Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr is doing my head in

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks my .22lr (CZ 452) is doing my head in and I could use some advice.

Basically the bore and receiver are not aligned so mounting any type of scope on it is a nightmare as I run out of windage adjustments. The last scope I had on it I needed a sliver of metal between the receiver and mount to adjust it enough get on zero.

I now have a Bushnell Elite, a set of decent mounts with aluminium rail and same thing. Run out of windage trying to zero. Sliver of metal wont work this time either as the mounts fit the rail too well to get anything between them.

Bought a laser bore sighter to see just how bad it was and have tried everything I can think of to fix it. Swapped mounts front and back, switched the side I was tightening the mounts onto and all that jazz

Unless someone can think of something which has evaded me I am going to have to get windage adjustable mounts.

So any suggestions or recommendations of good 30mm windage adjustable mounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hunter91

I have a set of windage adjustable mounts sitting at home in my gun case but there 1 inch unfortunately, but the make is 'millet' and there all windage adjustable as far as i know good solid mount as far as i can make out and they come in all the sizes and to fit the different rails, etc

Good luck getting the .22 sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Have you contacted CZ? Was the gun purchased new?

This appears to be something that they should and would take care of. Unless, it is the fault of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

+1 on the Millet Windage adjustable mounts I've got a set on my own 452 and never had any problems with them. Rock solid once you have them mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i never seen or heard of this problem before but
    i what if
    did you see if the mounts are square when standing on the rail square up of the gun like
    if not could you file the dovetail on your mounts to kick it over to one side either to make it sqaure or slightly kick it over just enough on the front or back

or try get a longer grub screw for your mounts to get the sliver of metal in
    like in on the left on the back and on the right up front to twist the sight or visa versa pending which way you want to go

or check see if your rail is twisted maybe you could file this dovetail down to get a twist either front or back pending how much of course but ull know by how far its out when zeroin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

What part of the country are you in?
    You could try my Wheeler scope alignment kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yi4icHsW8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks my .22lr (CZ 452) is doing my head in and I could use some advice.

Basically the bore and receiver are not aligned so mounting any type of scope on it is a nightmare as I run out of windage adjustments. The last scope I had on it I needed a sliver of metal between the receiver and mount to adjust it enough get on zero.

I now have a Bushnell Elite, a set of decent mounts with aluminium rail and same thing. Run out of windage trying to zero. Sliver of metal wont work this time either as the mounts fit the rail too well to get anything between them.

Bought a laser bore sighter to see just how bad it was and have tried everything I can think of to fix it. Swapped mounts front and back, switched the side I was tightening the mounts onto and all that jazz

Unless someone can think of something which has evaded me I am going to have to get windage adjustable mounts.

So any suggestions or recommendations of good 30mm windage adjustable mounts?

Gunsmith?
    Picatinny rail may solve it.

Although as others said, I'd send rifle back to dealer as it is a basic flaw in the rifle.

Windage rings belonging to me are in a certain gunsmith, suit a 30mm scope either

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Another option would be
    http://www.airgundepot.com/leapers-11mm-dovetail-to-weaver-adapter.html
    Coupled with these
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-zee-signature-30mm-rifle-scope-mount-rings-for-weaver-bases.html

Edit- Forgot to add, I presume you couldn't be arsed going to all the hassle, but it is a manufacturers fault, and they would probably replace if you said you just hadn't realised it til now. I know of a guy who's 2nd hand Remmy had misaligned holes for the mounts. Was never twigged while windage adjustable mounts were on it, only when a rail was put on. Remmy replaced. Good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If the rifle is still under warranty I would send it back.
    If not I would probably take it to a good gunsmith rather than start messing with the rail.
    When you have the scope centered how far off to the side is it on the target
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi Vegeta
    If the dovetail is off then try to get the rifle replaced as it will never be right and you'll never be happy with it.

Here's a couple of tips to try out.

Well first off Sportsmatch do windage and elevation adjustable mounts not cheap about £70. If it looks to be an elevation problem, see below, I have a set of the elevation adjustable mounts here.
    • I found that by putting the dovetail screws of the mounts on the other side of the dovetail gave me less offset. 6" right one way and 1" right with them turned around, with a centered retical.
    • Put both mounts on the same dovetail but turn one with the mounts screws the other way. Then check that both mount are still in allignment they should be.
    • Centre your scopes reticle both ways and mount it, count clicks or see here. Bore sight a target at say 25y by looking through the bore at the target and then see where the scopes Point Of Aim is. Do it again with the mounts reversed and see where the POA is. That will tell you if the dovetails are out as the POA should be somewhere in the same ball park.
    • Try putting one mount one way and the other mount the other way round.
    • Make sure you have not got your scope pointing up or down a lot as you can run out of windage clicks quickly. This is because your at the top or bottom of the scopes optical range even though you may still have the maximum number of click available to you
      This image shows what I mean, but it shows the elevation difference.
      reticaloffsetimage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks thanks a million for all the advice, the rifle is years old (so returning it is not an option) and as I said, in the past, it was not really a problem with a cheap scope and ring set up as I could make it work.

I'll take pictures tonight as it paints a much clearer picture. This problem is more common than you'd think too. Brother's Remington suffers from it also

Thinking now the only thing that will fix it are 30mm windage adjustable mounts for a picatinny type base (not exactly picatinny bases but same dimensions) Same as below without the horizontal lines, if ya get me.

p116609z.jpg

So can anyone confirm if millet angle loc mounts will fit bases like the ones above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

An option in my head would be to take it to a gunsmith, have the problem looked at. If the issue is with the thread on the barrel, it could be cut, re-chambered and re-threaded and then installed in the correct orientation to the action. If it's the thread within the action, then that could be trued and the barrel reinstalled in place. That's what I would think to do anyway, if I were you.

Hey folks thanks a million for all the advice, the rifle is years old (so returning it is not an option) and as I said, in the past, it was not really a problem with a cheap scope and ring set up as I could make it work.

I'll take pictures tonight as it paints a much clearer picture. This problem is more common than you'd think too. Brother's Remington suffers from it also

Thinking now the only thing that will fix it are 30mm windage adjustable mounts for a picatinny type base (not exactly picatinny bases but same dimensions) Same as below without the horizontal lines, if ya get me.

p116609z.jpg

So can anyone confirm if millet angle loc mounts will fit bases like the ones above?

Not able to remember if CZ have integral mounts like a sako, or mounts like a Remmy.

For a Remmy the problem could be solved by moving the rear screw/bolt hole rearwards and centred.

I saw that done to solve an issue like that before.
    Rifle put in a mill and drilled and tapped.

Windage rings would also solve as you centre your scope even though mounts are offset.

An option in my head would be to take it to a gunsmith, have the problem looked at. If the issue is with the thread on the barrel, it could be cut, re-chambered and re-threaded and then installed in the correct orientation to the action. If it's the thread within the action, then that could be trued and the barrel reinstalled in place. That's what I would think to do anyway, if I were you.

I have bounced it around in my head and no question re-machining the rifle is probably the "proper" solution (simply re-aligning the bases would do it I'd say). It is a lot of work and cost when the windage mounts would solve it quicker and maybe cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have bounced it around in my head and no question re-machining the rifle is probably the "proper" solution (simply re-aligning the bases would do it I'd say). It is a lot of work and cost when the windage mounts would solve it quicker and maybe cheaper.

Aye, it might be a bit much, but personally I'd like the security of knowing it had been done that way, gives me freedom of choice with regard to mounts and such too, of course, wouldn't like to be stuck with any in particular. Might be worth checking what it'd cost anyway. If it weren't too bad, might be an option.

Not able to remember if CZ have integral mounts like a sako, or mounts like a Remmy.

They have a dovetail as standard but I had mine drilled and tapped with bases like the ones in the picture above to mount the Bushnell as it came in a set of mounts already.

Aye, it might be a bit much, but personally I'd like the security of knowing it had been done that way, gives me freedom of choice with regard to mounts and such too, of course, wouldn't like to be stuck with any in particular. Might be worth checking what it'd cost anyway. If it weren't too bad, might be an option.

Yeah might take a road trip to get it sorted once and for all.

If I could get a set of those millet mounts they seem like a decent solution too

Decisions, decisions.

They have a dovetail as standard but I had mine drilled and tapped with bases like the ones in the picture above to mount the Bushnell as it came in a set of mounts already.

Ok, windage rings could be the easiest fix. The 1mm or so is easily achieved
    prod_Angle-LocSteelExtensionRings.jpg

Ok, windage rings could be the easiest fix. The 1mm or so is easily achieved

That's a good point, I'd want to check just how adjustable these windage adjustable mounts actually are, as the problem is bad. I'd need a bit more than 1mm, maybe 2 or 2.5 :(

Do these guys ship internationally does anyone know
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-angle-loc-weaver-style-smooth-30mm-rings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

They have a dovetail as standard but I had mine drilled and tapped with bases....
    Might the holes that were drilled maybe misaligned with the bore?
    Might be worth borrowing a set of 30mm mounts that fit the 452 dovetail to see if that lines up.

dos29 wrote: »
    Might the holes that were drilled maybe misaligned with the bore?
    Might be worth borrowing a set of 30mm mounts that fit the 452 dovetail to see if that lines up.

They would be misaligned with the bore yeah, because they were aligned with the dovetail when being installed.
    I never really knew what was out of alignment until the weekend just gone (always thought it was the old cheap mounts). If i had known earlier then I could have used the installation of the bases to iron that issue out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement