Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black mark on photos

• 19-01-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Nikon D40, recently there's been a black mark appearing in the top right corner of any photos I've taken (I can't upload an example at tte moment)
    I can't seem to find what's causing the problem, please help!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

could be dirt on the sensor......dirt on the lens ...internal part of the camera may be loose.

would need to see examples to assess.

When was the sensor last cleaned? ...have you looked at the sensor to see if theres anything on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Opps, sorry, forgot to put it it's definitely not the lens as I changed over to another one and the mark is still there. I had a look inside but couldn't see anything that obvious.
    Could you advise how best to clean the sensor.
    I'll try uploading an example again, nope still won't let me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sounds like dust on the sensor, there are many home kits available to clean the sensor yourself, just make sure you have the correct sized swabs and correct fluid for your sensor type.

http://vimeo.com/4085510

If you can't upload a sample pic here, just upload it to flickr,photobucket,pix.ie ..etc and post the link ...

thats just dust/dirt on the sensor (theres also a spot in the center of the frame)

theres sensor cleaning kits you can buy ...or you can get it cleaned at some camera shops.

I'm not a nikon person (Canon fan) ... but theres swabs which you can buy which are designed specifically for the sensor - should take care of it.

I would recommend against using "clean air" or spray air onto the sensor....it could cause damage..... sensors are sensitive.

• Advertisement

Oh phew! I was dreading getting some bad news!
    That spot is a bird :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

That's not dirt! This is dirt.......:)

0CDD18A885E740278F37A24C148033A2-0000320339-0002104948-00700L-A1EB08153AFE4F9282B2F7D59D509B00.jpg

That one's definitely a better dirt bird then mine!! :P

quick clean of the sensor and it'll be as good as new.

Could you (pl) recommend a cleaning kit, or is there a do it yourself variety??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am thinking we should start a movement "Dirty & Proud" where we celebrate the individiual & unique combinations of sensor dust.

It would be like a watermark to identify your work. If Sharpness, Exposure, White Balance and Composition are concepts which stand in the way of True Art then surely a clean senson should be shunned also. Each mark will be a sign of experience and an indication of your progress to complete artistic enlightenment. Lets shun the Puritans and embrace the Luvvies while we say it loud "I'm Dirty and I'm Proud!"

..... or you can just disregard that and clean your sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Could you (pl) recommend a cleaning kit, or is there a do it yourself variety??

Give zerohamster a shout hes on boards ,excellent at servicing/repairs and good rates ,better to get it cleaned properly rather than attacking it yourself i,d say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Following on from Cabansail's point about shunning the puritans, you may have a valid point! I nearly cloned out some birds in the distance from one photograph when I mistakenly took them for dirt marks :eek:

I have used Green Clean Sensor cleaning swabs before and have found them to be effective:
    http://www.green-clean.at/en/camera/sensor-cleaning-system/
    They only cost me about a fiver at the time

I notice that the sensor gets dirty on the 5D a lot and that doesn't have a sensor cleaning system built in as far as I am aware. The newer cameras should have less of this really...

I cant recommend some cleaning products for nikon sensors so.... http://tinyurl.com/487q9oz

I guess they would be products from the people that I use: (I have several different products for cleaning my sensors - all for Canon)

if you google "sensor swab" you should find some products.

Advertisement