Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allez Ola Ole - Paris 2011

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Decided to start a training log from my attempt in Paris 2011, kind of struggling for motivation at the moment, so thought this my help me to focus and commit.

Plan was originally to aim for London bud didn't get in (again) so went with a different plan and since Paris is only a week early decided to go for it. Not sure what my time goal is but more than likely it will probably be low 3hrs, sub 3 would be nice but the weather in December and a hamstring niggle meant I done very little running prior to xmas

Coming off a pretty successful running year in 2009, the main target for the year was a sub 3 marathon and achieved that twice Berlin (2:56:06) and Dublin (2:59:05). Along the way I also got the following PB's

Half - 82:45, improvement of 5mins
    10k - 37:10, knocked 1min off
    5mls - 29:27, shaved of 35secs
    5k - 17:56, improved by 90 secs
    1m - 5:17, down by 18 secs

The general training plan is to stick with what worked last year which was low mileage (averaged 30mls per week in a 20 week programme), aim for 5 20m+ runs, spinning, Pilates, core work and sensible eating. I found in previous marathons that I struggled in the last 5/6 mls so I decided to focus on putting in longer runs and finishing them strong. In previous attempts I followed high mileage plans but it lead to a lot of injuries but it did get me to pb of 3:01 in 2006, followed by 3:02 in 2007

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

be a good marathon to do...paris is a great city!
    you might be surprised how you will get on in training also and the target may just be a PB and more....best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Training officially commenced on December 30th, have done the following so far

December 30th 5.23mls in 37:42

January 1st 6.36mls in 44:50

January 3rd 8.66mls in 63:54

January 5th Spinning & Core work

Janaury 8th BHAA Tymon Park 4mls CC 27:30 (2 min improvement on 2010, pleasantly surprised)

Janaury 9th 10.08mls in 76:27

January 12th Spinning & Core work

January 13th 6.3mls in 43:30 (Treadmill)

January 15th Aware 10k in 40:32
    Dissappointed with time had expected to break 40mins, but conditions were tough (very windy). Legs felt heavy and really struggled in the last 2k. Splits were
    M1 -6:11
    M2 - 6:27
    M3 - 6:31
    M4 - 6:56
    M5 - 7:01
    M6 - 6:43
    .13ml - 41secs.
    I had the course slightly short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Best of luck caprica, that's great running off low mileage. What core work do you do in those sessions?

Can't believe that didn't win the eurovision last year either ;-)

Thanks Asimonov. Very happy with last years efforts, as I said high mileage had got me close to sub 3 but it also led to a lot of injuries, so for 2010 I took a different approach. I think the two spinning classes a week plus the pilates really helped, I put a lot of effort in to those classes.

For core work, I do the plank, the plank with pilates elements, supermans, and medicine ball work (forget the name of it). I am going change it round when I start my new gym programme next week.

Allez Ola Olle should have won last year, it's really catchy. I think it may have been the official french world cup song but not certain.

Sunday January 16th
    On Sunday morning, legs felt heavy so decided to hold of on the run till later afternoon. Target was for 12mls. Took the slightly easy option and decided to avoid the hills so the route was out Chesterfield avenue and back in the North road.

Ran for 12mls, felt good, was slightly slower than planned but I was more interested in hitting the mile target. Splits were

M1 -7:28
    M2 - 7:37
    M3 - 7:45
    M4 - 7:24
    M5 - 7:32
    M6 - 7:53
    M7 - 7:49
    M8 - 7:44
    M9 - 7:37
    M10 - 7:42
    M11 - 7:54
    M12 - 7:01
    0.27ml - 1:33 ml pace 5:51

Mls 12.27, Time 92:59 Avg ml 7:35

Felt better than expected, was able to throw in a slightly faster last mile, was windy running out Chesterfield ave.

Monday January 17th
    Headed to gym, for Circuit Training class, spinning, some weights and pilates. Had never done circuit training class before, hamstrings were tight at the end of it and as a result found spinning tougher than expected. I think it was the that we done squats with weights that caused the problem

Tuesday January 18th
    Hamstrings quite sore and a bit uncomfortable to walk, surfed the net and started the training log instead

Wednesday January 19th
    Still not 100%, skipped spinning but went to the gym and done a leisurely half hour on the stationery bike.

Don't feel to bad today, will hit gym in a while for a light run, not sure if I will run BHAA on saturday,

• Advertisement

Thursday January 20th
    Hamstring still felt sore from Monday but decided to hit the treadmill and see how I got on. Done 4mls in 30 mins and felt ok followed by a bit of extra strectching.

Friday January 21st
    My usual day off, went out for a few pints, had more than planned.

Saturday January 22nd
    Didn't feel to bad so decided to do the BHAA Eircom race. Very happy with my race, hamstings felt fine, got home in 31:45. Splits were

M1 - 6:20
    M2 - 6:21
    M3 - 6:27
    M4 - 6:23
    M5 - 6:07

Felt in the previous two races that I had went out a bit to fast so decided to hold back a bit at the start. Settled into a nice rhythm and had the aim of keeping my splits fairly even and to throw in a faster last mile. In the last mile passed 5/6 people. Enjoyed the course it was pretty solid underfoot unlike the previous race.

Aimifor tomorrow is 13/14 mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck Caprica with ur log....Hope u stay injury free....Have u considered running Berlin in Sept again and trying to get ur PB down?? ...Its an ideal course for fast running... after enjoying it so much in 2010 Im going to give it a go again with that specific intention..

If u don't mind me asking what training plan are ur following? Low milage training plan sounds appealing to me!!

Would definitely recommend Berlin as a race to do. It has great PB potential, fast and flat and great support. However as things stand, this year doesn't suit work wise so will have to pass on it. The only problem with Berlin is that you have to sign up well in advance as it is so popular

My original marathon training schedules were based on programmes I got in the Irish Runner and then I switched to one from Runners World magazine. I found the high mileage and intensity of running was giving me a lot of niggles and twice I had to pull out of the Dublin marathon so I decided a change was needed in my approach to training

My current programme is based on my own experience, one area I needed to work on was putting in the longer runs, for Berlin I done 5 runs of 20mls or more. I also do two spinning classes a week, I'm not sure how you would compare that to miles ran but I do believe it has really helped. It was a 5 day programme.

Monday is spinning and pilates
    Tuesday was around hour long run
    Wednesday spinning and swimming
    Thursday 10mls around 70-75mins
    Friday day off
    Saturday a race and if no race very light run on the treadmill or maybe nothing.
    Sunday Long run

I'm not sure if it would work for everyone but I am very happy with the results it has delivered for me. I never thought I would have an 82min half or finish a marathon feeling strong and full of running as I did in Berlin.

Sunday January 23rd
    Didn't feel the best today, (my own fault alcohol related) but I was determined to get a run in of 13/14mls. Headed of around 5pm and before long it was dark, not to many other runners out in the park. Ran 13.26mls in 1hr 40mins 44secs, average pace p.m was 7:36.

Splits were
    M1 - 7:35
    M2 - 7:36
    M3 - 7:55
    M4 - 7:51
    M5 - 7:43
    M6 - 7:39
    M7 - 7:39
    M8 - 7:47
    M9 - 7:36
    M10 - 7:58
    M11 - 7:36
    M12 - 7:18
    M13 - 6:50
    0.26 - 1:41, mile pace was 6:27

Found this tough in parts, stomach felt very dodgy decided to take the hilly route but come M3 & M4 (hill at chapelizod entrance and the furry glen) was kinda regretting it but pushed on and done them a second time round as well. Was able to pick things up at the end and once I finished felt pretty good. No long next week as I will be doing the Raheny 5 instead.

Monday 24th January
    Legs felt a bit heavy after Saturdays race and long on Sunday. Spinning class was full (kinda relieved) and just done pilates. Tough class.

Tuesday 25th January
    Legs still heavy but wanted to do something so done 10k on the treadmill in 43mins

Wednesday 26th January
    Spinning and core work

Thursday 27th January
    Went for massage, felt the legs needed.

• Advertisement

Saturday 29th January
    5k easy on the treadmill in 22mins followed by core work and a few lenghts of the pool

Sunday 30th January
    Raheny 5 mile. Got home in 30:02 seconds. Delighted with the time, did not expect it. The aim was to beat last years 30:45. Went out hard for the first mile and held back slightly in the 2nd (there is a couple of drags there) Felt good at that point and kept pushing from there, worked hard on the hill on Watermill road and put in a hard last kick around the park.

Splits were
    M1 - 5:58
    M2 - 6:06
    M3 - 5:58
    M4 - 5:56
    M5 - 5:58
    Final .02 mile in 5 seconds

Only for the last section I would have been sub 30. Done a race a week in January, two on the country and two on the road. Was slighted disappointed with the Aware 10K by not getting under 40 but very happy with todays effort did not think I was in that good of nick.

Plan for the week is:

Monday - Spinning, core work and pilates
    Tuesday - 8mls/1 hr on the treadmill
    Wednesday - Spinning, core work and hopefully new weights programme
    Thursday - 10ml run, if I can get out of work early it it will be the Phoenix Park
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Easy gym workout or maybe nothing
    Sunday - Long run 15/16mls

Monday 31st January
    Spinning, new instructor a bit different to the normal which was good, followed by core work and pilates (which was really tough)

Tuesday 1st February
    8.2mls on the treadmill in 1hr. First 3mls at 8.1mph, Mls 4-6 at 8.3mph, Mls 7&8 at 8.6mph, final stretch at 10.1mph. Cardio wise the run was fine but I was sweating buckets, I forgot how warm the gym can be.

Wednesday 2nd February
    Spinning and core work

Thursday 3rd February
    8.5mls on the treadmill in 62:30. Had planned an outdoor run but got delayed in work and it was pretty miserable out so hit the gym instead.

Friday 4th February
    Nothing, took it easy.

Saturday 5th February
    4mls on treadmill in 27mins. Nice comfortable run. Followed by core work. Hopefully it will not be as miserable tomorrow as I definitely hitting the park, hopefully for around 15mls.

Sunday 6th February
    As it was a miserable morning decided to hold of the run till late afternoon. Ran 16.16mls in 1:59:56, average p.m was 7:25. Happy with the effort. Broke it in to 3 sections of 5 mls with the aim being to run each one faster.

M1-5 38:01
    M6-10 37:33
    M11-M15 36:41
    1.16mls 7:33

Felt good at the end finished with three faster miles 7:06, 6:52, 6:38. Bit windy out and for the last 6/7 mls it was raining but glad of it at that stage. Park was very wet, runners are a mess, ran on grass for a bit but it was to wet. Hopefully things will dry out soon, am doing a lot of running on the roads wouldn't mind doing a bit more on the grass/trails

Tuesday 8th February
    10.62 mls in Phoenix Park. Went well, pushed on a bit towards the end. Quite windy at times. Time 77:39, avg p.m 7.19.

M1 - 7:13
    M2 - 7:31
    M3 - 7:41
    M4 - 7:39
    M5 - 7:30
    M6 - 7:24
    M7 - 7:28
    M8 - 7:16
    M9 - 7:06
    M10 - 6:54
    0.62 - 3:53 (ml pace 6:18)

Wednesday 9th February
    Spinning & Core work

Thursday 10th February
    Wrecked tired so am taking the night of. BHAA XC on Saturday morning.

Finished the Dublin 2009 marathon in 3hrs 9mins, very happy with the effort as training in the summer months had not been great and only came together for the last 2 months. Went out in under 90 mins and tried to hang on but I just didn't have the ground work done. I felt afterwards that a sub 3 was well within my reach, if I could get the training right. Took a few weeks break and returned to light training in December and ran over xmas with an aim of running a few xc races in January to toughen up.

Decided early in the new year to aim for Berlin, working of a slightly longer programme than normal (20 as opposed to 16 wks), starting the week after the May bank holiday. Focus was to be on getting in the longer runs (got in 4 20+ runs), and using pilates and spinning. Training went well and I was pretty happy with my form prior to Berlin, in the last weeks prior to the race I got my half marathon PB down to to 82:45, my 10k down to 37:10 and ran the dublin half in an easy 89.

Arrived in Berlin on the Friday morning, to be greated by sunshine which would not be my favoured conditions. Got to my hotel and made my way to the expo for registration and collected my number. Highly impressed, plenty to see and do, was delighted to see that they had a staring pen for people aiming for 2:50 to 3:00 hrs. Got up Saturday morning to once again be greated with sunshine and this stage I was thinking of going to buy suncream but come the afternoon it started to get dull and by Saturday night it was wet, windy and cold. That evening I went to watch the roller blading marathon and locate the start, the conditions were tough for them, witnessed a few tumbles at one of the corners.

Was up at 6am on Sunday morning for breakfast. It was pitch black out and bucketing down rain, not ideal conditions but better that the sun. Headed to the start line just after 8, it was quite cold out, got changed but kept on an old fleece to keep warm. Done some light jogging and stretching to warm myself up and made my way to the start line around 8:45. Just stood outside my starting pen as it was thronged full of sub 3 hopefulls. Some guy sang the official race song and we were off, took just over 2 minutes to get over the start line.

My initial hope that since this was a german organised marathon everyone would be respectfull of the rules and that only sub 3 runners would start in the sub 3 pen was misplaced. I was streaming past runners for the first few miles, but I still got into a nice rhythm. My first two miles were the slowest at 6:59 and 6:57 My plan was to get to half way in around 88:30 and then push on from there with the hope of a strong last 6 miles or so.

Don't really mind running in the wet and got in to a nice routine running at my own pace and passing out people along the way. I ran with a large bottle of lucosade sport (sip on as required) and 4 enervit carbo gels (taken just after the hour and then every 30mins). I had set up the pace partner on my garmin for 6:51 mile splits just to make sure I was on track and had a pace band for 2:55. I found the Garmin let me down a bit as when I would check it, it would sayI was way behind schedule but I knew from the mile splits I was hitting I was ahead of target. Per my garmin I hit half way in 88:30 but the official split gave me a time of 89:26. I had set the garmin for miles whereas Berlin is measured in KMs (I didn't see any mile splits), so I didn't notice there was any discrepancy. I was slightly confused at this stage, I felt really easy but was unsure what was the correct splits, kept running at my speed till mile 16 and that stage decided that I was going to have to go for it. I felt good there was no point in holding back, I had trained well and hard to get sub 3 and my times were in the preceeding weeks races were good, so I put the foot down and went for it.

From then on, I felt brilliant, running strongly, passing out people, sticking to the blue line in case I ran an inch extra. Not really looking at the watch, I knew once I hit 30k (reached in 2:07)that sub 3 was going to happen it was just a question of how much under I went. Around 35k I passed a barefoot guy who had gone bombing passed me in the early stages but he was still running strong, I would think he got under the 3. The finishing stretch in Berlin is inspiring, you come on to unter de linden to see the Brandenburg gate in the distance, the crowds are lining both sides of street, the support was fantastic. After you pass through the gate there is about another 200mtrs to go so put on a final sprint, thinking I would dip in under 2:56 but just missed out. Was closing in fast on a guy dressed as minnie mouse at the end but the finish line came too soon.

Crossed the line in 2:56:06. Felt really good at the finish and delighted to see that I had reached my goal. Was chatting to a few people at the end and it was great to talk to people that had also got sub 3 for the first time. My half splits were 89:25 followed by 86:42 (my second fastest half marathon). My 5k splits were
    05k - 21:30
    10k - 20:58
    15k - 21:00
    20k - 21:19
    25k - 21:14
    30k - 21:00
    35k - 20:25
    40k - 20:06
    2.8k - 8:37
    Fastest miles were 23 & 25 at 6:15. Per my garmin I ran 26.6mls, I had gone through 26.2 in under 2:54. Still I will take my 2:56, delighted to finally get sub-3. I reckon my final 10k was ran in just over 40mins.

I would recommend Berlin as a marathon, I had only ever ran Dublin, nice flat fast course, great support all round the course (even with the bad weather). That is one thing I find with Dublin is that the support can be sparse in places especially around the 16-22ml stretch when I usually start to stuggle.

Saturday 12th February
    BHAA NCF XC, 5 mls. Another well organised race, big turnout and a few bales of hay to jump over. Course was suprisingly firm, I was expecting it to be a bit softer with the rain in the last two days. Got home in just over 30 mins, my garmin had the course at 4.82mls so it was a little short. Held back a bit at the start, with the aim of finishing strong.

M1 -6:19
    M2 - 6:14
    M3 - 6.29 - got running with a guy, but didn't realise we had slowed, no one passed us. Pushed on once I realised
    M4 -6:14
    M5 - 4:57 (garmin says 4.83mls, so roughly 300mtrs short).

Happy with the time, next week is the ALSAA race. Kinda funny that both men and women started at the same time but at two different places.

Sunday 13th February
    The legs felt a bit heavy after yesterdays race but was still keen to get in a long run. Haven't done a long in the early morning in a while. Ran 18.04mls in 2hrs 13mins 42secs with an average mile pace of 7:25

M1 - 7:22
    M2 - 7:27
    M3 - 8:02 Slow mile, round the Furry glen
    M4 - 7:27
    M5 - 7:19
    M6 - 7:03
    M7 - 7:15
    M8 - 7:27
    M9 - 7:31
    M10 - 7:42 Furry glen again, worked a bit harder this time
    M11 - 7:29
    M12 - 7:19
    M13 - 7:09
    M14 - 7:29
    M15 - 7:43 Running out chesterfield avenue, always find this tough for some reason
    M16 - 7:54 Feeling a bit tired at this stage
    M17 - 7:00 Tried to finish fast, found it tough but nearly there
    M18 - 6:49 Last mile, pushed on a bit, glad to be finished
    .04ML -14secs

Found the run a bit tough but wanted to hit the 18ml mark. Pace was a bit up and down. Found mile 15 & 16 a bit tough. Legs feel heavy now, a date with the foam roller awaits.

• Advertisement

Monday 14th February
    Legs felt heavy after previous days long run. Struggled a bit in spinning, pilates was as tough as usual

Tuesday 15th February
    Legs still heavy done an easy 10k on the treadmill in 46mins, followed by core work

Wednesday 16th February
    Spinning & weights

Thursday 17th February
    Wrecked so done nothing, think I am struggling a bit with the the current set up of a race on saturday morning followed by a long run on Sunday.

Saturday 19th February
    ALSAA BHAA 5ml XC. It was tough. Course very mucky and wet. Got home in just under 34mins. Had the course a bit long. Started of steady and held the pace tried to focus on picking of people as the race progressed.

M1 - 6:23
    M2 - 6:28
    M3 - 6:31
    M4 - 6:34
    M5 - 6:35
    .24 - 1:24 5:52ml pace

Next race is the Garda 4ml in the Phoneix Park. Hopefully 20mls tomorrow morning.

Sunday 20th February
    20.14mls in the Phoenix park in 2hrs 28mins 42secs, avg pace 7:23 per mile. Went better than expected. Heading of this morning I felt tired and the legs were heavy but had set the target of hitting 20. Jogged down slowly to the park and done some stretches. Nicer out than it looked. Route was the usual, starting by the wellington monument down wellington road, military road, sbends, upper glen road, down and round the furry glen, knockmaroon road, ordanace survey road and back round the north road to wellington road. Done this for two laps and done it in reverse for the last lap but excluding the Furry glen.

M1 - 7:31
    M2 - 7:17
    M3 - 7:52
    M4 - 7:36
    M5 - 7:28
    M6 - 7:19
    M7 - 7:23
    M8 - 7:31
    M9 - 7:26
    M10 - 7:42
    M11 - 7:25
    M12 - 7:47
    M13 - 7:03
    M14 - 7:16
    M15 - 7:20
    M16 - 7:20
    M17 - 7:13
    M18 - 7:08
    M19 - 7:04
    M20 - 6:59
    .14 - 0:53 - 6:22p.m

Happy with the effort, I didn't feel the best starting out this morning but it went better than expected. Had to work a bit at the end to finish a bit faster, found it windy around the s bends. Hamstings felt a bit tight from 15 or so onwards. Done the first ten miles in 75:07 and second ten in just under 73. Thankfully no race next saturday so it should make the long run a bit easier (I hope). Yesterdays race was the toughest one so far but it should stand to me in the long run.

Not the best weeks training, but kinda expected that.

Monday 21st February
    Spinning and Pilates. Spinning was fine, legs felt good after previous days effort. Pilates as tough as ever.

Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd.
    Couple of other things on and wasn't able to squeeze anything in.

Thursday 24th
    8mls in 50mins on the treadmill. Felt quite good.

Friday 25th & Saturday 26th
    Friday is the usual day of but had half planned to fit something in but didn't get round to it. Had to work Saturday.

Sunday 27th.
    Wrecked from the whole week, legs feel like lead so skipped today save for a date with the foam roller. I don't feel/ I am training particulary hard but the legs seem to be be heavy all the time. Will see can I book in a massage soon.

This day 6 weeks is Paris, so that was the last easy week I plan on having. Garda XC in the phoenix park next week and the MSB 5k two weeks after that. My main race was target was the wicklow half but that has been cancelled due to 'Health & Safety reasons'. Would have liked to have done a half to test myself beforehand but nothing else suits my schedule

Monday 28th February
    Spinning, Gym & Pilates. Having no long run in my legs made spinning a lot easier tonight had a good workout. Pilates as tough as ever.

Tuesday 1st March
    8mls in 50:30 on the treadmill. Felt good, picked the speed up towards the end. Started at 9.5mph ended at 11.1mph.

Wednesday 2nd March
    Spinning & Core work

Thursday 3rd March
    First run outdoors in a while. Nice evening out but it did get a bit nippy towards the end. Ran 10.1mls in 71:59, avg pace per mile 7:08. Went a bit faster than planned, felt good so decided to go with it.

M1 - 7:18
    M2 - 7:25
    M3 - 7:44
    M4 - 7:29
    M5 - 7:22
    M6 - 7:05 -
    M7 - 6:42
    M8 - 7:16
    M9 - 6:52
    M10 - 6:13
    0.10 - 0:34 - 5:28ml split

Tomorrow is a rest day. Have the BHAA XC on saturday morning, always enjoy the race but it's a tough enough course.

Saturday 5th March
    Garda BHAA XC 4mls. Ideal conditions, nice day and firm under foot. Race went well. As it was only four miles, target was to run first mile in 6mins and hold that to come home in sub 24. Course was about 140 mtrs short, my Garmin had it at 3.89mls

M1 - 5:59
    M2 - 6:12
    M3 - 5:51
    M4 - 5:17 (was only .89 of a mile)

Got home in 23:15. Last year in the same race came home in 24:44, so a good improvement. Wanted to have a steady start and then work on picking of people. Worked hard on the last mile pushed on once we came to the big hill and kept it going. Passed out a good few except come the finish line when one guy I thought I had dropped came passed me like a bullet.

Happy with the effort. Roll on tomorrows 22mls.

Sunday 6th March
    A good run today. Ran 22.05mls in 2hrs 42mins 7secs, average per mile of 7:21. Felt good after yesterday run and had a good training week overall, so was pretty postivie starting out. Went of a bit fast but it was hard holding back. Course was the usual, starting at wellington monument, sbends, furry glen, north road for two laps with the 3rd lap in reverse and a trip up the Khyber road and back in the main road to hit my 22ml target.

M1 - 7:19
    M2 - 7:18
    M3 - 7:43
    M4 - 7:35
    M5 - 7:42
    M6 - 7:07
    M7 - 7:16
    M8 - 7:25
    M9 - 7:26
    M10 - 7:38
    M11 - 7:23
    M12 - 7:32
    M13 - 7:14
    M14 - 7:19
    M15 - 7:20
    M16 - 7:29
    M17 - 7:14
    M18 - 7:07
    M19 - 7:10
    M20 - 7:08
    M21 - 7:22
    M22 - 6:49
    100 mtrs - 21 secs.

Overall very happy. Last five miles were done in 35:36 had to work a bit, Mile 21 was up the Khyber road which was tough. Run was done in negative splits, first 11 were in 81:52 and second 11 in 79:44. Slowest miles were 3 and 10 where I was running round the Furry Glen

Next week will do another 22miler and then start dropping the distances. Will skip the BHAA race next week to see how a run goes with fresh legs (relatively speaking). Will book a massage for a few days before the MSB 5k, hopefully will be well under 18mins.

Achilies is slightly sore at the moment, will ice it again before I hit the sack. Hopefully it's nothing to major.

Monday 7th March
    Legs felt heavy after the race and long run but still made it to spinning (hard going), started new weights programme and pilates was as tough as ever. Achilles still a bit sore.

Tuesday 8th March
    Achilles quite sore today so decided to skip the run and just iced it.

Wednesday 9th March
    Spinning and core work. Achilles felt fine until I was walking home, going to ice it now and hit the sack. Want to get in a 10ml run in tomorrow will see I how I feel.

Thursday 10th March
    Ran 11.3 mls in 82:15, average p.m. 7:17. Not the best conditions, quite windy, showery and had two hailstone showers. Towards the end the Achilles was starting to niggle, have iced it since. Skipping Saturdays race, hoping to do 22mls on Sunday faster than last week.

M1 - 7:24
    M2 - 7:28
    M3 - 7:38
    M4 - 7:25
    M5 - 7:40
    M6 - 7:14
    M7 - 7:07
    M8 - 7:21
    M9 - 7:25
    M10 - 7:06
    M11 - 6:38
    0.30 - 1:47 - 5:55

Overall felt quite good and fairly comfortable. Only race that is left now is the MSB 5k, would have liked a longer race to test myself but nothing round or that fitted my schedule. All the running at the moment feels good but it would be good to see how I would go in a longer race.

• Advertisement

Sunday 13th March
    Skipped the BHAA race on Saturday to rest for this run and also because I had a few too many beers on Friday. Ran a total of 22.15mls in 2hrs 41mins 04secs, average per mile of 7:16. Went along the usual route, 3 laps in total, with lap 3 in reverse and a mile thrown on to hit 22.

Faster than last week but I'm not sure if I'm overly happy with the run. Pacing was a bit up and down. Miles 6, 7, 13 & 14 were sub 7, didn't feel like it was that fast but it was along the north road which is fairly flat. On the final lap, it was tough going at times, hamstrings felt a bit tight from Mile 15/16 onwards. I like to finish with a few fast miles but that wasn't happening today, my last mile was my second slowest. Did try to raise a spring for the last 200mtrs or so.

M1 - 7:19
    M2 - 7:18
    M3 - 7:26
    M4 - 7:21
    M5 - 7:37
    M6 - 6:52
    M7 - 6:53
    M8 - 7:22
    M9 - 7:07
    M10 - 7:34
    M11 - 7:13
    M12 - 7:14
    M13 - 6:59
    M14 - 6:54
    M15 - 7:14
    M16 - 7:32
    M17 - 7:18
    M18 - 7:16
    M19 - 7:17
    M20 - 7:17
    M21 - 7:25
    M22 - 7:34
    0.15 - 51secs, 5:44p.m

On the positive side, the last 7/8 miles were fairly consistent, even though the legs felt tight, I did keep going. This time four weeks the race will be behind me, had orignally planned one more long run for the 20th but with my planned half marathon being cancelled I might throw in another log run instead and then taper from there on in.

Advertisement