Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Sky Shake-up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

mad muffin wrote: »
    What happened to E4 HD and Comedy Central HD?:confused:

Have you a HD or SD sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

What happened to E4 HD and Comedy Central HD?:confused:

I just noticed that myself WTF!!
    Is this a sneaky deletion from the Irish epg?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Yeah, no sign of channel 108!

MTV, now on channel 126, is currently available to me and I've never subscribed to the music pack???

gtg60 wrote: »
    Have you a HD or SD sub?

Well I have a HD sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

pegasus1 wrote: »
    I just noticed that myself WTF!!
    Is this a sneaky deletion from the Irish epg?:confused:

And Universal HD isn't there either.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

Mtv is now classed as general entertainment and free with that pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

So have we actually lost HD channels and when is Sky Atlantic joiing the EPG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

John mac wrote: »
    who cares what number a channel is on?

if i want discovery i press 3 buttons if i want bbchd i press 3 buttons... 521, 143,

does it really matter or am the only person who remembers the numbers for the most watched channels??
    watty wrote: »
    Up to 50 channels on blue/purple button "next" and on Favorites EPG.

The numbers are not important.

The numbers are very important imo, I think its great that all 5 sky sports hd channels are beside each other now so I can just press channel up when I want to get to them. Instead of blue button and select each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    So have we actually lost HD channels and when is Sky Atlantic joiing the EPG?

No. They are just re-organising it today. I'd expect it all to be sorted by noon.

• Advertisement

Darn - I'll be in work - wanted to peruse the Sky Guide and series link the hell out of everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

- Between 8pm and 9pm, our "Let the stories begin" show will be on Sky Atlantic, Sky 1, Sky 2, Living, Living it, Living Loves, Sky Arts 1 and Sky Arts 2.

- At 9pm our brand new channel, Sky Atlantic, launches on channel 108 in HD and standard definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a cut and paste from the previously linked document. Are you trying to say that it won't appear until 9pm ? I'd be surprised if Sky waited until 9pm to roll it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

sky atlantic is on 108 now

JDxtra wrote: »
    No. They are just re-organising it today. I'd expect it all to be sorted by noon.

They are all there (except Sky Atlantic HD) on the UK EPG.

If they have reduced our HD channels I will be seriously hacked off.:mad:

I would go so far as to switch to UPC, except they aren't in my area.:rolleyes:

Atalntic is there - joy of joys.

No sign of the missing HDs though but I'm not hat bothered about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky Atlantic in SD on CH108. Very misleading by Sky calling it Sky Atlantic HD.Makes a huge amount of people feel that they won't be able to view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's a cut and paste from the previously linked document. Are you trying to say that it won't appear until 9pm ? I'd be surprised if Sky waited until 9pm to roll it out.

granted but people were still asking the question after the link was posted so I thought it would be helpful to actually put the information on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Is it Sky Atlantic HD on the SD version too?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

Can someone pls confirm on Sky Atlantic - we were told it would be on 108 in HD and on 173 in SD?
    But now it seems it is on 108 on both HD and SD?
    My understanding now is:
    if you have a HD sub it is on 108 in HD and on 173 in SD
    if you have a SD sub it is on 108 in SD and 173 in SD??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Can someone pls confirm on Sky Atlantic - we were told it would be on 108 in HD and on 173 in SD?
    My understanding now is:

When I checked this morning @ 8:55am - Channel 108 was not a valid channel. I guess my EPG wasn't updated yet, anyone else have the same problem?

I also checked my Sky+ iPhone app and Sky Atlantic is also not listed yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Sky Atlantic is on the TV Guide, 108 and working!!!!

My understanding now is:

Rizzo a bit of common sense is needed!

if you have hd sub then 108 in hd and 173 in sd
    if you have sd sub then 108 in sd and 173 usual upgrade info :rolleyes:

My understanding now is:

I have an HD sub.

Atlantic is in HD on 108 and SD on 173.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    When I checked this morning @ 8:55am - Channel 108 was not a valid channel. I guess my EPG wasn't updated yet, anyone else have the same problem?

I also checked my Sky+ iPhone app and Sky Atlantic is also not listed yet. :(

My iPhone App has it and reflects all the changes

I have an HD sub.

Atlantic is in HD on 108 and SD on 173.

That's how Sky planned the new EPG lineup with the SD channels swapping places for HD subscribers.Anyone with just a SD sub won't notice the swap,this has all been explained already in this and another thread.
    Sky have also rebranded the Living channels and shifted around a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Any sign of the missing HD channels returning?

Diapason wrote: »
    Any sign of the missing HD channels returning?

Yes just checked the tv....they are back!!!!! e4HD 215, Universal HD 220 and Comedy Central HD 222!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mrdsmith

It's driving me mad reading through this thread. Will people please use a bit of common sense, and stop posting stupid questions.

I can't understand how so many people are having problems understanding this HD/SD swap.
    Most HD channels are swapping with their SD versions, only for customers who subscribe to HD.
    For example, for HD customers, Sky1 HD is now on 106, instead of 170 where it was previous. So for HD customers, the EPG should show Sky1 HD on 106, and Sky1 SD on 170.
    Anyone who does not subscribe to Sky HD will not be affected by the above changes. i.e., your SD channels will be staying put, as will the HD channels on your epg, with the usual "upgrade by calling......." banner appearing on the HD channel.

Sky Atlantic is available on both SD and HD.
    HD customers will see the HD version on 108, and the SD version on 173.
    SD customers will see the SD version on 108, and the HD version on 173.

The reason why they constantly advertise it as SkyAtlanticHD is to encourage customers to subscribe to HD, and to promote their channels in HD. Does that not make sense? They do it for all their HD channels incase you have not noticed, e.g, Sky1HD, SkyNewsHD, and so on.

For HD customers in Ireland, Universal HD, Comedy Central HD, Nickelodeon HD and E4 HD, will not be swapping with their SD channels. However the above HD channels have not ceased broadcasting in Ireland, so relax! If they are not listed on the epg at the moment, don't worry, as they'll be back on it later on. There were a lot of channels changing and rebranding last night, so they have just temporarily been taken off the epg for a few hours. They will be back on soon enough. They are still available to HD customers in Ireland. They just have not swapped with the SD channels, due to advertising reasons.

Anyone who subscribes to the Variety Pack will now also notice that they are able to watch more channels than before. MTV (126), MTV+1 (160), Sky Atlantic (108), Sky Arts1 (243), Sky Arts2 (245), and their associated HD channels are now part of the Variety Pack.

Subscribers to the Music Pack will also notice that MTV (126) is no longer available to them. MTV Music is now on 350, where MTV was previously. All other MTV channels (Base, Hits, etc) have moved up one channel, and MTV Classic is now on 355. MTVN HD is now on 358.

Hope that clears things up!

Yes just checked the tv....they are back!!!!! e4HD 215, Universal HD 220 and Comedy Central HD 222!!:)

Just like what I said above!

Thank you. I'd have preferred to see them moved to the same locations as the UK of course, but I'm just glad Sky haven't pulled a fast one and removed them altogether. To be fair, I would have been surprised.

In other news, I couldn't choose "Republic of Ireland" on the Sky TV Listings page (for remote record) earlier. Now I can choose it, but the listings are incomplete. It seems that the changeover is taking them some time, but glad to see it all taking shape.

• Advertisement

So why did the SD versions of Universal and Comedy Central move to 112/113?

What's the point of that? This was supposed to be an HD channel shake up.

i presume its that they were given the option to or not to move the Hd channel up the epg slots..those channels may or may not be a simulcast from Sd to Hd or that they were afraid of loosing advertising revenue..

i presume its that they were given the option to or not to move the Hd channel up the epg slots..those channels may or may not be a simulcast from Sd to Hd or that they were afraid of loosing advertising revenue..

They are simulcast channels.

They are simulcast channels.

well then its down to my second reason...it's the only one that makes sense...until more people get the Hd pack they probably wont shift it up

Advertising. Does Universal have Irish adverts? I know the SD version of Comedy Central does.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Advertising. Does Universal have Irish adverts? I know the SD version of Comedy Central does.

I don't know.

I never watch the SD channels and I never watch anything live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

bit of a pointless shake up really if some of the HD channels are moving and some are not, you'll still have to go into the HD tab as usual to see the full selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Yes Universal shows Irish ads.

revileandy wrote: »
    bit of a pointless shake up really if some of the HD channels are moving and some are not, you'll still have to go into the HD tab as usual to see the full selection.

Just what I was thinking.

Much ado about nothing, for us in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Mtv being added to variety pack, didn't know this but very good.!

Useful for movies though.

Yes Universal shows Irish ads.

That's the reason so. These channels must have opted out of moving in Ireland for the advertising revenue. They are keeping the Irish ads at the top of the EPG. The Irish Sky customer shafted again.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    That's the reason so. These channels must have opted out of moving in Ireland for the advertising revenue. The Irish Sky customer shafted again.

How so? It's not as if we lost any channels,if anything the subscribers to the basic Variety pack actually gained channels.Just because Sky decided to change around the EPG and give a greater mix of channels ala UPC,they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The big HD shake up seems to have been for the benefit of UK customers only hasn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Advertisers just have more clout than Irish subscribers.

• Advertisement

Universal and Comedy Central have two variants of their SD channels: The UK version and the ROI version. The only difference is the advertising.
    Universal HD and Comedy Central HD only have one variant, which is the UK version. None of the HD channels on Sky (correct me if I am wrong) have Irish HD channels variants.
    So therefore, Comedy Central and Universal did not swap their HD channels in Ireland because they are not full simulcasts, they show the UK advertising. That is the only reason.
    They moved their SD channels up the guide for a because they are Irish versions of the channels, and therefore no reason not to, and also because well, they didn't really have a choice now did they?
    They can't move them in the UK and not in Ireland because then MTV, Sky Living Loves wouldn't have a channel number in ROI.

However Sky don't seem bothered that their HD channels don't have Irish advertising, as they have swapped their HD channels.
    So Sky are thinking about themselves, and the HD customers.
    Whilst Comedy Central and Universal are thinking about their advertisers.

Has anyone got their Sky Magazine yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Yeah I got my mag this morning and I like the way the channels are lined up now on the HD box.I don't think it would be as good on a SD box ,having to scroll down further for SD channels.But for me the line up looks better ,I couldn't care less about advertising for the Irish or whatever as I detest the ads anyway.Roll on 9pm tonight for Sky Atlantic HD :pac:

BArra wrote: »
    Mtv being added to variety pack, didn't know this but very good.!

I know its brilliant.
    All in all, this whole EPG reshuffle is probably one of the best things Sky have done in a long time. Its much, much better than before.
    Sky Atlantic, gonna be brilliant.
    MTV, about time it has been added to the Entertainment section, great channel.
    Hopefully they'll spend a bit of money improving Sky1 and Sky Living programmes.
    But all in all I'm very happy with Sky!

Yeah I got my mag this morning and I like the way the channels are lined up now on the HD box.I don't think it would be as good on a SD box ,having to scroll down further for SD channels.But for me the line up looks better ,I couldn't care less about advertising for the Irish or whatever as I detest the ads anyway.Roll on 9pm tonight for Sky Atlantic HD :pac:
    I haven't got my magazine yet, you think they'd send the magazines out a couple of days early. That is the fourth month in a row I've got that magazine late. Anyways :rolleyes:

Your wrong! Read above posts. SD viewers are unaffected be HD swap!
    So you now have Sky1 HD on 106. SD viewers still have Sky1 on 106.
    Sky Atlantic HD will be on 108 for HD customers. Sky Atlantic for SD customers will also be on 108. And so on.....
    So everyone's happy!

Same, I can't wait for Sky Atlantic tonight! Boardwalk Empire!! Gonna be brill!

• Advertisement
Advertisement