Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks across my plasterwork in various rooms

• 18-01-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi.....

Am starting to see a few hairline cracks in the plasterworks above door sills etc...

Any tips on how to fill them and get them flush again withj rest of the plaster?

What makes etc should I use and and tips??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

You probably got a few setlling cracks going on. Can you post pics? How old is the property?

To fix them you may fill them with polyfiller. However for a better job, dig them out slightly with a scraper, 2-3 mm deep, and cover with Lafarge. Apply the same as polyfiller although it is premixed. Apply a second coat bringing the edges out over exsisting filler by say 30%.If the cracks are big, usually where ceilings meet walls you may add mesh tape as this will make it stronger, pre filling. Sand smoothly and paint the area. It may require another coat of filler if your filling/sanding doesnt look great.

It won't take long, drying time between coats is the longest part.

Phil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Phil....

House is 15 yrs old.

I reckon that with the heating on 24/7 over the past few weeks....it could have brought them on!!

Alos.. notice on some doors that get some good banging by the kids (Bathroom!) ... the cracks are above the door going upwards. Not all the way to the ceiling... just hairline cracks.

It justs catches my eye each time I pass by... and so the desire to fill them!! Obvious;y .. don't fancy re-painting the room as I probably can't remember teh make /model of the original paint.

QUESTION.... as there are hairline... will just Polyfila do teh job???
    What strenght sandpaper would be best to ensure i don't do any further damage??

Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yes polyfiller will do in that case. Try 150 grit sandpaper. Remember to put the filler on light and smooth, muliple coats is better than one heavy. Two coats will be more than enough. A good filling knife that is straight and no dings on the end will improve your job no end.

Phil.

Advertisement