Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Sky Shake-up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Anyone think this will lead to further speculation that they will up the per pack prices to automatically give HD channels to everyone and remove the €15 charge? I remember this was talked about some stage last year but never came about. Or is that just wishful thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Doubt it. The HD charge is pulling in a substantial amount of revenue at the moment and steadily rising month on month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Kensington wrote: »
    Doubt it. The HD charge is pulling in a substantial amount of revenue at the moment and steadily rising month on month.

Yes but if instead of getting €15 from each HD subscriber who make up about 1/3* of all subscribers, they got €6 in revenue from increased subs for 100% of subscribers, they'd increase their revenue by 20%. All packs would go up presumably including movies and sports (and then in 6 months they would start advertising that HD channels were free:D). I guess the financial downside is that they would have to give everyone a HD box if they were charging everyone for the channels and I'm sure the bean counters in Sky have assessed the models in far greater detail than I.

*http://corporate.sky.com/about_sky/key_facts_and_figures.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Upping prices across the board risks loosing you customers who aren't prepared to pay the increased prices.

As long as people are prepared to pay extra for HD, clearly they are, sky will continue to charge for it.

If they do eventually decide to drop it, I could see them making it free for subscribers who take sports or movies but remain as is for non-premium subs, at least for a while. They did this originally with the sky+ charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It’s a step in the right direction, but the EPG will still be a mess.

Having the +1 channels dotted all over the guide looks terrible. Either group them all together, or ensure they are next to the main channel. If a channel has the same content across its SD and HD channels then it should only get one EPG slot. If you have HD, you simply get the HD version. Having poor quality channels in between groups of premium channels (e.g. Nollywood Movies on 329!) also looks terrible.

One thought I have would to allow each channel to retain its current channel number in the Sky guide (think of it as a shortcut to the channel). However, the default ordering for the channels in the guide would not be based on channel number. Instead, channels could be ordered as they would ideally appear – e.g. all the Sky Movie channels together and all the +1’s and variants beside their main channel. Rather than setting up favourites it would also be nice to be able to “deselect” or “hide” channels you don’t want in the EPG, but I can’t see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

All the info on the new EPG is on this....

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2011/New_Sky_EPG.htm

There's no denying that it's stronger lineup now at the top of the EPG. Shame "Living Loves", "Sky 2" and "Sky Livingit" survived the cull.

It would be a really strong lineup if we had the extra ITVs and BBCs in our guide, but that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Already been discussed here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056110678

No need for 2 threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

It's going to be horrible for people who have a HD box but a standard sub if they intend just to default all HD boxes to the new EPG. That means that people on a SD sub will have to go delving deep into high EPG numbers to find the stations they are paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's going to be horrible for people who have a HD box but a standard sub if they intend just to default all HD boxes to the new EPG. That means that people on a SD sub will have to go delving deep into high EPG numbers to find the stations they are paying for.

Won't affect anyone with an SD sub and HD box-The reshuffle is for HD subscribers only. E.g SkyoneHD swaps to channel 106 from 170.
    Just makes it easier for HD subscribers to got through the dedicated HD channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Is there an Irish variant of LivingHD and Comedy Central HD (ie the HD versions but with Irish ads)?

If not it would hardly make sense for them to switch the SD and HD channels on the Irish EPG.

Has there been any information about this happening on the Irish EPG?

Is there an Irish variant of LivingHD and Comedy Central HD (ie the HD versions but with Irish ads)?

Nope, there's only one of each. Not even Sky 1 have an Irish HD version.

http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/28east.html

So the HD swap wouldn't make much sense for some of the channels? Maybe they won't do it in Ireland so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

. . . Maybe they won't do it in Ireland so.

Somebody on the Digital Spy forums claims to have seen the final "official" line-up and says that the Sky-branded channels are swapping in Ireland but the others are not : i.e. Com~Central / SyFy / Universal

I think this is ridiculous - yes, I understand that ad revenue is important but I've NEVER watched the (Irish) SD versions of these channels as, in many cases but not all, the HD version was in existence BEFORE the Irish variant was . . .

--- The person also says that FX is not swapping for Ireland but, correct me if I'm wrong, does FX even have an Irish version ???

Haven't been tracking the chatter on the DS forums, but on Sky's own forums they have confirmed this:
    Most of the changes will be the same for ROI apart from Universal, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon and E4 channels which are also not swapping.
    Thanks

Robert
    Sky Knowledge Advisor

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/New-Sky-EPG-line-up-from-1st-February/td-p/29459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Are they leaving the HD sub-menu in the EPG?

I almost instinctively go to this section first, then Page Down through the HD-originated programmes.

Also is Sky Atlantic HD being grouped with the movie channels?
    The channel branding would suggest this to me.

Owenw wrote: »

No.

No. Entertainment section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So just for clarity - for the plebs (like me) with an SD sub and box there will be no change...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

JDxtra wrote: »
    No.

Re the HD subtab - according to the infomercial on Sky Anytime they are retaining this. I also find it quite handy.

greendom wrote: »
    So just for clarity - for the plebs (like me) with an SD sub and box there will be no change...?

Right - no change, your SD channels will still be on 106 / 401 / 501 etc...

Comedy Central / Universal / SyFy / MTV will move for you as they are moving for everybody although the HD versions of the first 2 aren't swapping for us in Ireland . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The ads are showing it to be CH 108

Re the HD subtab - according to the infomercial on Sky Anytime they are retaining this. I also find it quite handy.

Correct. The posters question was ambiguous - we read different meanings into his use if the word leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

Just to confirm, Sky Sports HD will move to 401-405?

I probably should have titled the thread The Big Sky Mix Up! Looks like the Irish channel line-up will end up looking less and less like the UK one. Some HD channels swapping with their SD counterparts and some not...

The Sky channels will swap? But does that make sense for Sky's Irish advertisers? Maybe in terms of the number of SD satellite and cable viewers, but what HD subscribers would choose to watch Sky News in SD on channel 517 (or whatever it will be) just to see the Irish ads? So as more Sky subscribers switch to HD, the Irish advertisers wll lose more viewers.

Am I seeing this right or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Slightly off topic but any sign of C4 hd coming?
    Also i seem to have lost ITV HD in my other channels option,any one else lost it too?

I probably should have titled the thread The Big Sky Mix Up! Looks like the Irish channel line-up will end up looking less and less like the UK one. Some HD channels swapping with their SD counterparts and some not...

The Sky channels will swap? But does that make sense for Sky's Irish advertisers? Maybe in terms of the number of SD satellite and cable viewers, but what HD subscribers would choose to watch Sky News in SD on channel 517 (or whatever it will be) just to see the Irish ads? So as more Sky subscribers switch to HD, the Irish advertisers wll lose more viewers.

Am I seeing this right or am I missing something?

I know - it seems silly to me.

Sky are favouring their CUSTOMERS and not their advertisers as their own HD channels are swapping with their (Irish) SD counterparts.

I have NEVER watched Universal's Irish variant (née Hallmark) because the HD version was in existence BEFORE the Irish variant . . .

Do they really think I'll be watching it now just because it'll be on 113 ???

--- NO : I'll still be watching Universal HD on 220 !

Correct. The posters question was ambiguous - we read different meanings into his use if the word leaving!

I thought I was quite clear actually! :D
    me wrote:

Back on topic:

I'd imagine advertising revenue is dropping, so Sky has to rely more on subscribers to premium packages. They have timed the launch of Sky Atlantic to perfection, right in the middle of a recession when people are looking around for non-essentials to cut. Pushing HD channels will encourage people to stick with the HD fees for a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

What package is sky Atlantic HD going into?

What package is sky Atlantic HD going into?

I believe it is for all subscribers initially (6 months) and then the variety pack after that.

• Advertisement

The confirmed EPG lineup for the entertainment section in Ireland:
    101 RTE1
    102 RTE2
    103 TV3
    104 TG4
    105 3e
    106 Sky 1 HD
    107 Sky Living HD
    108 Sky Atlantic HD
    109 Watch
    110 GOLD
    111 Dave
    112 Comedy Central
    113 Universal
    114 Syfy HD
    121 Sky Living+1
    122 Sky Livingit
    123 Sky Livingit+1
    124 FX HD
    125 Challenge
    126 MTV
    127 ComedyCtrl+1
    128 ComedyCtralX
    129 Sky2
    130 Sky Living Loves
    132 alibi
    133 GOLD+1
    134 S4C
    135 Channel 4
    136 Channel 4+1
    137 E4
    138 E4+1
    139 More4
    141 BBC1 NI
    142 BBC2 NI
    143 BBC HD
    144 DMAX
    145 DMAX+1
    146 CBS Reality
    147 CBS Reality +1
    148 CBS Action
    149 CBS Drama
    150 Universal+1
    151 E! Entertainment
    152 Sky3
    153 Sky3+1
    154 QUEST
    155 Watch+1
    156 Bio
    157 Film24
    158 Dave ja vu
    159 ComedyCtlX+1
    160 MTV+1
    164 Challenge+1
    165 FX+
    166 Information TV
    167 QUEST+1
    170 Sky 1
    172 Sky Living
    173 Sky Atlantic
    183 Current TV
    184 BEN
    187 AIT Int'l
    188 True Ent
    189 Info TV+1
    190 Open Access 3
    191 BET
    193 FX
    195 propeller
    198 BET+1
    199 OHTV
    200 Controversial tv
    201 Showcase
    203 Showcase 2
    204 HiTV
    205 Syfy+1
    206 DMAX+2
    209 alibi+1
    211 Bio HD
    212 Sumo TV
    214 Syfy
    215 E4 HD
    217 Sky 3D
    218 Vox Africa
    219 My Channel
    220 Universal HD
    221 OBE
    222 Comedy Central HD

Source: skyguide.sky.com/ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

there will still be the HD tab button in the EPG i presume to bunch all the HD chans together?

i mean some of the HD chans are spaced quite....far apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BArra wrote: »
    there will still be the HD tab button in the EPG i presume to bunch all the HD chans together?

i mean some of the HD chans are spaced quite....far apart

Yeah that tab will be there.

Thera actually a short film on anytime at the moment which explains about the changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Getting Sky installed in a couple of weeks, not getting the HD package though. Will these HD channels be taking up the more desirable channel locations on the basic package? Will 106 be Sky 1 or Sky 1 HD on the basic package?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Getting Sky installed in a couple of weeks, not getting the HD package though. Will these HD channels be taking up the more desirable channel locations on the basic package? Will 106 be Sky 1 or Sky 1 HD on the basic package?

Sky 1.

AFAIK these changes only affect the EPG on HD boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Sky 1.

AFAIK these changes only affect the EPG on HD boxes.

We are getting a free Sky + HD box installed. Just not getting the hd package!

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    We are getting a free Sky + HD box installed. Just not getting the hd package!

Sky 1 will be on 106 if you don't have the HD pack (even on HD boxes).

BArra wrote: »

Yes, it will look like this...
    106 Sky 1 HD
    107 Sky Living HD
    108 Sky Atlantic HD
    114 Syfy HD
    124 FX HD
    143 BBC HD
    211 Bio. HD
    215 E4 HD
    220 Universal HD
    222 Comedy Central HD
    243 Sky Arts 1 HD
    245 Sky Arts 2 HD
    249 Good Food HD
    271 Luxury Life HD
    301 Sky PremiereHD
    303 Sky Showcase HD
    304 Sky Comedy HD
    305 Sky Action HD
    306 Sky Family HD
    307 Sky Thriller HD
    308 Sky DramaRom HD
    309 Sky ScFi/HorHD
    310 Sky MdnGrtsHD
    311 Sky Movies Classics HD
    312 Sky Indie HD
    345 MGM HD
    358 MTVN HD
    401 Sky Sports HD1
    402 Sky Sports HD2
    403 Sky Sports HD3
    404 Sky Sports HD4
    405 Sky Sports News HD
    412 Eurosport HD
    417 ESPN HD
    430 ESPN America HD
    452 Rush HD
    501 Sky News HD
    526 Nat Geo HD
    528 Nat Geo Wild HD
    529 History HD
    532 Eden HD
    536 Discovery HD
    555 Crime HD
    607 Disney XD HD
    622 Disney Cine HD
    632 Nickelodeon HD
    752 SBO 1 HD
    753 SBO 2 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭seanw7

Where the F*** did ITV HD go... Utd Match is on at 5:15 Grrrrrrrrrr....

seanw7 wrote: »
    Where the F*** did ITV HD go... Utd Match is on at 5:15 Grrrrrrrrrr....

It was never on the Irish EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭seanw7

Oh i got it back .....

H
    5/6

Now time for Tea !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

who cares what number a channel is on?

if i want discovery i press 3 buttons if i want bbchd i press 3 buttons... 521, 143,

does it really matter or am the only person who remembers the numbers for the most watched channels??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Up to 50 channels on blue/purple button "next" and on Favorites EPG.

The numbers are not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

seanw7 wrote: »
    Oh i got it back .....

H
    5/6

Now time for Tea !!!

Do you have the code for ITV1 +1

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

it was for a limited time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

dahat wrote: »
    it was for a limited time..

When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When does Sky Atlantic appear on the EPG ? Was up early this morning and flicked on the t.v. for a bit and while the channel reorganisation is done there's no sign of this channel, I would have though there'd be a placeholer with the usual message of programs start at ....... or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

ThisRegard wrote: »
    When does Sky Atlantic appear on the EPG ? Was up early this morning and flicked on the t.v. for a bit and while the channel reorganisation is done there's no sign of this channel, I would have though there'd be a placeholer with the usual message of programs start at ....... or whatever.

Yeah, just noticed the same thing. I wonder how this'll work, will there be another channel download later? Seems an odd way to do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What happened to E4 HD and Comedy Central HD?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement