Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local council have bought houses in our private estate

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I would just like to know where I stand on this,Is there anything the rest of us can do who payed the full whack for our houses,It doesn't seem fair that I work hard everyday for my house and now people will get the same house handed to them for 50 quid a week

I have nothing against the majority of people from council estates ( I was brought up on one and my last house was also a council house ) I moved out of the council house and bought my new home because of the anti social behavior in that area.

Where do we stand ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

You dont really stand anywhere.

You bought your house for x amount.
    The council bought houses in the same development for x amount.
    The fact that they rent them out at 50euro a week doesn't really come into it.

In terms of anti social behavior, one cant really guess about the people who move in. After all anti social behavior could easily be caused by people / or children of people, who bought alongside you.

Best case is its only a handful of houses and therefore any problems are diluted.

Who paid what doesn't really come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I have nothing against the majority of people from council estates ( I was brought up on one and my last house was also a council house )

Sounds like they are getting the same deal you did when you were younger.

Nothing you can do short of getting elected TD and changing the laws that allow for social welfare from cradle to grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

...I was brought up on one and my last house was also a council house...

...Where do we stand ??

In a deep pit of hypocrisy by the sounds of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Where do we stand ??

You stand in your own house or garden, minding your own business. That is what most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I would just like to know where I stand on this,Is there anything the rest of us can do who payed the full whack for our houses,It doesn't seem fair that I work hard everyday for my house and now people will get the same house handed to them for 50 quid a week

I have nothing against the majority of people from council estates ( I was brought up on one and my last house was also a council house ) I moved out of the council house and bought my new home because of the anti social behavior in that area.

Where do we stand ??

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/ go down to where it says

Further Guidelines Part V of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2002

and read that document. That should answer your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You chose to buy your house at the price you paid for it.

What happens with other houses doesn't have anything to do with what you decided to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My daughter and her son live in such a house as do a few of her neighbours, from what I have seen they are better behaved than many of the home owners/ private tenants that live in her neighourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Where do we stand ??
    Did you sell your council house when you left it? or did you hand the keys back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

It sounds like a new estate where the builder sold x amount of houses to the council.if you move into an estate where theres alot of empty units theres always a chance this would happen.IT seems unfair,you bought a price x ,if you had known this would happen you probably would have bought
    elsewhere.
    IT would be safer to buy in an older estate with no units owned by the builder.I think the same thing will happen in certain areas where theres apartment blocks with many empty units, the council will buy up say 30 units at a discount price.IS that fair on the first buyers who paid 250k for an apartment?Presuming there would not be council tenants living there.
    i see many areas where its cheaper for the council to buy rather than build ,ie apartments going for 100k or less.Go and see your td ,if you feel strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you prefer vacant properties that would drag the area down through vacancy, dereliction, vandalism, arson, squatting, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Is there anything the rest of us can do who payed the full whack for our houses,It doesn't seem fair that I work hard everyday for my house and now people will get the same house handed to them for 50 quid a week

You're not going to get much sympathy on this OP. Any one of your neighbours could also decide to sell up or rent out, you wouldn't get to choose their replacements either. And with things they way they are, you're as likely to get a nice family in difficult financial straits as a troublesome one. I'd focus my energies on forging a good relationship with the new neighbours rather than starting out by protesting against them before you've even met them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF nama give units to local councils, they,d have no incentive to buy houses ,but lots of empty houses pose a safety risk, and could bring down prices for other residents if they are left empty or not maintained properly.
    WHO s gonna buy in an estate with many empty units,its risky for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Where do we stand ??

When you buy your house you literally get the four walls and the garden (if any).

You don't get any rights to dictate who buys other houses near you.

So yeah like another poster said you stand in your own house and mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

OP In your situation, You can choose your friends you cant choose your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

Where do we stand ??
    deal with it.uve no rights on this matter.im sure u would have jumped at the chance of getting one for 50 a week.anyway were do u suggest they go.if theres no available council houses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Does anyone in this fine forum know the rules(if any), regarding Council Housing in any one row of private houses. Westmeath Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I can see where OP is coming from. I live in a rented house with my mam, used to be a quiet road. About 1-2 years ago, 3-4 houses had families move in and now I can't wait to move out. The type to stand in their garden watching their idiot children run out in front of cars without looking and won't tell them otherwise. One of parents brought a bat out and was threatening to hit someone who allegedly "hit" his kid with a car, i.e the kid ran into the car.

Everytime I drive onto my road, there's 6-10 of them playing in the middle of the road and don't get out of the way or will look right at me and STILL walk right in front of the car as you're driving along. Doesn't matter if it's 10kph you're still at risk of hitting one of them. There's a massive green around the corner and they still have a massive goalpost in the middle of the road and will only move it when I'm an inch from driving into it.

My sister's car is covered in dents from footballs. Little knackers is all they are. "Ah they're only playing" is probably what they'd say.

Nothing we can do about it, but when you're from a vile council estate like myself, getting knocked around as a kid, windows smashed in, cars burnt out in the driveway then move to a nice quiet area with families and hard working 9 to 5 types, it's frustrating when you have loud mouthed ignorant people who think the world owes them something ruining what you work hard for.

That's not to say everyone in a council house is like this, this is purely from my experience of course. Fortunately the rest of the neighbors are quiet and keep to themselves. I'll probably get **** for this post but that's just how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I can see where OP is coming from. I live in a rented house with my mam, used to be a quiet road. About 1-2 years ago, 3-4 houses had families move in and now I can't wait to move out. The type to stand in their garden watching their idiot children run out in front of cars without looking and won't tell them otherwise. One of parents brought a bat out and was threatening to hit someone who allegedly "hit" his kid with a car, i.e the kid ran into the car.

Everytime I drive onto my road, there's 6-10 of them playing in the middle of the road and don't get out of the way or will look right at me and STILL walk right in front of the car as you're driving along. Doesn't matter if it's 10kph you're still at risk of hitting one of them. There's a massive green around the corner and they still have a massive goalpost in the middle of the road and will only move it when I'm an inch from driving into it.

My sister's car is covered in dents from footballs. Little knackers is all they are. "Ah they're only playing" is probably what they'd say.

Nothing we can do about it, but when you're from a vile council estate like myself, getting knocked around as a kid, windows smashed in, cars burnt out in the driveway then move to a nice quiet area with families and hard working 9 to 5 types, it's frustrating when you have loud mouthed ignorant people who think the world owes them something ruining what you work hard for.

That's not to say everyone in a council house is like this, this is purely from my experience of course. Fortunately the rest of the neighbors are quiet and keep to themselves. I'll probably get **** for this post but that's just how it is.

I hear you.

The good honest law abiding citizens of this country get nothing but screwed while the shower of wasters get rewarded for their behaviour.

Of course it's your business when someone gets handed something for nothing from your taxes while you have to pay for the same thing through hard work.

Totally unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

cursai wrote: »
    Does anyone in this fine forum know the rules(if any), regarding Council Housing in any one row of private houses. Westmeath Area.

I'm doing my best not to create a New thread lads.

The op is six years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What do you mean by "private estate" op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

vicwatson wrote: »
    What do you mean by "private estate" op?

It's an estate where people,in the main, have respect for each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement