Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with building new pc

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi,
    just finished building my first pc, all seemed to be working, had operating system installed ect. then when i turned it off and tried to turn it on again there was no output to the monitor. motherboard seems to be getting full power, all case fans ect still working, but there is no signal goign to the monitor. the monitor is registering that its attached to something, but stays in power saving mode. any thoughts on this?
    All input appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Does the mainboard have a built in graphics card?

If it does and you are also using a seperate graphics card, you could try disabling the onboard card. Maybe it's defaulting to the onboard card on bootup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheW

i do have a seperate graphics card but it isnt installed yet as i was waiting to get the drivers for so im trying to run it off the onboard vga

Ah, perhaps the monitor itself is set on DVI or HDMI.
    There might be a mode switch to cycle thru the different modes on the monitor.

What type connection on the graphics card were you using to connect before, white DVI or blue VGA?

yea im connecting through the motherboards on board vga and ive taken the monitor and hooked up to my laptop via the vga so its not a problem with the monitor or the cable

Oh, strange one, yeah.

I'd go ahead and fit the graphics card and connect the monitor to it.
    The new card should override the onboard and become the default one.
    That should get you back in operation again.

• Advertisement

tried that, but the grphics card needs drivers so doesnt work either

Advertisement