french, english, irish this year for medicine and pass them,i still have to do them again next year even though i passed them last year and i dont mean carry on the points i just mean carry on the subject yeah because i thought it used to be were if you passed them in one year that i wouldn't have to repeat them again next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yes. You can't combine 2 leaving certs in any way. If you pass English this year and fail it next year, you won't get in. Also, be aware that English, Irish and maths will be vastly different next year. They changed the curriculum for Irish and Maths. If I were you I would stop planning to repeat and work hard, next year is a very bad year to try to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

OP, keep in mind that you can do a degree in another area and apply later through the graduate entry program. Pricey but achievable. For that, you generally need a good result from your undergrad degree and you have to sit the GAMSAT (graduate equivalent of HPAT). Google "graduate entry medicine", see if it's a more realistic path for you. If you're needing to up your LC points by more than 20-30, repeating may not necessarily be the best thing to do. You will only improve your points if the reasons underlying your potentially poor performance this year will change significantly next year (eg bereavement, dropping a particularly unsuitable subject, some vast change in your ability to motivate yourself, access to grinds etc). Good luck this year in any case.

http://www.gamsat-ie.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ok so what your saying is that if i do maths, french, english, irish this year for medicine and pass them,i still have to do them again next year even though i passed them last year and i dont mean carry on the points i just mean carry on the subject yeah because i thought it used to be were if you passed them in one year that i wouldn't have to repeat them again next year?

Exactly. All points and requirements for Medicine must be taken from one year. For all other degree courses points must be taken from one year but requirements can be taken from any year.

The requirement that you took all subjects from one sitting for Medicine came in about 2 years ago.

Advertisement