Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking minipill while pregnant

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Am doing the test tomorrow, but have same specific symptoms as previous pregnancies, so feel pretty sure. (This was not planned btw!, Was told minipill only 90% effective, so guess I am the one in ten!) Think I am probably 5/6 weeks gone and have continued to take the minipill just in case I am not pregnant. Now thinking this was not a good idea, has anyone else done this and been ok? Also as not a planned pregnancy I have not been taking folic acid etc. Will do asap if test positive.

I feel more anxious than ever this time, because of so many reasons; my age (39), more aware of what can go wrong/complications, other small children losing out on my time and financial reasons, house and car too small and no means to change this! We will feel blessed to have another one, but I feel so worried this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Read the care leaflet that can with your mini pill. It should state that if you think you are pregant to stop taking it. the only way to know is to do a test and if it was an unexpected pregnany then I would suggest going for some pregnancy couselling while you figure out what you want to do.

http://www.positiveoptions.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Take the folic acid anyway can't do any harm, just hard to hide the stuff! Love your user name, made me laugh. Hope it turns out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Deffo keeping it!, there would never have been any question about that. We are blessed, but it's going to take a while to get used to the idea!

Just beware anyone else out there on the minipill (POP)!!!! I thought I was careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was ridiculously careful on the normal strength pill (yasmin). Took it exact same time every day etc., and still pregnany due to pill fail!
    With the normal pill, if you take it 100% correctly (which in fairness, as paranoid as I was about it, I still probably didn't do...) there's still that 0.1% chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Am 0.1% is 1 in 1000; if there are 1,000,000 women in Ireland and 500,000 of them are on the pill, that means 500 get pregnant!

Mini pill worse at 1 in 10 (I wasn't told this).

It's not even worth the bad moods and lack of sex drive!

OP If your test is neg and you still think its too early, you could try clear blue first responce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

http://www.rxlist.com/yasmin-drug.htm

and the reference they've used for the table in the 2nd page of this is:

Lactational Amenorrhea Method: LAM is highly effective, temporary method of contraceptionj
    Source: Trussell J, Contraceptive efficacy. In Hatcher RA, Trussell J, Stewart F, Cates W, Stewart GK, Kowal D, Guest F, Contraceptive Technology: Seventeenth Revised Edition. New York NY: Irvington Publishers, 1998.

(I realise not the most recent reference,and also from the States rahter than Ireland, but a lot of these effectiveness of chemical contraceptive studies were done in the 90s and still valid!)

Table mentioned above indicates %age of women experiencing accidental pregnancy within the first year of use (of form of contraception) with perfect use - 0.5% for POP pill and 0.1% for combined pill. :eek:

Am surprised this is the first time I'm pregnant!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

my friend got pregnant on the mini pill and didn't realise for 3 months! obviously not that on to it with her cycle...she just kept taking it for the whole first trimester and her little boy is perfect...not ideal obviously but they were both grand...

Advertisement