Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allez Ola Ole - Paris 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Calf still not the best but greatly improved on where it was last week. Went for a massage this evening just to help loosen it up. My plan is now to rest for one more week and hopefully have my first run next Tuesday or Wednesday. One more weeks rest should be good for me.

I have entered the Mens mini marathon for the May bank holiday and will give the BHAA 5 miler a shot on the Saturday. In the week prior to Paris I was aiming on doing the K Club 10k and RTE 5 miler in PB times, will just be happy to get back to racing on Saturday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

hey caprica, great race report even though it sounds like a tough few last miles. The race was on eurosport and it looked very warm. So that's 1-1 to you and mr. mini-mouse....i wonder where your paths will cross again? :)

Thursday 28th April
    First run since the Paris Marthon (18 days of rest). The calf is still not 100% but is greatly improved on what it was but I wanted to test it out. Ran a total of 6.47mls in 46:43, avg per mile of 7:14. It was great to be running in the bright again, headed of just after nine but it was a bit nippy.

Splits were:

M1 - 7:10
    M2 - 7:23
    M3 - 7:17
    M4 - 7:18
    M5 - 7:27
    M6 - 7:03
    0.47 - 3:04, p.m. 6:23

Happy with the run. Just ran without looking at my watch, since haven't ran in a while I wanted to just get a run in without wondering I am going to fast or to slow. Calf was slightly niggling me but feels fine now. As things stand I will give the RTE 5 Miler and Mens mini marathon this weekend.

Saturday 30th April - BHAA/RTE 5 Mile
    First race since Paris, got up in the morning and the calf felt a bit tight so was in two minds what to do but decided to give it a shot. Arrived around half ten, registered and then off for some stretching and done one easy lap of the course to warm up. Calf was niggling.

Race went very well, finished in 29:10 which is a new PB, all though my Garmin had course a bit short (as it was last year). There was more than 400 taking part, it was a bit congested for the first mile. Splits were

M1 - 5:45
    M2 - 5:57
    M3 - 6:03
    M4 - 6:00
    0.92M - 5:25, Mile split was 5:51.

Plan was to go out on 5:45 pace and keep going but that only lasted for 1 mile. Kinded surprised I dropped back for M2 & 3, pulled it back at the end. Not sure if I can take this as a PB as the course was short, bit surprised that two years running the course was short. Last year I had it at 4.91mls and this year was 4.92mls.

Calf was niggling throughtout the race but it never caused me a huge discomfort, it felt fine afterwards but is it a bit stiff this morning. Will see how I feel for the mens mini marathon tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Caprica wrote: »
    Not sure if I can take this as a PB as the course was short, bit surprised that two years running the course was short. Last year I had it at 4.91mls and this year was 4.92mls.

It's actually the last 3 years, no idea why it hasn't been sorted. The Bhaa have another cracking 5 miler up in Dunboyne at the end of the month. Very fast course.

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd May - ARC Mens Mini Marathon
    3rd year of this race, done it in year 1 when they sent us the wrong way and the course ended up being short and was a spectator last year. Last year and this they used the Great Ireland Run route, I think the first year it was the old Aware 10k route. Ran this course back in January for the Aware 10k, which was probably my only disappointing run of the year so far where I didn't even break 40mins. Was very happy with my run on Saturday where I got a new 5mile pb of 29:07 so was expecting/hoping for a new pb this morning.

Calf still felt a bit sore in the morning but I felt with the walk down it would warm up and loosen up a bit. Got there in good time, picked up my number done some stretching and a nice easy run. The leg didn't feel the best (just like Saturday) but I felt it would be fine during the race (just like Saturday)

Got home in 38:13, which is over a minute outside my PB. Once I started running the my legs felt heavy, it was tough turning them over. I was thinking at this stage if it's tough now the hills are really going to hurt and I was right. Was surprised to see the first mile was outside 6mins, they were only a handful of people ahead of me, steadied the ship on mile 2 and dipped under 6 on mile 3 (downhill on the Khyber road), ran well on the first hill and then kept things going on the flat for a 6:10mile. Then came the hills and I was starting to struggle was in a group of 5 from mile 2 and at this point 3 were dropped and then I started to struggle two different guys passed me so latched on to them, Mile 5 was 6:29. really struggled up out of the Furry glen, lost the two guys in front of me, rallied on the flat but mile 6 was only a 6:40. Tried to raise a sprint for the last stretch and closed in on the two guys in front of me but couldn't catch them. Splits were:

M1 - 6:04
    M2 - 6:00
    M3 - 5:57
    M4 - 6:10
    M5 - 6:29
    M6 - 6:40
    0.16 - 53secs

This was the first time I have ran two races so close and I felt that was in my legs from the get go. Probably not a true indication of my form but good to be well below 40mins. 10k target for the remainder of the year is to dip under 37mins, current PB is 37:10. Leg is still not fully recovered, it's a bit sore now, will rest a bit more this week and get back into a proper stretching routine.

In the last 10 days or so the calf has greatly improved but it is still not 100% so on that basis I booked an appointment with the physio for Thursday 12th May to see what they could do for me and hopefully get it fully recovered. Prior to that on Wednesday I went to the gym, plan was to do spinning but decided against it and done an easy 30mins on the bike, could still feel the calf come the end.

Thursday 12th May
    Physio appointment. When I was heading to the appointment, I was thinking that the calf has been causing me problems since the end of March, which is the best part of 6 weeks. I was hoping that rest would be the cure but that had only brought it so far.

Went for dry needling, had used it before and found it of benefit. The physio was shocked how tight the calf was, I could really feel it working. She done a lot of work but didn't want to overdo things so we decided on a second appointment. I was prepared for some stiffness afterwards but I spent most of Thursday in agony on the sofa, it was cramping really bad but I was thinking no pain no gain. The Eurovision was was a distraction, very impressed with Jedward, I was expecting a disaster but it was far from it, they were very popular with the crowd on both nights. Felt better come Friday evening and was fine Saturday so Sunday was set for my return to running.

Sunday 14th May
    Ran 6.73mls in 48:25, avg per mile of 7:12. Comfortable run, very windy in places but it was good to get out and run again. Seen more cops in the park today that in all my previous training runs. Splits were

M1 - 7:13
    M2 - 7:31
    M3 - 7:18
    M4 - 7:16
    M5 - 7:25
    M6 - 7:00
    0.73 - 4:38, mile split of 6:24

Plan for the rest of the week is pilates on Monday, followed by ESB beach race on Tuesday, with a return to spinning on Wednesday and second date with the physio on Thurday.

Leg feels ok as I write this but I'm not overly confident in the recovery, it still doesn't feel 100%, I keep feeling as though it seems to be moving down to my achilles. I think I am getting slightly paranoid, I don't like being injured. I have eaten and drank a lot of junk in the last few weeks better get the diet back on track sooner rather than later.

Monday 15th May
    Pilates. First class since the beginning of April. Wasn't as bad as expected.

Tuesday 16th May
    ESB BHAA 5K beach race. Probably my favourite of the BHAA races ever since it was ran one year in torrential rain, wind and on an evening when the tide hadn't gone out. Again slightly nervous of the calf but got there in good time done a nice relaxed warm up and some stretching.

Got home in just over 19mins. Not overly happy with the effort but in the light of how little running I have done in the last month it wasn't to bad. Plan was to have a first mile under 6 mins, hold it from there and then push on for the second lap.

As usual it was a mad dash at the start, a lot of jostling for positions, but got into my own rhythm fairly quickly. Half way down the first lap a woman was stranded in the middle of all the runners holding her dog, one of the guys in front of me ran straight in to her, she wasn't impressed but what she was doing there I don't know. The course has changed in a bit in recent years and I was surprised toee the lead runners on the return leg running for the soft sand which was putting distance on themselves, 2/3 of the guys in front of me took the more direct route over the rougher sand and I followed them.

At the start of the second lap I felt I was breathing a bit heavy but put the head down and pushed on, come the turn 4/5 of had passed me out, I tried to dig in a bit and see could I hang on to the guy in front. It was tough going but I passed two guys in the dash to the line. Felt wrecked at the end, it was tough. Mile splits were:

M1 - 5:55
    M2 - 6:18
    M3 - 6:22
    .01 - 29secs - p.m 5:24

A bit disappointed that the mile splits were slowing as the race went on but I found the second lap tougher than I was expecting and it was more a case of hanging on to those who were passing me on rather than pushing on. After the race calf felt very sore, it was hurting when my foot was hitting the ground as a result done a very short cool down and focused on the stretching.

Thursday 18th May
    Round two with the physio. Calf not great, once or twice I had to run to cross the road and it was hurting. The recommendation, no more running till after the June bank holiday when I have my next appointment. It needs rest. Can do spinning and bike work so will focus on that for the next few weeks.

I was looking forward to the Dunboyne 5mile as I had never done it before but will have to miss it now. Fingers crossed the rest does the trick, the injury has been hanging round to long, I just want rid of it.

Still recovering from injury but have got back to the gym. No running so it has been spinning and cycling for cardio work.

Monday 23rd May
    Pilates (tough) followed by a half hour spinning class which was fine

Wednesday 25th May
    45 min spinning class, found the last 10/15 mins tough going. The fitness level is starting to drop. Done pilates and ab work afterwards

Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th May
    Had planned to hit the gym one of the days but went out both nights, followed by lie ins both mornings and a weekend of sport on the telly meant I never made the gym. Tennis, Rugby, Soccer, F1, GAA, god knows how many hours I watched, was wrecked come Monday morning.

Monday 30th May
    Pilates, 30min spinning class (good workout), 10 mins on the bike and then some ab work.

Back to Physio Thursday week, so will keep things going as they are, calf has improved but not sure how it will hold up to running once again. Was looking forward to BHAA race in Dunboyne, hopefully next year.

Thursday 9th June
    Back to the physio to have the calf looked again, no running for the last 3 weeks per their instructions. Recovery is going slow, it is definitely recovering but in its own time, have restricted myself to spinning and cycling to keep my cardio levels up.

Got more dry needling down and some massage. It still felt tight and at times it was fairly painful. I have a few injuries in the past and they have all been on the right leg, so the physio feels that the support that my orthotics are givening me is not enough. The current pair I have from probably 05 or 06, I got them at the martathon expo, so they may be past their best. We left it that I would go for a run on Sunday, and then talk Monday to see how I felt and if I want to go ahead with the new orthotics.

Sunday 12th June
    Ran 6.59mls in 47:10, avg per mile of 7:09. Was looking forward to this run so was disapointed when I got up in the morning that it was raining fairly heavy but was hoping that it would clear up for my late afternoon run. By the time I headed of the rain had eased of somewhat to a light drizzle. Jogged down to the phoenix park done a few minutes of stretching and off I went. Plan was to take it easy and run for 45-50mins.

Run went well was a bit faster than I planned but I was comfortable enough at the pace so just kept going. The calf did feel a bit tight and I also thought there was a slight niggle in the left as well. Route was out chesterfield avenue, and then a big loop of the fifteen acres and pitches, back up the Khyber road (tough going), round the papal cross and back to the wellington monument. Splits were

M1 - 7:08
    M2 - 7:14
    M3 - 7:11
    M4 - 7:10
    M5 - 7:28 (Khyber road)
    M6 - 7:09
    0.59 - 3:50, mile avg of 6:27

On the whole happy with the run, it was good to get back out there. Feel fine now, will do some work on the foam roller, hopefully everything will be ok in the morning. I found after the last few runs the morning after the calf has been quite bad. This has been a long drawn out recovery, it first appeared at the end of March and nearly ten weeks later it's still there.

• Advertisement

To try and push things on in my recovery, I had set the target of running two days running last week had a few things on during the week so held of on running till Saturday and Sunday. Leg had felt ok during the week, things have greatly improved.

Saturday 18th June
    Aim for the day was an easy 10k run. Mission accomplished. Hit 10k in 44:32, which was 30 seconds quicker than last week.

M1 - 7:02
    M2 - 7:20
    M3 - 7:13
    M4 - 7:04
    M5 - 7:23
    M6 - 6:50
    0.25 - 1:40 - 6:34 mile split.

Stuck to the usual route of grass and trails with a small bit of road thrown in. On the whole happy, leg felt ok and did pick things up at the end

Sunday 19th June
    Aim was to run for an hour, was feeling good at the end and put the foot down and finished in 59:48. Ran a total of 8.4 miles with an average mile split of 7:07. Splits were

M1 - 7:11
    M4 - 7:14
    M5 - 7:24
    M6 - 7:20
    M7 - 7:02
    M8 - 6:37
    0.40 - 2:24 - 5:58 mile split

Happy with both runs and seem to be getting over the injury slowly but surely. Ankle felt a bit sore on Monday morning.

Monday 20th June
    Pilates (tough) and Spinning. Went for the shorter spinning class, was working hard. Did think the climbing sections were annoying the ankle so held back a bit towards the end.

Was planning on doing the Clontarf half at the beggining of July but am not so sure now if it is a good idea. Will decide for definite closer to the date.

Saturday 25th June
    Went to the gym. 20 mins on the bike, ab work and weights. Am going to put more structure into my gym work from now on. I think I have used the injury to slacken of on the gym.

Sunday 26th June
    Ran 10.07 miles in 74:19. It was hot out, just seen on the news it hit 24c in the park. First 5 miles were ok but the second half was tough. Second time up the Khyber road was a killer. Splits were

M1 - 7:07
    M3 - 7:12
    M4 - 7:15
    M5 - 7:33
    M6 - 7:40
    M7 - 7:25
    M8 - 7:17
    M9 - 7:54 - second time up Khyber road, it was hard work
    M10 - 7:14 - pushed on for last mile
    0.07 - 24 Secs - 5:59 mile split

Happy to get a relatively long run in again. Had planned a run for Friday night but cancelled with the rain. Leg has greatly improved, I still think there is a slight niggle but the physio said I need to run on it to test it out. It feels ok now but I will do some work on the foam roller.

Plan for next week is Pilates tomorrow, followed by the BHAA 5k in Phoenix Park and gym work on Thursday. Hopefully the race will go well, will start of an easy and hopefully pick it up as the race goes on.

Will skip the Clontarf half, it's a bit to far to race at the moment. Have the marathon series 5 mile to work towards and would like to do the Dublin Mountains half.

Monday 27th June
    Pilates (really tough) followed by 20mins easy on the bike

Tuesday 28th June
    Prison Services BHAA 5k Phoenix Park. First race since the ESB Beach race. Have been training lightly since then to give the calf a chance to recover. Was looking forward to this but was slightly nervous just in case the leg didn't hold up. Plan was to start of easy and finish strong. Very happy with the effort got home in just under 19mins with my mile splits getting faster as the race went on, splits were

M1 - 6:16
    M2 - 6:14
    M3 - 5:58
    .08ml - 24secs - mile split 4:46

Start was changed this year and it lead to things been very congested at the start. Felt comfortable for the first lap and then pushed on for the last mile and raised a sprint for the last 200 metres or so.

Leg feels fine now, will do some foam roller work, hopefully this is the end of my injury problems. Will run again on thursday with a longer run on Sunday.

Thursday 30th June
    Ran 6.57 miles in 45:37 mins giving an average per mile of 6:57. Wasn't expecting to have mile splits under 7 mins, but felt good after Tuesdays race so decided go with the flow. Splits were

M1 - 7:06
    M2 - 7:17
    M3 - 7:07
    M4 - 7:09
    M5 - 7:18
    M6 - 6:29
    0.57 - 3:12 per mile split of 5:39

Felt good after the first five miles so decided to put the foot down for the last mile and a bit which is back in on Chesterfield avenue, mile 6 was just below 6:30 and kept the pressure on for the last 800 metres.

Sunday July 3rd
    Longish run of 10.14 miles in 71:53, average per mile of 7:05. Was on the road just after ten but it was still quite warm, so found it a bit tough at times. It was the same route as last Sunday but this time I was nearly 2.5mins faster.

M1 - 7:07
    M2 - 7:04
    M3 - 7:15
    M5 - 7:25
    M6 - 7:11
    M7 - 7:01
    M8 - 7:00
    M9 - 7:14
    M10 - 6:41
    0.14 - 46secs, mile split of 5:25

Very happy with the effort. I am taking this as a sign that the injury problems are behind me, calf and achilles feel fine. Don't want to get carried away so am going to follow this routine for the next two weeks leading up the National Lottery 5 miler and all going well will put more structure on the training then for DCM 2011. Hopefully all this running up the Khyber road should stand to me in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Good to c u back on the road caprica... Hopefully thats the end of ur injury nightmare... Best of Luck in ur training

Tuesday 5th July
    Ran 6.27 miles in 44:33 giving an average per mile of 7:06

M1 - 7:09
    M2 - 7:07
    M3 - 6:52
    M4 - 7:20
    M5 - 7:34
    M6 - 6:53
    0.27 - 1:37, , mile split of 6:00

Ran just over 10k, good solid effort, leg felt good.

Thursday 7th July
    Ran 6.44 miles in 44:40 giving an average per mile of 6:56

M1 - 7:03
    M2 - 7:10
    M3 - 6:56
    M4 - 7:07
    M5 - 7:09
    M6 - 6:31
    0.44 - 2:43, mile split of 6:12

Ran 250mtrs further than Tuesday but in the same time. Felt good all the way round, decided to push things a bit going up the Khyber road, it will be a tough finish to the 5 miler.

Sunday 10th July
    Ran 10.81 miles in 74:30 giving an average per mile of 6:54. Decided to run the 5 mile route. Was a bit quicker than I planned, went through 10k in 43:13, which is the quickest I have done a 10k since I got back into training, held back a bit second time round. The first 3 miles are nice and easy, mile 4 round the s bends is not as easy and mile 5 up the Kyhber road is pretty tough. I think a lot of people will suffer in the last 2k or so.

M1 - 6:55
    M2 - 7:03
    M3 - 6:52
    M4 - 6:45
    M5 - 6:47
    M6 - 7:07
    M7 - 7:06
    M8 - 7:01
    M9 - 6:39
    M10 - 6:55
    0.81 - 5:22 , mile avg 6:39

Very happy with the run. Running miles around the 7min mark felt very comfortable, I assumed I was going slower, the fitness is coming back quicker than I expected. Hopefully the 5 miler goes well next Saturday, looking forward to it, it's great to be running injury free (Hopefully it lasts).

Plan for the rest of the week is

Monday - Pilates & Spinning
    Tuesday - Easy run 45 min - 1 hour
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - massage
    Saturday - 5 miler
    Sunday - Dublin Mountains Plod

Monday 11th July
    Pilates (very tough) and Spinning. Done the half hour class and went as hard as I could, good class

Tuesday 12th July
    Ran 6.38mls in 45:01, average per mile of 7:04

M1 - 7:42
    M2 - 6:51
    M3 - 7:13
    M5 - 6:46
    M6 - 6:45
    0.38 - 2:30, mile avg of 6:37.

Not sure what happened for the first mile. Decided to push things going up the Khyber road (M5), was working a bit on it. Could be tough on Saturday after 4 miles at full speed beforehand.

Thursday 14th July
    Went for massage to loosen up the legs. Right calf still felt a bit tight so extra work was done on that. As soon as she started on it I could feel a bit of pain, funny thing is it feels fine now when I run.

Heading of shortly for the 5 miler, hopefully it will go well. Will aim to be very close to 30mins, would love to go sub-30 but have lost some fitness since 29:10 in RTE back in May. Plan is still to the Dublin mountains half tomorrow slowly as a training run.

Saturday 16th July
    5 miles in 30:07, average mile split of 6:01. Very happy with the time, was aiming for low 30 mins but didn't think I would be so close to sub 30. I had the course bang on 5 miles, per the garmin it was 5 miles and 21mtrs. Splits were:

M1 - 6:04
    M2 - 5:54
    M3 - 5:42
    M4 - 6:08
    M5 - 6:16
    .01 - 4 secs, 4:58 per mile.

Very well organised race. I was positioned towards the front of wave 1 and got over the start line in 5/6 seconds there was still a bit of weaving in and out between people but it probably stopped me from going out to hard. Bit of a breeze round the north road. Pushed on for Miles 2 & 3 to go sub 6 and give me a few seconds in the bank for the tougher miles ahead. Held back slightly on Mile 4 as I wanted a bit in reserve for the Khyber, worked hard up the Khyber and put the foot down when it levelled of.

I probably should not have held back round the s bends, it probably stopped me from going sub 30 but I will gladly take a 30:07 after the injuries over the last few weeks and months. I think it might have been better if wave 1 was for sub 35 and the second wave was 35-45mins. It mightn't be as a big an issue for the ten miler. Looking forward to tomorrows half in the Dublin mountains.

Sunday 17th July
    Really enjoyed this race. Got home in 1:42:45, average per mile of 7:51. Was surprised when I reached Marlay park to see it was windy, it was fine in the city centre, but one of the guys in the queue at registration said the wind would be on our back. Was a bit unsure of what to expect so my plan was to start of conservatively and see could I pick of people along the way, try and run all the hills and hopefully put in a stong final 3 miles. Splits were:

M1 - 7:40
    M2 - 7:44
    M3 - 8:11
    M4 - 10:28
    M5 - 9:49
    M6 - 7:33
    M7 - 7:25
    M8 - 10:22
    M9 - 8:17
    M10 - 7:07
    M11 - 5:52
    M12 - 5:45
    M13 - 6:05
    0.1 - 31secs

Mission accomplished. Hills were testing but I ran them all. I found the downhills tough especially the final one, was very happy to reach the road after M10 and then put the foot down. Picked of four lads in the final few miles. Nearly a five minute split between my slowest and fastest miles.

Turns out the conditions were ideal, the wind was on our back going up the hills and there was a few light showers which were more than welcome. Found this to be a very well organised race, well marshalled, good atmosphere, great views back down to the city. On the basis of my first race with them, I am very impressed with IMRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Considering you raced yesterday thats a great time today. Well done. I'd recommend all of the IMRA races. How dare you say 'it was great to hit the road'! :D The trail is where its at ;)

Monday 18th July
    Pilates, very tough as is the usual now followed by 25mins on the bike to loosen the legs.

Thursday 21st July
    Ran 6.62mls in 47:14, giving an average per mile of 7:08

M1 - 6:56
    M2 - 7:19
    M3 - 7:07
    M4 - 7:17
    M5 - 7:24
    M6 - 6:53
    0.62 - 4:17, mile average of 6:52

Legs felt a bit heavy all week so decided to take the previous two days of, nice comfortable relaxed run. Cool and damp out, a nice evening for a run

Saturday 21st July
    Ran 11.23mls in 81:06, average per mile of 7:13

M1 - 7:12
    M2 - 7:23
    M3 - 7:01
    M4 - 7:06
    M5 - 7:19
    M6 - 7:21
    M7 - 7:15
    M8 - 7:11
    M9 - 7:31
    M10 - 7:18
    M11 - 7:02
    0.23 - 1:29, mile average of 6:29

Found this a bit tough, legs still felt heavy and it was warm out so some of the later miles were tough. Happy to get to the end. Will do some work on the foam roller to loosen the legs up. Going to give the BHAA mile race a shot on wednesday, can't remember if I have done a mile race on the track before. Have a PB of 5:19 from Trinity, would be nice to improve on that but we will see what happens.

Tuesday 26th July
    Ran 6.60mls in 47:23, average per mile of 7:11

M1 - 7:09
    M2 - 7:16
    M4 - 7:13
    M5 - 7:20
    M6 - 6:59
    0.60 - 4:09, mile avg of 6:55

Comfortable run. Ran up the Khyber road and back down with the final stretch the hill up wellington road. Not as bad as the hill up the Khyber, will run a few more times in advance of the ten miler. Legs felt a bit heavy.

Wednesday 27th July
    BHAA/Aviva 1 mile race. Finished in 5:20, which is just outside my PB. A bit disappointed with the time, when I finished I felt I had more in the tank, could easily have got a new PB.

I found it a bit congested. Didn't want to go of to hard so sat at the back of the group before I knew it the group behind my standard was passing me out. There was runners all round me and it was hard to get daylight, come the end of lap 2, I was out in lane 3 trying to pass out people. For the last lap I had a clear path in front of me so was able to push on a bit. If I was to do it again I would probably go out harder and get to the front of the group and see what happens from there.

Thursday 28th July
    Ran 6.55mls in 47:12, average per mile of 7:12. Splits were

M2 - 7:15
    M3 - 7:16
    M5 - 7:28
    M6 - 7:05
    0.55 - 3:42, mile split 6:43

Comfortable run, Mile 5 was up the Khyber road, ran back down it for Mile 6 and then finished up the hill on wellington road.

Saturday 30 July
    Ran 13.13mls in 93:53, average per mile of 7:09. Splits were

M1 - 7:01
    M2 - 7:08
    M3 - 7:06
    M4 - 7:06
    M6 - 7:13
    M7 - 7:07
    M8 - 7:04
    M9 - 6:55
    M10 - 7:17
    M11 - 7:18
    M12 - 7:17
    M13 - 7:12
    0.13 - 0:50, mile split 6:15.

Found this a bit tough. Didn't hit the road till around 2, so found it a bit humid out. Tried to incorporate the Frank Duffy route into the run. Found the hill on wellington road fine but the final strectch up round St. Marys Hospital and up towards the papal cross tough, that was mile 10 and stuggled a bit from their on. Was surprised to see that mile split was faster than Thursdays run. On the whole the Frank Duffy course is pretty fair, will aim for a time in the low 60's. Base of calf felt a bit sore.

Tuesday 2nd August
    Ran 9:30mls in 66:19, average per mile of 7:08. Hit the road just before nine, nice evening for a run, although you can see the evenings starting to close in a bit. Splits were

M2 - 7:13
    M3 - 7:12
    M4 - 7:01
    M5 - 7:06
    M6 - 7:12
    M7 - 7:18
    M8 - 7:20
    M9 - 7:03
    0.3 - 1:57, mile split 6:26

Nice controlled run. Lower calf bit sore now and legs feel a bit heavy. I think I need to put a bit more structure on my training, I just seems to be heading for runs at the moment, with all of them being around the same mile speed the only variation being the lenght.

Thursday 4th August
    Ran 7mls in 49:21, average per mile of 7:03. Splits were

M2 - 7:34
    M4 - 6:48
    M5 - 6:50
    M6 - 7:02
    M7 - 6:54

Out round the north road, keeping to the perimeter of the park, down in to the furry glen, back on to the upper glen road, up the acres road, down Khyber road and finally up Wellington road to finish. I like this route, nice and flat to start of with, downhill stretch followed by hills at the end, a bit of everthing really.

The hill up the acres road is tough. It's short sharp drag at the beginning of acres road which then eases of into a gradual drag for the remainder. Plan to incorporate into all my training runs from now on. Aiming for 16mls tomorrow, plan to be on the road early, so as to avoid the heat and humidity of the last few weekends.

Sunday 7th August
    Ran 16.14mls in 1hr 56mins 26secs, average per mile of 7:13. Kicked of just after 9, plan was to do two laps like Thursday and add on an extra two miles to make up the target of 16 miles. Park was busy plenty of runners out on a nice sunny morning, the humidity of the last few weekends was absent. Stomach felt a bit dodgy at times througout the run, not so sure what was up, felt really bad round 10/11 miles but times don't show it.

M1 - 7:05
    M2 - 7:26
    M4 - 6:59
    M5 - 7:10
    M6 - 7:29
    M7 - 7:16
    M8 - 7:15
    M9 - 7:25
    M10 -7:20
    M11 - 7:11
    M12 - 7:10
    M13 - 7:23
    M14 - 6:57
    M15 - 7:25
    M16 - 6:53
    0.14 - 47 secs, mile avg of 5:45

Tried to keep consistent 5 mile splits,which I achieved, M1-5 was 35:55, M6-10 was 36:10 and M11-15 was 36:06. Switched of a bit for M15 but picked it up for the final mile and a bit. Overall good effort. Cardio wise very comfortable all the way round. Acres road felt a bit better today. Will throw in a few different routes over the next few weeks, seem to find a route that I like and then run it till I am bored of it. Aiming for a long run of 18mls next Sunday and hopefully a 10ml PB the week after in the Frank Duffy.

Monday 8th August
    Ran 6.37mls in 45:30, average per mile of 7:09. Pilates was cancelled so had to decide between Spinning or an easy run. Went with the running option, lower calf down to the achilles is a bit sore so thought it would be best to avoid spinning. Splits were

M2 - 7:21
    M3 - 7:20
    M4 - 7:18
    M5 - 7:06
    M6 - 6:52
    0.37 - 2:23, mile split 6:27

Am a bit nervous with the leg at the moment, there is a slight niggle there and I don't want to aggrivate it, strecthing and using the foam roller, I don't want to return to the problems I had after Paris. I decided to have a relaxed run, stuck to the plan for the first 4 miles and then started to pick things up. The last two miles felt good, nice relaxed, easy running. Will try and slow things down a bit this week but it is something I find difficult. On a positive note there was no heaviness in the legs after yesterdays long run.

Wednesday 10th August
    Ran 6.29mls in 43:42, avg mile split 6:57

M1 - 6:34
    M2 - 6:59
    M3 - 7:05
    M4 - 7:08
    M5 - 7:04
    M6 - 6:59
    0.29 - 1:54, mile split 6:35

Ran this quicker than planned but it felt comfortable. Had planned on running 3 days in a row but after the run the calf felt quite sore along with the hip, so I took the next few days of.

Monday 15th August
    Ran a total of 15.29mls in 1:52:57, average per mile of 7:23. This was tough, had been aiming for 18mls but towards the end the hip felt sore so decided to call it quits at just beyond the 15ml mark. Calf felt ok, it was quite warm out. Splits were:

M1 - 7:20
    M2 - 7:24
    M3 - 7:11
    M4 - 7:11
    M5 - 7:15
    M6 - 7:30
    M7 - 7:10
    M8 - 7:27
    M9 - 7:38
    M10 - 7:23
    M11 - 7:21
    M12 - 7:31
    M13 - 7:37
    M14 - 7:35
    M15 - 7:23
    0.29 - 1:56, mile split 6:42

Had a massage in the afternoon. Both calves very tight, they felt the hip was ok that the problem seemed to be the top of the quad, so I was told to do plenty of strectching on it. Had pilates in the evening, not as difficult as previous weeks, done 15mins on the bike afterwards to loosen up the legs

Tuesday 16th August
    Gym in the morning followed by a run in the evening. Per the Garmin ran 5.61mls in 42:54, avg per mile of 7:39. Around mile 3 stopped to tie my runner, stopped my watch and forget to restart it, realised about a mile later. Ran for a total of 52mins. Garmin splits were

M1 - 7:48
    M2 - 7:46
    M3 - 7:33
    M4 - 7:34
    M5 - 7:28
    0.61 - 4:47

My slowest run for a while but was more interested in getting out and seeing how the legs felt. Nice relaxed run, cardio wise no problems bit of stiffness in the calves but overall felt fine.

Wednesday 17th August
    Ran 6.89mls in 50:58, average per mile of 7:24. Again aim was to run nice and easy, just to see how the legs felt. Nice run, towards the end right calf was niggling again. Splits were

M1 - 7:16
    M2 - 7:32
    M3 - 7:51
    M6 - 7:30
    0.89 - 6:22, mile split 7:10

Same route as Tuesday, bit of a wind blowing across the acres road which made it a bit tougher. Not sure whether I will go for a run tonight, going to do some work on the foam roller to loosen up the legs. Roll on the ten miler.

• Advertisement

Got home in 65:25, a disappointing run, not what I was expecting or hoping for. Just didn't have it in the legs, even warming up the legs felt heavy and tired but I felt that once I got racing I would be fine. I had set a target of 61:29, which would have been a PB by 2 mins but I felt that PB was slower than what I am able capable of, it was set back in 2007 and I have improved a lot since then. Come the end of mile 2, I knew my target time was not going to be reached but a PB was still on. Splits were:

M1 - 6:12
    M2 - 6:15
    M3 - 6:09
    M4 - 6:23
    M5 - 6:30
    M6 - 6:54
    M7 - 6:46
    M8 - 6:48
    M9 - 6:38
    M10 - 6:50

Disappointing to see that not one mile was under 6mins. I though I was going to give it a good shot as I had a good run in the 5 miler (30:07) and had moved things on a bit in training. Done a long run on Monday, which didn't go great, but had a massage after and then ran around 13mls between Tuesday and Wednesday so I certainly didn't over do the miles in the last week.

I went through halfway in 31:29 so still on for a PB but miles 6 - 10 took 33:26, so was the best part of 2.5mins slower. Found the stretch out Chesterfield tough going and was going backwards from their on. It was tough going keeping the legs turning over.

At the start of the year I had set this as a target race as in 2010 I had set PB's in all the distances I ran from the mile up. So I guess it will have to wait till next year. Next race is the BHAA 2miles and then the Bristol half tomorrow 3 weeks, where I am hoping for a new PB.

Not sure what went wrong, probably just a bad day. It's been a long time since I can say I've been dissapointed with how I ran. Will aim to do a light run tomorrow, legs feel very heavy and tired now.

Advertisement