Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Sky Shake-up

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sky Atlantic is now also available on the Sky Player!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mrdsmith wrote: »
    MTV, about time it has been added to the Entertainment section, great channel.
    :eek: It's bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mrdsmith

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's your opinion, and your entitled to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

we didnt really gain any channels because we lost Bravo and +1 and also Channel one and +1 and some of the living channels.
    all in all though the HD swap is good. just wait for the fun if you cancel the HD and see if it will go back to the SD bouquet

For people who have received their Sky Magazines, is the pull out channel line up in the mag?

we didnt really gain any channels because we lost Bravo and +1 and also Channel one and +1 and some of the living channels.
    all in all though the HD swap is good. just wait for the fun if you cancel the HD and see if it will go back to the SD bouquet
    True...we didn't gain any channels....but instead we got better quality channels.
    In fairness, Channel One was awful. The only thing I ever watched on it was V.
    Bravo was alright, but I can understand Sky's logic for closing it down.
    TBH i don't miss either of the channels.

I would imagine if you cancelled your HD subscription the EPG would go back to the SD way. Because it is your viewing card which controls it. So I doubt that there will be any problems reagarding that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Should have been cancelled altogether like the Bravo channels:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's your opinion, and your entitled to it!

Well mine and at least 4 others who've read this thread, and that makes it fact :p

For people who have received their Sky Magazines, is the pull out channel line up in the mag?

Not in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

BArra wrote: »
    Mtv being added to variety pack, didn't know this but very good.!

I turned it on for a full 12 seconds but it was god damned painful to watch, the channel resembles a guantanamo torture technique..... :D

Well mine and at least 4 others who've read this thread, and that makes it fact :p

Not in mine.

Look, I watch the programmes that's on MTV, so I'm just glad that they finally moved it out of the Music category and into the Entertainment category. It now doesn't take me as long to get to the channel. I couldn't care less if you or anyone else watches the channel or not.

I didn't think they would put it into the mag. Must be only for the UK customers (as usual :rolleyes:). I'm surprised they didn't spend some money to make a "pull out and keep guide" of the new guide for Ireland, considering the money they must have spent to make the fancy video on the Anytime, and the website which they made for it aswell. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

i've had sky arts all day, anyone else?

the corpo wrote: »
    i've had sky arts all day, anyone else?

Sky Arts 1 and Sky Arts 2 have now been added to the Variety Pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Yeah it came with mine today.

You can view it on the Sky website too

Owenw wrote: »
    Yeah it came with mine today.

You can view it on the Sky website too

Ah right grand. Nah, i'm not too bothered whether I get it or not, I was just wondering.
    I haven't even got the magazine yet! Considering they were changing the guide, and informing customers about it via the magazine, they could have at least sent out the mag a day or two earlier to ensure that everyone finds out about it on time.
    Its been ages since I've got that magazine on time. :rolleyes: So anything that the magazine recommends watching on the 1st of the month, I never get to watch cause I don't know about it. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Ah right grand. Nah, i'm not too bothered whether I get it or not, I was just wondering.
    I haven't even got the magazine yet! Considering they were changing the guide, and informing customers about it via the magazine, they could have at least sent out the mag a day or two earlier to ensure that everyone finds out about it on time.
    Its been ages since I've got that magazine on time. :rolleyes: So anything that the magazine recommends watching on the 1st of the month, I never get to watch cause I don't know about it. Lol.

The Hills on MTV maybe....lol!

I cant understand the logic of having Sky 2 and 3 all over the place.

Most broadcasters would want to keep their channels grouped togeather, but Sky appear to not care about this.

I like the new line up, I just wish we could delete channels, plenty of crap between the top channels and movies now!

plenty of crap on sky altogether. i would say most people only watch 5 or six channels then the sports and docs and the rest are free anyway. the sky mag is only a ploy by sky to escape the VAT on each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

plenty of crap on sky altogether. i would say most people only watch 5 or six channels then the sports and docs and the rest are free anyway. the sky mag is only a ploy by sky to escape the VAT on each one.

We get great value from Sky in my house,the only things watched on FTA are the soaps(not by me I must add),FX,Living and Documentaries are popular,even the better half likes Sky Atlantic.I would delete a good bit such as shopping and slut on a sofa channels if I could but a lot of decent stuff on too.
    Hope you enjoy NOT watching it.

It seems any time a thread is started about pay tv we end up with the same few posters hijacking it to complain about it being a rip-off and the country should all go get FTA. I have Sky as I stated and while I agree it can be expensive but you get what you pay for.FTA suits a lot of people but not me or a lot of others,I don't hijack threads about FTA and claim it's rubbish and that everyone should sign up to Sky or UPC.
    But it's a free country and we are all entitled to our opinions but sometimes I hate them being forced upon me.

i have sky and im only saying that most people watch only 10 channels plus the sports and docs. alot of the channels inbetween are never even looked at. i never said anything about FTA or those channels and agree than the FTA is nowhere as good as sky.

• Advertisement

i have sky and im only saying that most people watch only 10 channels plus the sports and docs. alot of the channels inbetween are never even looked at. i never said anything about FTA or those channels and agree than the FTA is nowhere as good as sky.

Apologies-your post just came across as such that I thought you were one of the FTA fanatics that pop up here and complain everytime Sky is mentioned.
    I have FTA in other rooms in my house and it serves it's purpose their but that's all-serves a purpose (mostly soaps or reality tv lol) Sky is for the main tv and at about €2 a day I find it value compared to what I could be spending it on-a rubbish tabloid is nearly that price now and I only bought them for the sport news which I get on SSN and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I'd like to see sky going a bit further in future.

Something like for example, if your watching E4 and want E4+1 then have it incorporated as an option, like press yellow for +1 or something. Also maybe a button for toggling between HD and SD. I know you may think why would you ever do that, but there are sometimes I switch. I set my TV to JustScan (1:1 pixel mapping), for HD channels this brings the entire picture into view. You may not notice but if your TV is 16:9 then you might just viewing a slightly zoomed image. So some shows that are 4:3 have bars either side on HD using JustScan. Some shows I rather watch as they were recorded, others I, and others watching TV in the house, will stretch, so usually just switch back to SD in this case as SD always has it stretched.

(Or the most obvious idea, put all +1 channels right next to the main channel :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sky have to let Nigeria Movies and the like onto the EPG, they have no choice.

no problem. i know what you mean. you cant beat sky at the min. the FTA doesnt work like sky. and there is nothing out there at the min that will record 2 channels and the DTT thats out at the min. plus the menu on sky is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

no problem. i know what you mean. you cant beat sky at the min. the FTA doesnt work like sky. and there is nothing out there at the min that will record 2 channels and the DTT thats out at the min. plus the menu on sky is great.
    I have to agree with you and with Sky Atlantic HD you can't go wrong with Sky, if you want quality you have to pay for it, and if you don't stick to FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭denis1501

Anybody got any idea why, despite having a HD box and sub, I still see (for example) Sky One SD on 106 and the HD version on 170????
    I have an Amstrad box with the latest software.
    Also have a Sky World sub but Sky Sports 4 sd is scrambled??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

denis1501 wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea why, despite having a HD box and sub, I still see (for example) Sky One SD on 106 and the HD version on 170????
    I have an Amstrad box with the latest software.
    Also have a Sky World sub but Sky Sports 4 sd is scrambled??

1. take out your card.
    2. reboot the box by turning off at the mains for 30 secs.
    3. insert card.

see if that works?

irishgeo wrote: »
    1. take out your card.
    2. reboot the box by turning off at the mains for 30 secs.
    3. insert card.

see if that works?

Tried it but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Localised adverts on the standard definition channels would be my guess.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Localised adverts on the standard definition channels would be my guess.

Nah mate.

I have Sky HD, Living HD and Atlantic HD on 106-108.

I would call Sky.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Nah mate.

I have Sky HD, Living HD and Atlantic HD on 106-108.

I would call Sky.

Came home from work and everything is now as it should be.

• Advertisement

denis1501 wrote: »
    Came home from work and everything is now as it should be.

*thumbs up smiley* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I have had Sky for years. I then got the Freesat Humax PVR for the main British channels. I find that more and more we are watching the Freesat channels. I'm waiting for an approach that will put the main Irish channels on the Freesat EPG and then it'll be bye bye to Sky. The final straw has been the refusal of Sky to put the itv channels, or the hd versions of other British channels on the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

NewHillel wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an approach that will put the main Irish channels on the Freesat EPG

This will never happen. I would suggest Saorview for the Irish channels.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    This will never happen. I would suggest Saorview for the Irish channels.

I am pretty certain that Saorsat will be on my Humax HDR Freesat EPG. (Amazing what a little Firmware hack will achieve. :D)

NewHillel wrote: »
    I am pretty certain that Saorsat will be on my Humax HDR Freesat EPG. (Amazing what a little Firmware hack will achieve. :D)

So long as you have the dish pointed at the right satellite.

zerks wrote: »
    So long as you have the dish pointed at the right satellite.

Or, I have a second dish, and a multiswitch and diplexer :)
    That's the theory, anyway. Time will tell.

Advertisement