Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was RTE News now?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello,

I used to log in to the site as RTE News and now I have a new user name?

Checked the old email in case I missed something but nothing?

Anyone can explain?

Sorry should this be in technical?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hiya,

From the boards.ie Terms of Use:
    Usernames

You may not select or use a username that:

* Contains "Boards" or otherwise misrepresents your relationship with Boards.ie or any other party;
    * Contains any profanity, is vulgar or offensive, or promotes an illegal activity;
    * Violates any trademark or other proprietary right; or
    * Misleadingly impersonates someone else.

We reserve the rights to change usernames at our discretion.

So I think in that case, the name "RTE News" would have needed to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

RTE News fo life
    RTE News sucks

You get the idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Silverfish wrote: »
    Hiya,

From the boards.ie Terms of Use:

So I think in that case, the name "RTE News" would have needed to be changed.

I read the term of use and I did not see anything wrong with the name. Just a name. There was no fada used either.

I was going to use Pat Kenny but that was in use? I also tried a few other names but they were gone also and would probably fall under this rule too

I can give examples but will they end up having to chose new user names too :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think your current name is pretty ok, fwiw.

I'm sure a few users could tell you I have a knack for usernames - if you wish I will baptise you in the holy Internet fire of my awesome name making glory. You can choose from these amazing categories:
    • Lewd (will cause people to judge your posts before reading them)
    • Topical (guaranteed to carbon date your account to within a 6-month period for future generations)
    • Gravitas (sounds like you're one dude who takes things a bit too seriously)
    • Punderful (a play on words, might be funny, might just be erudite)
    • The King's Trifle (meaningless, but sounds like it might be an in-joke, quirky lulz)

Personally, despite the fact that you're probably repeatedly going for the "topical" section, I think The King's Trifle is the way to go for you. Here are but a few potentials:
    • Kafka's Murderous Revenge
    • Etching of a Burberry Cap
    • Fluted Columns Don't Fly
    • Eldritch Jukebox
    • Dinosaur Song
    • Paper Firehose

I read the term of use and I did not see anything wrong with the name. Just a name. There was no fada used either.

I was going to use Pat Kenny but that was in use? I also tried a few other names but they were gone also and would probably fall under this rule too

Well, its broken 3 out of the 4 listed above :)

So you can pick another name within the rules and we can change it to that, or you can pick one of CuLT's suggestions above if you absolutely, completely, utterly cannot think of anything else.

• Advertisement

Well, its broken 3 out of the 4 listed above :)

So you can pick another name within the rules and we can change it to that, or you can pick one of CuLT's suggestions above if you absolutely, completely, utterly cannot think of anything else.

hiya,

Look its all cool and the gang as far as I am concerned and I appreciate the answers and Cults efforts :) But.. and I don't ask this antagonisticly...

What 3 of 4 do you mean? I am just curious! I can't honestly see it.

In the mean time I will engage the brain cogs and see what I can come up with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

CuLT wrote: »
    • Eldritch Jukebox

That. That is the name of the pub I shall build when I'm retired. CuLT can have free pints for coming up with the name.

You don't see how calling yourself RTE News might be 1) misrepresenting your relationship with another party, 2) violating any trademark or other proprietary right, or 3) misleadingly impersonating someone else?

OP is lucky he is getting a chance to change an ill thought out user name, not all of us have that privilege!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    OP is lucky he is getting a chance to change an ill thought out user name, not all of us have that privilege!
    You could argue that you're misleadingly impersonating someone else :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Can we not do a hidden donation raffle to pick his new name? Money going to what ever charity Boards supports?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Besides if you stuck with the name RTE News you'd have to cut your most important posts short and everyone would have to rely on another user to finish it off

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just add an A in front of it to make arte news and then all your posts will be dubbed in German and French. Classy, but mostly uninformative.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mussolini, if you want I'll do a name change for you to show there are no hard feelings. PM me.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Drop me a line - hello@boards.ie, with what you'd like it changed to :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'd go with Stalin, Mao or Hitler.

DeVore wrote: »
    Mussolini, if you want I'll do a name change for you to show there are no hard feelings. PM me.

DeV.
    Darragh wrote: »
    Drop me a line - hello@boards.ie, with what you'd like it changed to :)
    Cheers lads, I will have to get the thinking cap on!

lol!

Kim Jong-feeling under the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

CHOCOLATEMUSSOLINI, ftw tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Put up a poll. A deed poll. Have a prize - a deed poll pot.

• Advertisement

You don't see how calling yourself RTE News might be 1) misrepresenting your relationship with another party, 2) violating any trademark or other proprietary right, or 3) misleadingly impersonating someone else?

Well no really. :p

I didn't do any of those things. You might think I have and the evidence would say no. Like show me where I said I was actually RTE News or representing them? You might have a point on the trade mark thing I wouldn't know tbh.

Thats 1 of 4 and not three. Actually all yours were examples of one point in four. I think that is what confused me :) I thought I was being stupid.

Now I know that member I mentioned, Pat Kenny, also contravenes the same rules but I think it would be harsh to change his name :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hiya, I'm afraid we've had trouble from a couple of people in the past pretending they were, or represented the organisations mentioned in their username, so we are very careful about certain usernames, and yes, if RTE had spotted you with the name, I can almost guarantee they'd want it changed.

Let me know what username you'd like it changed to and if it's available, it's yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I want mine changed to "Brian Cowen's Underpants" - so I command respect and authority with everything I say. No matter what I write, people will read it, respect what I've said and never argue with me again, because their subconscious mind will indeed think I am a pair of Brian Cowen's underpants and they would feel that arguing with a pair of underpants belonging to an ex Taoiseach would be futile.

Advertisement