Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Science - Maths/

Options
  • 19-01-2011 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello,

I'm filling out my CAO at the moment and I'm keen on putting Maths In UCD as my second option, but I'm a bit confused. I thought the CAO code for Mathematical Sciences specifically was DN032 (according to http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm) but it seems like this doesn't exist, as CAO won't recognise it?

So I put down Science - DN200 as my second option, and chose the Mathematical and Physical sciences option.

My question is, is it possible to choose the Mathematics or Mathematical Sciences degree first thing going into DN200?

Because if it's possible I'd rather do as little Physics as possible (although I acknowledge there'll probably be some overlap between Maths and Physics)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

They've removed all denominated courses except for Computer Science, Archaeology and Geology, and BAFS. Access to degree programmes is now only through DN200. It's grand though, since you can just pick the streams that you want and you'll be assigned to classes as if you were doing the denominated course. I'm in omnibus science but I'm doing the same classes as Theoretical Physics students. It also means that it's not exactly necessary to achieve a certain grade to get into your desired course.

Oh, also, first year Mathematics has only 3 core modules and one option module (which is a core module for mathematical science students). Those modules are also done through Mathematical Science. You can pick two streams when registering so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ryanmc

Thanks a million! :) Thats set that straight anyways.

If it was no hassle would you know if theres a link anywhere where I can see the Maths modules you were talking about? I tried finding out myself but Im not really sure how the whole module thing in college works.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm
    Scroll down and click on Science. Then click on DN008 Science Omnibus. If you scroll down some more in that list you'll find a list of programmes accessible through Science. It will show you what modules are in stage 1 for whatever course you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

No love for Mathematical Physics? For shame, everybody knows that Statistics is the greatest evil of the School of Mathematical Sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There is a large overlap between maths and physics. If your any way intolerant of physics, I'd talk to someone doing the course. What area of maths specifically interests you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Truth be told Mathematics in Trinity/Maynooth is what you should be looking at if you don't want a physics crossover. It's a shame that UCD doesn't do a pure maths course as well, with some of the teachers we have it could potentially be the best in the country ( don't even talk to me about the sh1tty arts stream)

Never got why UCD has no "pure" maths course. Wouldn't interest me but it strike me as very odd.

Actually yeah that probably was a bit of a sweeping statement saying "no physics!" I really like probability, calculus and mechanics (which is physics of course) what I mean really is that id prefer to avoid things like electricity and electronics and practical experiments and all that. I dunno why but I just prefer the calculating side of things.

Maybe im just being too fussy anyways, it looks like a really good course still so thats the main thing!

ryanmc wrote: »
    Actually yeah that probably was a bit of a sweeping statement saying "no physics!" I really like probability, calculus and mechanics (which is physics of course) what I mean really is that id prefer to avoid things like electricity and electronics and practical experiments and all that. I dunno why but I just prefer the calculating side of things.

Maybe im just being too fussy anyways, it looks like a really good course still so thats the main thing!

You sound like an Engineer. Have you given it any thought? Its a great course and is fascinating. I'm doing it myself in UCD. Not the biggest maths head myself but its very diverse with plenty of scope e.g. Horizons. With due respect, you'd come out with a much better degree at the end as opposed to an un-denominated Arts course.

Yeah I was thinking engineering for a good while, mechanical mainly but I eventually ruled it out, to be honest its just cos Im going with my gut and I think Id prefer the more maths sided stuff.

I know it sounds dead boring! I just really prefer working with numbers and all that and I had a look at the modules and they seem really interesting.

The only reason I ruled it out is cos I wouldnt be too good at the practical side (klutz basically) UCDs supposed to be the best in the country for engineering I heard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you're interested in the financial side of maths and statistics, Actuarial and Financial Studies (it was DN020, I think it's changed now) is something to consider. It's very mathsy, contains probability and calculus (not mechanics as far as I'm aware), with the addition of statistics, economics and a small bit of accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

ironclaw wrote: »
    Never got why UCD has no "pure" maths course. Wouldn't interest me but it strike me as very odd.
    As far as I know Mathematics is offered as a subject stream in Science at the very least. Anyhow the Mathematical Science course is basically the same as a Mathematics course if the TCD Maths degree was to be used as a comparison.

If you're interested in the financial side of maths and statistics, Actuarial and Financial Studies (it was DN020, I think it's changed now) is something to consider. It's very mathsy, contains probability and calculus (not mechanics as far as I'm aware), with the addition of statistics, economics and a small bit of accounting.

I'd be leaning towards a higher Maths course too if I was you OP. If you really want to do Maths and make a career of it, an Arts course is not the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Mathematical Science is pretty Physicsy, but the crossover is very much the abstract stuff from the school of Applied and Computational Maths (ACM, formerly Maths Physics MAPH).

Pure Math is a course in UCD. It's in Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cartier

Raphael wrote: »
    Pure Math is a course in UCD. It's in Arts.

Both of these statements are not correct. Go to

http://mathsci.ucd.ie/

Click on "Undergraduate Programmes", then "Mathematics (DN200 MPS)".

Also, note that UCD Maths has three distinct research groups in pure mathematics, namely

1) Algebra and Number Theory (Astier, Hutchinson, Osburn, Smigoc, Unger, Zwegers),

2) Analysis (Boyd, Gardiner, Ghergu, Mackey, Render, Smith) and

3) Coding and Cryptography (Byrne, Gow, Greferath, Higgs, McGuire).

Each of these groups holds a weekly research seminar and has graduate students and postdocs.

cartier wrote: »
    Both of these statements are not correct. Go to

How are they incorrect? Its still an Arts course and not a pure Maths course. When I say pure maths I mean the likes of Cambridge:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/mathematics.html

Thats a 3 or 4 year course in just maths and you'll come out with a BA not a BSc. Theres nothing wrong with a BSc but if you wanted a career in pure Maths you'd be better off in a refined BA course. With UCD, you pick and choose:

http://www.ucd.ie/science/courses/downloads/2011_pathways/UCD_Applied_and_Computational_Mathematics_Pathway.pdf

How are they incorrect? Its still an Arts course and not a pure Maths course. When I say pure maths I mean the likes of Cambridge:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/mathematics.html

Thats a 3 or 4 year course in just maths and you'll come out with a BA not a BSc. Theres nothing wrong with a BSc but if you wanted a career in pure Maths you'd be better off in a refined BA course. With UCD, you pick and choose:

http://www.ucd.ie/science/courses/downloads/2011_pathways/UCD_Applied_and_Computational_Mathematics_Pathway.pdf
    I have ACM down as one of my streams but it seems a year behind Mathematical Science on all the fun ACM modules like Fluid Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics. But sure I think you can pick them since there are many modules which you can take a year before their core stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ruski wrote: »
    all the fun ACM modules like Fluid Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics.
    Bless your little cotton socks...

Bless your little cotton socks...
    I should have used inverted commas to make irony more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭postgrad23

Mathematical science is a different course to maths. You can do pure maths through arts or science in UCD. Science is 4 years and arts is 3 years. In both cases you would have to take another subject or two other subjects in first year, so in science you would have the option of doing some biology, geology or chemistry say, whereas in arts you can do humanities or languages along with maths. You wouldn't ever HAVE TO do physics.

Editing to say:
    When I say "pure maths" I mean maths will be the only subject you study for your final exams. You will have to do other subjects in first year, but that's a good thing in my opinion, especially coming straight from secondary school where you're studying seven subjects. I really liked zoology and botany in first year. Languages could also be useful for any career, and you could go on erasmus or do a masters in another country if you kept your european language up to scratch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement