Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allez Ola Ole - Paris 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Monday 14th March
    Legs felt very heavy after yesterdays run so booked a massage for Friday, which should hopefully leave me fresh for the MSB 5k, and skipped spinning. Just went to pilates class.

Tuesday 15th March
    Legs still heavy, went for an easy run on the treadmill, 5mls in 40mins. Cardio wise very easy, legs not as bad as I had expected. Will do a bit of work on the foam roller before I hit hit the sack.

Sunday is my final race before Paris, distance is a bit on the short side but it will have to do at this point. Plan to head of on 17:30 pace, my current PB is 17:56 as things stand I expect to beat that but you never know on the day.

Wednesday 16th March
    Spinning and core work. Legs still not the best but didn't want to miss the class as I had already missed Monday night. Class was a bit tough but I got through it.

Thursday 17th March
    Late afternoon run, got out for 10.72mls in a time of 77:33 giving an average per mile of 7:14. Kicked of from the usual spot beside the Wellington monument, given the day that was in it there was plenty of underage drinkers hanging round.

M1 - 7:33
    M2 - 7:17
    M3 - 7:34
    M4 - 7:23
    M5 - 7:27
    M6 - 6:55
    M7 - 7:13
    M8 - 7:16
    M9 - 7:01
    M10 - 6:54
    0.72 - 4:59 , mile pace of 6:54

Not a bad effort, wanted to get in a decent run, found this last 10 days or so tough. Was the usual route of the Sbends, furry glen, north road for first 6.5 mls and then out chesterfield ave for a lap of the five acres. Ground was nice and firm. Massage booked for Friday, the legs really need it.

Was stretching afterwards and two cops on backs arrived to be shortly followed by a squad car full of them, drinkers were fleeing in all directions, could hear lots of bottles being dropped, one young guy tried to make a dash for it but the cop gave chase and confiscated his booze. Quite entertaining really so done a bit of extra stretching to watch the show.

Friday 18th March
    Went for massage, legs have really felt heavy so this was really needed.

Saturday 19th March
    Had planned on hitting the gym for pilates and a spin on the bike but felt wrecked so gave it a miss.

Sunday 20th March
    MSB 5k, got home in 17:39 a new pb by 17 seconds, just managed to squeeze into the Top 50. Very happy with the time. Legs still felt a bit heavy in the warm up but went for it from the start.

Had problems with my Garmin connecting, so it missed out on the first 400 metres, I had the exact same problem last year. Got to the 1k mark in 3:33, so decided to keep going at that pace. Found it a bit windy round Wilton Terrace and it was tough going around Pembroke Street but was nearly home at that stage. Managed to put in a sprint finish at the end.

On the whole very happy with the run but thought legs would have felt better, going to head for my final 20 miler shortly and from then it is the beggining of the taper. Less than 3 weeks to go now.

Put my time in the McMillan calculator and it gives me a marathon time of 2:52. At this point would be happy to improve on Berlin 2010's 2:56

Monday 21st March
    Final long run of my training schedule. Done the 5k yesterday so pushed the long run back a day. Park was quiet compared to my usual running times of after work or Sundays but there was still a few runners & cyclists to be seen. Target was to get round in sub 2:30 while trying to maintain a steady pace.

Got round in 2hrs 28mins 25secs, avg p.m of 7:24, which was more or less in line with my last 20 miler

M1 - 7:28
    M2 - 7:21
    M3 - 7:57
    M4 - 7:44
    M5 - 7:14
    M6 - 7:05
    M7 - 7:09
    M8 - 7:35
    M9 - 7:33
    M10 - 7:34
    M11 - 7:20
    M12 - 7:24
    M13 - 7:02
    M14 - 7:14
    M15 - 7:24
    M16 - 7:19
    M17 - 7:30
    M18 - 7:33
    M19 - 7:50
    M20 - 6:54
    110Mtrs - 23 secs, 5:43p.m

On the whole a good way to end the long runs. First ten miles was done in 74:40 followed by 73:35 for the second ten. Found miles 18 & 19 tough as they involved a run up the Khyber road but was able to get the final mile under 7.

Will do a 15miler next Sunday, had planned to include a half marathon but think I will run it a bit faster than a normal training run. Got my medical cert completed for Paris afterwards will post it of tomorrow, all systems go at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hi there, I'm also doing Paris this year. I'm bringing my medical cert to the expo as opposed to posting it, I'm assuming that will work ok also?
    Your training seems to have gone really well, best of luck, not long to go now. My training has gone great also, isn't it great to be tapering down?

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm also doing Paris this year. I'm bringing my medical cert to the expo as opposed to posting it, I'm assuming that will work ok also?
    Your training seems to have gone really well, best of luck, not long to go now. My training has gone great also, isn't it great to be tapering down?

Thanks Marthastew, I posted my cert on Tuesday but I plan to bring the original with me to the expo as well to be sure. Either option is fine. I am hoping to be in the sub 3 start zone so I have to bring proof of a previous sub 3 runto the expo and they will put me in the right zone. It seems an unusual way to do it, but thats the French way I guess?

Once training has gone well, I always enjoy the taper, you know at that point all the hard work is done. Looking forward to my 15 miler on Sunday. I would have liked to have done a half but nothing fitted my training schedule.

Best of luck, hope you get the time you are looking for.

Tuesday 22nd March
    5.1mls on the treadmill in 40mins, nice easy run.

Thursday 24th March
    10.71mls in 79:23, average p.m of 7:25

M1 - 7:17
    M2 - 7:07
    M3 - 7:32
    M4 - 7:39
    M5 - 7:43
    M6 - 7:21
    M7 - 7:30
    M8 - 7:30
    M9 - 7:23
    M10 - 7:23
    0.71 - 4:58 p.m 6:58

A nice relaxed run, aim was for a comfortable ten miles in under 75mins, which I did with 35 seconds to spare. Looking forward to the time change on Sunday, it will be good to go running at night in the bright again. That was probably the toughest part of spring marathon training, getting dark so early in the evening, so there was a bit more treadmill running than usual.

Will do a 15miler on Sunday in lieu of my cancelled half marathon.

Saturday 26th March
    5.2mls on treadmil in 41mins, nice and easy. Had hoped to do a pilates class but turned up late for it so hit the treadmill instead did stretching and core work afterwards.

Sunday 27th March
    Had a bit of a lie in the morning so headed of in the afternoon. Was aiming for a 15 mile run, to include a strong half marathon. Was hoping for to race a half today as wanted one to show where my training had taken me. Done the usual route, Wellington monument, s bends, furry glen and back in round the edge of the north road (on the grass/trails where possible) times 2.

Ran a total of 15.26mls in 1hr 40mins and 31 secs, a per mile average of 6:35. Ran the first 13.1mls in 85:50, very happy with that, it's my second fastest half ever.

Splits were
    M1 - 6:53
    M2 - 6:40
    M3 - 6:52
    M4 - 6:35
    M5 - 6:48
    M6 - 6:20
    M7 - 6:15
    M8 - 6:22
    M9 - 6:13
    M10 - 6:36
    M11 - 6:38
    M12 - 6:51
    M13 - 6:18
    M14 - 6:15
    M15 - 7:07
    0.26 - 1:48

A good way to commence my taper, felt good all the way round, kinda doozed of a bit for mile 12 (6:51) but picked up for the last mile. Very surprised to see my half was below 86mins. Miles 3 & 10 were round the Furry Glen, didn't hold back either time, worked a bit harder the second time and got a 6:36. Held back on my final mile, it's nice to know a 7:07 mile can feel so easy.

The plan for next weekend is Tuesday outdoor run, Wednesday pilates and easy treadmill run, Thursday outdoor run and a 10 miler on Sunday. The hard work is done now, roll on Paris.

Tuesday 29th March
    Ran 8.46mls in 60:35, a per mile average of 7:10. Was a bit faster than I had planned, I didn't think I was running that fast but whenever I checked my garmin I was hitting low 7's.

Splits were

M1 - 7:08
    M2 - 7:15
    M3 - 7:20
    M4 - 7:06
    M5 - 7:19
    M6 - 7:07
    M7 - 7:08
    M8 - 6:55
    0.46 - 3:17

Planning a nice easy running on the treadmill for tomorrow. Again legs felt a bit heavy, think I will book a massage for this week and one for next week. Want to make sure the legs feel good and fresh for Sunday week

Wednesday 30th March
    Got home late from work, so didn't make it to the gym. Lower calf and achilles didn't feel the best so decided I would rest it.

Thursday 31st March
    Nice easy run this evening, 6.55mls in 47:05, average per mile of 7:11. Calf / Achilles was still a bit sore but wanted to get a run in to see how it reacted. Splits were

M1 - 7:09
    M2 - 7:15
    M3 - 7:20
    M4 - 7:04
    M5 - 7:23
    M6 - 7:10
    0.55 - 3:43.

Booked a massage for tomorrow just to give the legs a chance to freshen up. Even the times from my runs are fairly good, the legs feel a bit heavy. Will do a some work on the foam roller later on.

• Advertisement

Friday 1st April
    Went for massage, lower calf was still sore but got a good workout on it. It feels ok when I am running but there is a bit of discomfort if I am walking. Was told to do some extra stretching and apply heat to the calf, hopefully should do the trick. Booked another massage for next Thursday.

Saturday 2nd April
    Pilates class followed by 15mins on the bike. Calf still a bit sore, used the power plate before I finished up. Done some stretching and applied deep heat when I got home.

Hoping for an easy 10 miler tomorrow afternoon. Just checked the Paris marathon website, they have received my medical cert and I have put me in the sub 3 group. Will still bring all the necessary documents to be sure. Didn't realise but I also have to bring my passport to the expo.

The long range weather forecast is giving highs of around the 70's all next week in Paris, not ideal condition but hopefully I will be finished before the heat picks up.

Sunday 3rd April
    Headed of in the early evening sun for a ten miler, hoping to get round in a nice comfortable 75 mins. Ended up doing 10.25mls 72:17, per mile avg of 7:07. It felt very easy, didn't feel like I was running that fast. Didn't check my watch till after mile 3, so was surprised to see I was running in the low 7s. Was trying to slow myself down but miles 5 & 6 were still sub 7:20 from then just decided to run at what felt comfortable.

Calf was niggling slightly, the pain now feels as if it's moving down towards the achilles. Kinda getting nervous in case it's about to become a problem. Will take it easy for the rest of the week.

Splits were

M1 - 7:00
    M2 - 7:06
    M3 - 7:02
    M4 - 7:05
    M5 - 7:17
    M6 - 7:18
    M7 - 7:01
    M8 - 7:02
    M9 - 7:10
    M10 - 6:43
    406M - 1:34, 6:12ml avg

Checked the weather for Paris again, high of 73, sunny and with no chance of rain. This time next week it will all be behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck with paris caprica, havent had much chance to follow your log, but the times your doing are spot on....easily below berlin time anyway....

Monday 4th April
    Calf felt sore all day. Decided to skip spinning and only done pilates. This is the worst calf has felt, getting a bit worried now. Will be doing very little this week, nothing tomorrow, pilates followed by treadmill run on Wednesday and massage on Thursday. Hopefully the few days rest is what I need.

seanynova wrote: »
    best of luck with paris caprica, havent had much chance to follow your log, but the times your doing are spot on....easily below berlin time anyway....

Thanks Seanynova. I am very happy with the way training has gone, better than expected tbh. Plan is to aim for sub 2:55, half way in range 87:30 to 88:00 and taking it on from there. I think I gained a lot from the cross country races, the strenght I gained has really stood to me.

Calf is giving me problems now but I will be on that start line next Sunday.

Caprica wrote: »
    Monday 4th April
    Calf felt sore all day. Decided to skip spinning and only done pilates. This is the worst calf has felt, getting a bit worried now. Will be doing very little this week, nothing tomorrow, pilates followed by treadmill run on Wednesday and massage on Thursday. Hopefully the few days rest is what I need.

I really hope your calf clears up, you've trained really well and you have a sub three hour marathon in your legs.... my advice? Skip the treadmill and do pilates, foam roller etc for the rest of the week, take it easy. REST REST REST.
    It's perfectly normal to be worried, I ran only ten miles the other day and all I could think was "I don't have a marathon in these legs!", this time next week it will all be over and we'll be bragging to our families and friends .

I really hope your calf clears up, you've trained really well and you have a sub three hour marathon in your legs.... my advice? Skip the treadmill and do pilates, foam roller etc for the rest of the week, take it easy. REST REST REST.
    It's perfectly normal to be worried, I ran only ten miles the other day and all I could think was "I don't have a marathon in these legs!", this time next week it will all be over and we'll be bragging to our families and friends .

Thanks Marthastew. I think I am worried and mad in equal measure. Worried in case I don't get to start and be able to give it my best but mad because I can't believe I have an injury at this late stage.

I think you are right, I will skip this weeks run. At this point it's going to make no difference, all the hard work is done. Hope everyone has gone well for you, best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Very best of luck on Sunday Caprica... As said above take it easy for next few days and hopefully the sports massage will sort u out.... Give it a lash race day and c where it takes u :)

Tuesday 5th April
    Nothing

Wednesday 6th April
    Pilates and a few minutes on the bike. Nothing to major. Leg feels better than Monday but decided against doing a run.

Massage tomorrow. Apart from the calf, the legs feel quite good. Going to make a start on packing my bags tonight, bit of dillema will I wear my Berlin or Dublin tops from last year.

Thursday 7th April
    Massage today, calf muscle has improved but still a bit sore, nothing planned for tomorrow but would like a light run on Saturday morning to test it. May do breakfast run as long as it is easy to get to. Hopefully a few more days rest will sort it.

High for Sunday is now going to be 73, will need to pack the suncream. Heading of tomorrow morning, no turning back now. As things stand will be aiming for sub-3, very happy with the way training has gone, it's just as good as what I done for Berlin the only complication has been this calf niggle. Maybe the enforced rest will do me good.

• Advertisement

Saturday 9th April
    Landed in Paris yesterday afternoon and went to the expo yesterday evening. Very warm afternoon in Paris. Expo was good, ran well, they had a rice party, plenty of exhibitors. It's sponsored by Asics and got one of their official tops. The Dublin Marathon had a stand but didn't find it.

Went for a run this morning, first one since last Sunday, it went ok. Leg is still a bit of a niggle but it wasn't causing me huge discomfort, hopefully it will hold up tomorrow. Big worry now is the heat, it was quite warm around the 11am this morning when we went for our run, it was nice in the shade but I imagine we will be running on wide streets so there mightn't be much chance to hop in the shade tomorrow. There is an expected high of 73 tomorrow, hopefully that will be long after I finish.

Your goodie bag comes with a sponge so that will be coming a long with me. They have refreshment stops every 5ks and you can wet your sponge there. They have pacers from 3hrs to 4:30hrs every 15mins at the moment the plan is to aim for half way in sub 88 and see can I get home in sub 2:55. Will give it a shot anyway.

Early to bed tonight, up at 5:45 breakfast at 6am and heading of to start around 7am, start time is 8:45. With the calf niggle I do feel a bit nervous but maybe thats a good thing?

Sunday 10th April
    Got round in 3:07:38. I think it was the toughest marathon I have done. Even at 9am it was hot, tempratures were in the mid 70's. Was on for sub-3 till mile 20 but really stuggled for there on in. There was a couple of miles outside 8 minutes. First half was around 88:40 and about 97mins for second half. Will get official results later on.

There was a lot of shading in the first marathon but I found it a bit exposed in the second half, was probably starting to tire. Really felt in good shape for this, training had gone very well but in this weather I was not going to go under 3hrs.

I do belive I can go under 2:55 but I need the conditions to be more favourable, roll on an autumn marathon. Leg is quite sore now, going for a nice soak in a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Sunday 10th April
    Got round in 3:07:38. I think it was the toughest marathon I have done. Even at 9am it was hot, tempratures were in the mid 70's. Was on for sub-3 till mile 20 but really stuggled for there on in. There was a couple of miles outside 8 minutes. First half was around 88:40 and about 97mins for second half. Will get official results later on.

There was a lot of shading in the first marathon but I found it a bit exposed in the second half, was probably starting to tire. Really felt in good shape for this, training had gone very well but in this weather I was not going to go under 3hrs.

I do belive I can go under 2:55 but I need the conditions to be more favourable, roll on an autumn marathon. Leg is quite sore now, going for a nice soak in a bath.

Caprica u cant govern for the weather...Well done and enjoy ur night... 2.55 of a fair bit lower is well within ur grasp IMO... Onwards and upwards :)

Congratulations and Well done. I also found it very, very tough, I'd hoped to beat my DCM PB of 3hrs 41 but I would have to agree that the heat was excruciating. I'm very happy with my time (3 hrs 47.11) all the same and apart from usual soreness I'm injury free. As you so rightly said.... Roll on autumn marathon. Well done again, fantastic time in those conditions, you should be very proud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hard luck today, good race all the same....

paris be a good spot id say for recover from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats - you may not have made sub3 today ... But it is within reach and you will build on this.

Congratulations and Well done. I also found it very, very tough, I'd hoped to beat my DCM PB of 3hrs 41 but I would have to agree that the heat was excruciating. I'm very happy with my time (3 hrs 47.11) all the same and apart from usual soreness I'm injury free. As you so rightly said.... Roll on autumn marathon. Well done again, fantastic time in those conditions, you should be very proud

Thanks Marthastew. Well done on your time, if conditions were better you would easily have set a new PB. Fingers crossed that we get better weather next time out. I found the support in places a bit sparse particularly in the final stretch going through the woods. Are you going to get your medal engraved?

I really felt that a new PB was on prior to this race but the calf injury and the heat put pay to that. Hopefully next time.

Thanks Marthastew. Well done on your time, if conditions were better you would easily have set a new PB. Fingers crossed that we get better weather next time out. I found the support in places a bit sparse particularly in the final stretch going through the woods. Are you going to get your medal engraved?

I really felt that a new PB was on prior to this race but the calf injury and the heat put pay to that. Hopefully next time.

I've yet to get any of my medals engraved (that was number five for me, I started running three years ago), maybe when I get my next PB I'll engrave it. At least now we have done a marathon in that heat we know we can do it. I've been reading up on Sunday and we were lucky not to be one of the many who collapsed from the heat. One of the newspaper headlines in Paris the next day said many runners had to opt for metro or ambulance in order to get home! I also found the support in the woods very sparse, I was seriously tempted to head over to the table with wine and biscuits and have a picnic since I knew at that stage a PB would have required a miracle. Enjoy the rest now before training starts for Autumn. Congrats again, phenomenal time, especially with the heat.

Below are mile splits from Sunday. Things were going well till mile 20 when the wheels started coming of. Mile 18 was slow as I had to take a toilet break, after that came out of a tunnell which had a sharp incline, which I found very tough and then I started falling back.

First half was reached in 88:38 with the second half completed in 99:00. From Mile 20 on I lost the best part of 7 mins, could have been close to sub 3 if I could have stuck to 7min miling but I physically exhausted at that stage.

M1 - 6:52
    M2 - 6:53
    M3 - 6:43
    M4 - 6:44
    M5 - 6:45
    M6 - 6:34
    M7 - 6:40
    M8 - 6:40
    M9 - 6:46
    M10 - 6:52
    M11 - 6:27
    M12 - 6:42
    M13 - 6:49
    M14 - 6:51
    M15 - 6:45
    M16 - 6:43
    M17 - 6:58
    M18 - 7:29
    M19 - 7:12
    M20 - 7:29
    M21 - 7:35
    M22 - 8:05
    M23 - 7:52
    M24 - 8:10
    M25 - 8:11
    M26 - 8:23
    0.35 - 2:29 7:04 mile split

Felt good to half way, was on for a 2:57 and within striking distance of a PB. First ten miles in 67:29 with the last ten been done in 77:24 (:eek:). Can't remember running ten miles that slow in training in a long time.

Leg is still sore and is a bit uncomfortable to walk on was hoping for the BHAA 10K and a new PB but will be giving it a miss. It needs the rest, I have nothing to gain by forcing things. Will do a detailed race report over the weekend.

• Advertisement

I had commenced this training programme at the end of 2010 which gave me a total training period of 15 weeks. After doing both Berlin and Dublin in 2010 I was coming of a fairly good base so even though I felt 15 weeks may be a bit on the short side I felt my previous training would stand to me and give me a bit of a headstart. The weather and a hamstring niggle in December put paid to any training pre xmas but it was no harm having a rest. As it was a shorter programme I decided to throw in a race every week in January to help me sharpen up. Training on the whole went very well, could really see the progression from my training and my racing was going well. At the beginning of the year I was unsure what my target time was going to be but in the weeks before Paris I had set a goal of 2:55

Flew into Paris on Friday the 8th and went to the expo that evening, had a very light run on the saturday morning. I hurt my calf two weeks before the marathon and in the final week I had only run once. Even on the short run the calf was a bit of a niggle but what I felt was going to be worse was the heat. Got up at 5:45am on Sunday Morning and went straight down for breakfast, luckily I had brought over some Porridge and had that the hotel cereals were not good. Headed of for the race just after 7am and it was kinda cool with no sun shining. Arrived at L'Arc de Triomphe just before 8 and it had warmed up a lot. We were all hoping that it wasn't going to be as hot as expected but we knew then it was going to be a hot one.

Went to the baggage drop and made my way to the start line and the sub 3 pen. It was very well organised, there was marshalls at each entry point and if you didn't have the right colour bib you were turned away. Plenty of room in the pen so did some last minute stretching. I had my gels in my shorts pocket and had an energy drink in one hand and a sponge from our expo bag in the other, all set to go. It was quite an impressive view, you look back and you thousands of runners and the Arc. I was already starting to sweat, it felt warm. The gun went at 8:45 and I was off, got over the start line in 30secs or so.

I had set the pacing target on my garmin to 6:40 per mile which would get me home in 2:55. I would hold back a little in the early miles just to get into a rhythmn and not get to carried away. The first two miles were 6:52 & 6:53 and from then on got the miles down to the low 6:40. There was a few guys doing sub 3 pacing but rather than running as a group they each ran on their own with different pacing strategies (I think) and athletes following them but I just done my own thing. There was plenty of shade in the first few miles and ran in that at all times. There was food and drink every 5k and I took on water at all stops, they also had buckets for sponges as I used those at every opportunity, they were a good idea.

Had got into a nice rhythmn early in the race and had hit 10k in 42:20 and felt fine but I could feel the calf starting to hurt, still all things were going well and race was going to plan. The plan for M7-10 was to get on 6:40 speed at the end of mile 10 and caught up with the first 3 hr pacer and there was a lot of congestion, so I dropped a bit of pace then, I took my first gel at this stage. Got ahead of them at Mile 11 and ran a fast mile of 6:27 (fastest of the race). Mile 12 & 13 got me back on track and went through half way in 88:38, not quite on 2:55 pace but still feeling good even if it was getting warm.

Miles 14 - 16 were not quite on 6:40 pace were still good and strong but I did start to feel the heat a bit. I think at mile 15 there was people with water hoses so I ran under them to cool down, the water was ice cold, it gave me a bit of a fright but it was what I needed. Around the 2hr mark I had planned on taking my 3rd energy gel but my stomach did not feel the best so I decided to hold of for a mile or two. At this point I had taken on water every 5k along with my energy drink so Mile 18 included a toilet break in a tunnell, coming out of it there was a little drag which hurt a bit more that it should have and I think it was from there that I started to stuggle, the calf was now quite sore. At this point the the first sub 3 pacer passed me again and I tried to stay with them but I lost touch very quickly which was worrying.

From Mile 18 onwards there was no more sub 7 miles and unfortunately a few plus 8's. The splits at Mile 19 was 7:12 and that drifted out to 8:05 come mile 22, which I pulled back to sub 8 for mile 23. At mile 20 I was still on for sub 3 if I could pull myself together and get my head down but it was getting really tough at this stage, the heat was really getting to me and the calf was doing me know favours. At mile 23 a guy dressed as mini mouse passed me, I recognised him from Berlin where I pipped him and that was probably a factor in me speeding up a bit. But it was only a brief respite as I dropped back again. The last 10/12k seemed to go on forever. We were running through a park, with not a lot of support, the heat was getting up, there was a few long straight which are not the best when you are struggling.

For the last few miles a lot of people passed me out and I found that a bit of a challenge, normally I would finish strong but it wasn't happening today. It was simply a case of trying to keep the legs turning over and trying to pick of a few people here and there. Went through mile 24 & 25 in 8:10 & 8:11, the end was near. Tried to work in mile 26 but it took 8:23, maybe 2/300 metres before the mile 26 marker a couple passed me out who were full of running and looked very fresh, not long after that they were pulled out by an official as they were running with no numbers.

Hit mile 26 and could see the finish, tried to raise a sprint, smiled for the cameras and crossed the line, 3hrs 7mins and 38secs after I started. It was a tough one, have never ran in heat like it. Leg was quite sore at this stage, got my medal, gave back my chip, got my finishers t-shirt, had a few bottles of water, a powerade, some bananas, few pieces of orange, chatted to a few people and then headed to back to the hotel. Had a good night on Sunday.

I felt in good shape for this but the calf niggle was going to be a problem but the heat was the worst, people were really struggling out there. At the expo they said there was going to be 40,000 taking part but my cert says 32,092 started with 31,169 finishing. That seems like a very high number of people not even making the starting line.

Advertisement